So excited - I finally found my (running) stride!

Options
I started back running last year after a health scare - it was July maybe when I got my butt in gear? I found a local 5k to register for as an end goal in October, and started a C25K program. Unfortunately i quickly found myself in awful pain from shin splints (I struggled with them all through high school and college as a soccer player). I realized I was hitting hard with my heels first and that’s when the jarring pain would happen so I started researching. I also knew I needed new shoes. This directed me to the local running store, Two Rivers Treads, and Dr. Mark Cucuzzella... (I soon found out, the ones who do the 5k I had registered for. It all came together in a nice, neat package!)

I wasn’t sure exactly what I needed to do different, but knew something had to change so I started my research there. I bought some compression sleeves (SO helpful!) and transition running shoes (not barefoot/minimalist). I watched videos, I listened to podcasts, I read articles, and eventually his book when it came out. In my brain I knew what I wanted my body to do, I could imagine how it looked and how it felt, but I couldn’t transfer that to my legs! It took a good 3 months for me to naturally land further up on my foot without major thought or effort. Did the 5k, then lost ground the next week for an unexpected hysterectomy.

Started back early in 2019, and over the course of this last year I have been tweaking and fine tuning. I would find that sweet spot every now and then, but couldn’t hold it, I think I was thinking too hard. 99% of the time my stamina and endurance was controlled by my ankles/legs. They were tired and sore. Oh how my ankles would ache! There was a time or two when I fet like a clown flopping my way through because the muscles just weren’t cooperating!

But then...

Last night, I found it!

I went for a quick run before dark and there are times I felt like I was sprinting! It was wonderful!! Finally my endurance was controlled by my lungs, not my lower body! Even doing walk/run intervals, and starting out a bit slow for the first mile, I finished with 11.5 minutes/mile. For just an evening jog, I was shocked! Normally I am around 13/14 minutes/mile! The best part was, I felt like I could go forever, I only called it quits because daylight was waning, and this time of year that’s a safety hazard with all the nuts hidden under the leaves :D . In all I did 2.5 miles, and aside from the huffing and puffing, they felt easy. My legs felt absolutely fine when I came in and walked up the stairs!

I am beyond excited! And I hope I can continue with it for the long haul! I have dreams of someday doing longer distance races, but never thought it could happen physically. Now I have hope!

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Feels great doesn't it? This is why we get hooked. :smiley:

Has anyone ever worked with you on your stride? It sounds to me like you are focusing on how your foot lands. That is very hard to do (and usually counter productive). Instead focus on WHERE you foot lands (under your body or just a little in front). Everything else will take care of itself.
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    1. You have experienced a runner's high. Congratulations - it is truly awesome. For me it usually comes around 45 minutes in.
    2. It is hugely important to have the right shoes. I used to struggle with shin splints until I found the right shoes. Took up running after a 9 year "break", ran a marathon 8 months after starting with NO shin splints! Brooks Adrenaline works for me.
    3. 90% of my runs are late evening/early night. I have the most energy, wear lots of reflective clothing and because I live in a small town traffic isn't too worrisome. It's on those dark runs that I feel like I'm flying (as you have pretty much described).
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    1. You have experienced a runner's high. Congratulations - it is truly awesome. For me it usually comes around 45 minutes in.
    2. It is hugely important to have the right shoes. I used to struggle with shin splints until I found the right shoes. Took up running after a 9 year "break", ran a marathon 8 months after starting with NO shin splints! Brooks Adrenaline works for me.
    3. 90% of my runs are late evening/early night. I have the most energy, wear lots of reflective clothing and because I live in a small town traffic isn't too worrisome. It's on those dark runs that I feel like I'm flying (as you have pretty much described).

Yes, yes, and yes!

I am wearing Newton Kismets for now, but am wanting to try something else without the lugs now that my body is figuring out what it’s doing!

