What food items do you splurge on $$$ wise?

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited November 2019
    Live 2-3# dungeness crabs and 15-20# slabs of NY strip steak.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Coffee, chocolate, vanilla extract, nut butters. I put vanilla in lots of stuff and spend a fortune on it, even though it’s not the best quality. It’s gotten so expensive.

I get my fish and produce from the farmer’s market which has good prices. Spices from the Indian market, same. I rarely eat meat so it’s not expensive to buy good quality in small amounts.
  • DannyFranky
    DannyFranky Posts: 8 Member
    I buy way too much seltzer water. Not the fancy stuff, but the store brand. I'll drink 1/2 gallon of seltzer per day. Other than that, I spend a lot on produce. Berries, mostly. I like those bagged chopped salads, too.
  • Coffees to go. They are a rip off but a necessity.
    Protein bars I find ridiculously pricey but I try and buy them in bulk.

Wine. I do t drink loads of it so I want a decent bottle.

• NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Fruit. Not because I want to (the ‘wonky’ stuff is just as good) but because it’s so flipping expensive! £2 for strawberries vs 60p for a cheesecake to serve 5....
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    edited November 2019
    Duck eggs, cheese, individual chocs from the local chocolatier and will only eat fresh fruit from M&S
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Olive oil has to be the best I can buy, feta cheese, meats (if I am going to have a t-bone steak I accept that it is going to cost me a small fortune).
    Splurge is maybe not the right word here for me. I won't buy something that is inexpensive just for the sake of price. There are plenty of soups, cereals, sliced meats that are much cheaper than the ones I opt to buy, but they generally are tasteless (or way too salty) and/or completely void of any nutritional value.
    Contrarily I can find a bottle of wine for $10 that tastes as good (for us anyway) as one twice the price.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,241 Member
    Cheese and steak are my splurge items.

A few other items I end up having to buy the more expensive option because of food restrictions and allergies. For example, I like to keep canned soup on hand for simple meals, especially for work. But the less expensive options always seem to find a way to get soy in them and I am allergic.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Nothing really. I guess I’m easily pleased. I’ve tried expensive, quality chocolates, and always go back to Dove dark chocolate Promises. I really like them best. If I want a great steak, I’ll buy it. It’s still cheaper than going out. I do splurge on Starbucks occasionally and realize many think it’s not the best coffee, but it suits me perfectly. I have very simple tastes.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    @Vune What is SNAP?
  • I actually like a lot of my local stores store brand items but the things that are always worth paying more for are salmon, most cheeses, chocolate croissants, and spices and oils.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Beef. Oxtail. Chicken has been expensive in our area lately. Cheeses.
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    We only eat sanderson farm chicken breasts. Every other kind has made my son sick. Dairy free everything due to allergies.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    @Vune What is SNAP?

Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program. Essentially, what used to be referred to as "food stamps".
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    @Vune What is SNAP?

Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program. Essentially, what used to be referred to as "food stamps".

Thank you! I never would have guessed. Appreciate it.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    I feel like the combination of being long-term vegetarian** and calorie counting to a lower goal are things that, for me personaly, reduce my costs to the point where I'm pretty willing to buy what I want without much considering careful budgeting. (**"Good" or even adequate meat/fish/seafood is often more relatively expensive than "good" or adequate veg protein foods, though not universally, obviously.)

I know this is a thing that depends on my personal tastes, as well as my personal finance (retired, modest middle-class-level income, but commensurately modest fixed expenses, too). When I'm going through phases of less alcohol consumption, that's even more true. (I'm not a super heavy drinker ever, but I go through phases of drinking very rarely, or a bit more often. When I do drink alcohol, I tend to prefer sampling craft beer at brewpubs, so the tips have to factor in, on top of the cost.)

So, I guess the biggies are good cheese (but in limited quantities because I can only fit a certain amount into my calorie/nutrition goals before quality declines); good chocolate, especially a locally-made coconut-oil-based product that's soooooo good (ditto on the calorie/nutrition limits); craft beer, especially IPAs; and farm-to-table or other special restaurant meals.

I do occasionally buy some other foods with startling per-pound costs (like fresh morels or exotic fruits), but the frequency and quantity make the actual cash outlay pretty small.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I “splurge” on good bread. I can’t get that cheap crap like Sara Lee etc. sandwiches are a million times better when they’re on good bread.