Dumbbells are Expensive!

Vune
Vune Posts: 673 Member
I've checked the usual "discount" stores, craigslist, and Facebook marketplace. Any secret places to find reasonably prices 15 lb dumbbells, or am I stuck paying at least $40 for a set?

Also, could I "season" rusty old dumbbells like I could a cast iron pan?

Replies

• jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    As a rule, weights - including dumbbells - run a dollar a pound for new. If they want.more than that, move on to another store.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Target and Amazon have options cheaper than $40
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2019
    I don't see why you couldn't remove the rust. I would not let some rust stop me.

I guess I got lucky, I got a pretty good deal on a barbell, plates, rack, bench etc. If it were me I'd just keep an eye out on facebook for a while. I also offered less than they had it listed for and they took it. A lot of workout equipment, people are just trying to get rid of it.
  • Vune
    Target and Amazon have options cheaper than $40

You're right, and they're my favorite color at Amazon. How did I miss this? I guess I wanted them to be even cheaper the other day. I'm going to let them sit in my cart and hope they go down a little...
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    I bought an old set from a fire station on Craigslist. For $60 I got a bar, ez curl bar, 4 adjustable barbells, clips, and 120lbs of plates.
    I got my hubby to build me a squat rack out of 2X4's for a few bucks. And someone gifted me a bench, but that could be made easily also.
  • Or buy a select a weight system, cost is up there for new but they take up almost no space.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Buy used weights from gumtree, ebay.
  • Vune
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I have specific limitations and goals, but some of these will be great for others with bigger budgets and and spaces.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Used ones are a lot cheaper, I've been lucky and found decent stuff from garage sales and online resellers.
  • Cat_A_89
    Cat_A_89 Posts: 93 Member
    I tend to see cheap workout gear on facebook marketplace
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited November 2019
    I bought new rubber hex dumbbells with comfort grips for less than $1 a pound by purchasing them from Walmart.com and saving even more by picking them up at the store.

Walmart will run sales at different times of the year. Trick is to monitor the site for when they go on sale. Brand doesn’t matter really. Also, I paid for my 5-60 lbs set by flipping equipment.
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    Vune wrote: »
    I've checked the usual "discount" stores, craigslist, and Facebook marketplace. Any secret places to find reasonably prices 15 lb dumbbells, or am I stuck paying at least $40 for a set?

Also, could I "season" rusty old dumbbells like I could a cast iron pan?

I use some light, velco wrap gloves when I lift. A bit of rust wouldn't bother me.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I've gotten a lot of my equipment from estate/garage/moving sales from people relocating or downsizing.

Barely used items and they were practically giving them away.

I also monitor store sales and try to get things out of season.
  • Vune
    Update: So I was worried that I wasn't actually strong enough for 15lb dumbbells, and the 12lb dumbbells were priced more appropriately. It turns out I'm wimpier than I thought, and these are going to be useful for a while. I can use one, then the pair, while I save up or keep my eyes peeled for an adjustable set.

Ebay was laughable. The shipping costs alone were twice what I paid for just the pair of dumbbells with free shipping from Amazon. I paid a little over $1/lb for the convenience.
  • deetucker70
    deetucker70 Posts: 43 Member
    edited November 2019
    In January at Sporting goods stores! Got two barbells and 600 lbs of weights as well as 15, 25, 35 and 45 lbs dumbbell sets for 40% off😊
  • zoom789
    zoom789 Posts: 7 Member
    Check out used sporting good stores. EBay, Amazon, etc. Just watch out for shipping charges.

The advantage and problem with buying weights is that they never go bad, so there is no reason to discount them, other than to move them out for a higher profit margin item
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    You want expensive dumbbells, come to Australia. I just spent $180 on a set of 10kg dumbbells :#