Need feedback on my LDL

2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    psychod787 wrote: »
    r2cool986 wrote: »
    Trust me, no need to freak out. I had the same issue, but you need to look at more than just the LDL to get a better picture of whats going on in your body. I highly recommend watching on Youtube, Dr. Berg explaining how high LDL is not too bad if you take in to account your HDL and total Cholesterol counts.

Here is the link, https://youtu.be/C6SVB99mJHA

Dr. Berg? Wth? What was your hdl? The ratio is important too.

I won't watch Dr. Berg because i cant stand his videos, but if the general premise is that there are different types of LDL and alone, its not a good indicator, I would agree. Especially if a person doesn't have a family history of heart attacks, and their triglycerides, a1c, CRP and fasting glucose are good.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    Thanks Everyone. I will do more research and go for the cat scan. Ugh. Was just confused and then shaken by the “shrug” response of one doc and then the very cautionary tone of the other.

@earlnabby and amiller92873 - my ratio is 2.78 (259 total, 93 hdl). I’ll have to learn more about what this means.

@lorrpb - I was accompanying my parents’ to their cardio appt and when we reviewed their cholesterol results, he turned to me (not a patient of his), and asked “by the way, do you ever check yours”. Once I shared what I thought would my ok numbers, that’s when he suggested I see him...ASAP. I’m thinking he knows my folks well and was being extra cautious (?) since he knows I’m their primary caretaker.

Thanks, All.

I'm happy to hear you are getting the cat scan to check for calcium. My husband has a genetic condition (same as Bob Harper of Biggest Loser) such that he has an elevated lipoprotein(a). I mention it because Repatha is one of the drugs they use to treat it (you mentioned it in your first post). I follow a forum for people with elevated Lp(a) and they have led me to believe that the calcium score is your most accurate predictor of CVD risk.

Hoping yours comes back zero, and you and your cardiologist can relax.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »

@earlnabby and amiller92873 - my ratio is 2.78 (259 total, 93 hdl). I’ll have to learn more about what this means.

Anything under 5 is considered normal range for the ratio so your number is a good one. Definitely read more about what it means to you in conjunction with everything else.