How do you decide when to stop?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I picked a goal range, not a number and dieted down to the upper end of that range then asked myself if I wanted to go further down into the range, and the answer was yes. At some point (a couple of months later), I started spinning my wheels because I kinda liked how I felt and looked so I didn't really have the motivation to lose more. I could afford to lose more, but I felt meh about the idea. I also considered my maintenance calories and thought if I go any lower I may not be able to maintain.

If I did decide to diet further down, my red line go no further stopping point would have been 20 BMI, just as my red line keep dieting until you hit it point was 30 BMI.
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    I used to ask that question myself. I have finally reached weight and fitness level where I feel good about my body. It’s hard to explain but I can tell when I go up a pound or down a pound without ever getting on the scales. Start by figuring your BMI, then once you’ve reached it, ring where you feel your best.
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,447 Member
    I am completely following this thread and am interested in others journey. I lost 40 pounds j a year and a half and am at the the top of healthy bmi and weight for my height. I am 5 foot 3, 140 pounds, and stronger and more fit than I have ever been! I look good, I am in a clothing size I am happy with.

I still have body fat in my middle due to three children and my nutrition choices previously. I'd love to firm that up. I've been trying to focus on meeting my macro and calorie goals and hoping my intensity. So I think recomp essentially.

Thanks for posting and for the discussion on this topic.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,967 Member
    My goal is a flexi-goal right now. The "main" number is what I weighed from my 20's into my early 30's, BUT, I've been doing a lot more focused weight lifting the past couple years, so I realize that I may be just as happy at a slightly higher scale number than I used to have.

Primary goal is still to get the shape I used to have, and get rid of the saddlebags. Once those are gone, I'll be pretty trim (they're the last thing to go), and really am not too concerned about the scale number once I get to that point. I'm finally to a point where they are starting to decrease in size (10-15 pounds to go), so I'll just keep an eye on my overall appearance as I get into the range I'm thinking I'll end up in.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I set my goal to a weight I looked good at when I was younger. Then decided to lose three more pounds so I’d have a bit of wiggle room in maintenance. Unintentionally lost two more than that. Then went on vacation in France, got sick once I was home, then had oral surgery, and have gained 4 pounds back. So those “wiggle room” pounds have been helpful! Currently trying to drop 2-3 pounds, which will also help keep me from going crazy during the holidays.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    I had a number in mind when I started losing weight, lost about 19 lbs then began strength training. My body shape has changed dramatically, and scale numbers no longer mean much to me. I decided to maintain when all my "thin" clothes fit me nicely again, but I have continued to do slow body recomp by lifting. I intend to continue improving my lifts/working on my fitness without too much focus on my weight. This way I can still eat enough to keep me happy while also staying healthy. Also curves are sexy- I'm not trying to lose them.
  • OkieFitness
    OkieFitness Posts: 43 Member
    I remember when I was in my mid 20s and weighed 160. I felt and looked awesome! Now 56, my initial goal is 170 to see how I feel at that point. Why? Something changed after my long term illness. I was not the skinny soccer player I used to be. I began to bulk up - which was a actually a good thing. I found muscle I didn’t have before. But then the mid age belly flab and laziness hit - both in exercise and eating habits. No more! About 11 pounds down since April. 17 to go. I figure if I hit 170 and think I need to lose 5-10 more? That’s gravy after losing 30. There’s also a pile of 32 waist shorts in my closet calling my name and lower blood pressure and cholesterol too. All great reasons to press on!
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    I had gone low twice to 156 lbs and I looked like a crack or meth addict ! I went up to a higher weight into the 210 lbs and had to reassess how I lose weight and what weight is realistic for me ( my body). So now although I never stopped working out at the gym, I’m now losing weight gradually and my wife helping me to see what weight level is good for me and my look. I tended to look at weight charts for my age and body type and I have to say that although helpful it has to be use as one of many tools for what weight I should maintain constantly. Lessons learned for me. It’s no good for me to be to slender or skinny and then looking older or sickly for the benefit of weight loss. I now am losing weight with how I’m feeling and how I look and youthful I look. So I have taken now all this into consideration. I might not have a six pack like before but I’m not looking too skinny like before. Now I look full but young and healthy and still lean enough to keep a balance for good help.
  • bear2303
    bear2303 Posts: 252 Member
    tecat810 wrote: »
    I am completely following this thread and am interested in others journey. I lost 40 pounds j a year and a half and am at the the top of healthy bmi and weight for my height. I am 5 foot 3, 140 pounds, and stronger and more fit than I have ever been! I look good, I am in a clothing size I am happy with.

I still have body fat in my middle due to three children and my nutrition choices previously. I'd love to firm that up. I've been trying to focus on meeting my macro and calorie goals and hoping my intensity. So I think recomp essentially.

Thanks for posting and for the discussion on this topic.

We have VERY similar stats. I'm 5' 3" and currently weighing 137-140 lbs. I am also feeling good at this weight but have the same issues of weight in my midsection due to my two kids and honestly that's just where i carry weight. I'm also asian and therefore the "asian BMI" should have me sitting more at 126ish to be in a healthy BMI but I feel like that would be hard for me to maintain. I also lost 40 lbs! I was sitting right at 180 when i started!
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    I took a dart and shot it at the middle of my BMI and then figured out a range. I have the "I want to be around this most days of the year." And then the "my gluttonous birthday/holiday cap" levels were set. My intention is to settle in this range, but bodies are weird and I might not like myself in the middle of the BMI. I might have to go lower (bones? where? not yet for me!) or I might stay or I might go up a little, I don't know. I figure, I'd start there and then see. I have small bones (or at least I'm narrow around based on bra/jean size) and there's still quite a bit of flesh that I want to lean out from (I'm staring at you calves and thighs).

The quick answer is... I don't have a number I've got my heart set on. Instead, I'm set on losing my inner rubber duckie floatie settled around my hips (it's almost gone, yippeee yay!) and on slimming down the fat on my legs. Since I can't spot reduce, I'm working it until I feel comfortable and happy. Rough-guess, I've got 20lbs left. I do have a lot of muscle (yay lifting), so we'll see when I get there.

Go with your gut on how you feel and on what's sustainable. Sustainability >> feeling >> mirror/clothes store (for me).
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    I am 5'3" too!! I decided I'm in maintenance recently, even though technically I'm around 4 pounds over my "goal weight" which was what I weighed/what I looked like when I got married. I got married in my 20s though and that was two now teenager-kids ago -- my body just isn't gonna do that without a lack of any enjoyment. I don't look like I'm in my 20s anymore, nor should I, that's just how it goes. SO, I'm settled into a "settled into" body and just hoping that my 4x/week treadmill walking is enough to keep my heart and lungs healthy.

I've yo-yo'ed up and down the scale since I was a teenager, and maintenance has NEVER stuck (I am okay with dieting but somehow not staying down?? Sucks). This is the reason I'm on MFP now. To see if I can maintain, finally.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I picked what the calculators list as my "ideal" weight, which is about 107-110 pounds, a bmi of about 21. I might decide to stop before then, but I know from the last time I lost weight, that I wasn't happy with my original goal of 130 pounds, which is a bmi of 25, and wanted to lose more. That's consistent this time as that's about where my weight is now and I do want to lose more, although I'm definitely feeling like I don't need to lose a ton more, so that's good.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!