The many recipes for Mayonnaise...

Options
Safari_Gal_
Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
Mayonnaise lovers— any great recipes?

I love looking at the history of recipes. 🌍

Mayonnaise for instance has a contentious start. Some say it has its roots in Mahon, Spain -“mahonaise” some say it’s from Bayonne, France - Bayonnaise? Or that it’s French roots come from “moyeu” , meaning egg yolk.

I dunno! But I have an old French cookbook that talks about Chef Marie- Antoine Carême’s version of mayo around 1800 - he says Mayo comes from manier- French to stir. I typically use this one as my point of reference.

🤷🏼‍♀️ My quest for all things mayo continues.
I’ve found I like this recipe the best—- but I was wondering if any MFP’ers have recipes they enjoy?

I use raw eggs and only make a small portion at a time. Do you guys use raw eggs? What type of vinegar or oil? I saw champagne vinegar at the store and really thinking about trying it to see what that would taste like!

Thanks! 👩🏼‍🍳

My current mayo concoction -
Egg yolk
White wine vinegar
Sunflower oil
A smidge of Dijon

pium086b42bo.jpeg

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Variation without oil: boiled egg, use yolk, reserve white for other use. Mustard - any strength you like. Smooth cottage cheese / double thick yoghurt, touch of salt, pepper, little lemon juice, chopped garlic & capers - mix well until smooth. Use different fresh herbs to your liking: chives / dill / parsley / tarragon (my favourite) garlic chives / lemon grass / thyme etc. For a variation: instead of herbs - a little curry powder / toasted sesame seeds / pickled cucumber & onions / spring onions / or spice it up with some Tabasco / chilies - endless variations of the theme. Cuts down calories by about 70 % compared to proper mayonnaise. Enjoy!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    I like spanish alioli with the addition of mashed raw garlic. I like the bulk to be a neutral oil such as sunflower with just a little splash of virgin olive oil for extra flavour. I tend to salt my mayos with a heavy hand so that I only use a little bit.

Incidentally I read somewhere that Spain is the only country with a traditional tool for making mayo. It is a small metal vessel with a long narrow spout for pouring oil in a very thin stream. I don't remember what it was called.

If you are a garlic fan, you might like toum, a similar Lebanese sauce which is only mashed garlic and oil, no egg yolk.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/01/toum.html

If I need to rely on a store bought mayo my favourite is Japanese brand Kewpie which doesn't taste of sugar, unlike most commercial mayos.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I make mayo very very rarely due to the fact the calories are shocking for me!

But when I do I favour raw egg yolk, tarragon vinegar, Dijon and either olive oil or grape seed oil. Sometimes with roasted garlic too!
  • Vana9410
    Vana9410 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Substitute mayo for the oil in your cake batter. It makes it super moist!!