I wear neon clothes no matter the time of day. We live in a super quiet neighborhood, very little traffic, but it only takes one distracted driver on the home stretch to their house for there to be a split second accident. Last night was my first “eek!” moment actually, and I think my neon shirt and hat saved me from a closer call. Saw a car coming to the T that I was getting ready to turn down. I hung back from the intersection, off the road, waiting to see what they were going to do. They came my direction and for some unknown reason swung the turn really wide - they were heading right towards me! I saw the moment they finally saw me because the car jerked from both them hitting their breaks and a sharp jerk back onto the road! It wasn’t necessarily a close call by any means, but it was a good lesson and reminder to be aware and stay safe no matter the location! It’s so easy to take a sleepy neighborhood for granted. (I also run with mace, because you never know... both 2 and 4 legged creatures).

I do a lot of dark runs as well, especially this time of year! It’s dark before my husband gets home, so it’s sometimes necessary. My kiddos are getting older so I feel more comfortable leaving them at the house for short spells, but if there has been a lot of bickering or high energy I won’t. I bought a chest light on Amazon and it is really nice! My husband bought me reflective wrist/ankle straps, and the dog’s leash and collar reflect as well. It’s funny because my normal day to day wardrobe is pretty dark and drab, but my running attire is all shades of the neon rainbow!

• moonangel12
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Feels great doesn't it? This is why we get hooked. :smiley:

Has anyone ever worked with you on your stride? It sounds to me like you are focusing on how your foot lands. That is very hard to do (and usually counter productive). Instead focus on WHERE you foot lands (under your body or just a little in front). Everything else will take care of itself.

I went to a free clinic at the running store and Dr. Mark watched me run on the specialized treadmill (curved base) he said my form and mechanics look good (and it felt good!) but transferring it to the road is another story. I did start focusing more on foot placement, occasionally looking down and watching to see if my feet were coming too far forward. He also wrote in his book to use a scooter for both fitness and form - I was trying to replicate that motion and last night I think I finally got it! I looked at my finishing photos from my last 5k and even though I know I was “running” through the finish line, my feet were barely off the ground... it looked more like a power walk. I was making the effort to extend my hips more, that helped as well.

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Be careful. I don't know anything about Dr. Mark but there are a lot of 'gurus' out there that are only looking to make a buck. The advice they give is often nonsense and sometime dangerous. Your comment about 'transition' shoes would certainly get my BS alarm raised. My question to folks that claim they have all the answers is "why wasn't Eliud Kipchoge (or any of the top runners in the world) following your advice when he set the world record in Berlin this year (or when he became the first ever human to run a sub 2 hour marathon)".
  • moonangel12
    edited November 2019
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Be careful. I don't know anything about Dr. Mark but there are a lot of 'gurus' out there that are only looking to make a buck. The advice they give is often nonsense and sometime dangerous. Your comment about 'transition' shoes would certainly get my BS alarm raised. My question to folks that claim they have all the answers is "why wasn't Eliud Kipchoge (or any of the top runners in the world) following your advice when he set the world record in Berlin this year (or when he became the first ever human to run a sub 2 hour marathon)".

I used that word because that is what I called them, not how they marketed them. The “transition” aspect being lower drop than what I was wearing, more cushion up front, less in the back to get me off my heels - somewhat of a type of behavior modification I guess. It was far more jarring to heel strike than in a more cushioned shoe like I had been wearing.

His isn’t gimmicky, it’s common sense methods he has studied for years and in his 50’s can still run a sub 3hr marathon (and has for over 30 years). His goal is to get people out there, injury free, and is spearheading a revival in WV for health and fitness (has been for over a decade). He started a neat program at the local Farmer’s Market for people to get $2 to spend on fresh local goods for every $1 in food stamps. And will jokingly admit that as a medical doctor (he works at the hospital) he had/has a lot to learn that they don’t teach in medical school (especially in regards to health and diet).
  • moonangel12
    Options
    That being said, whatever you may call it, through the one on one evaluation at the store when I bought my shoes (under $100), his books and videos (videos for free on YouTube), and other similar avenues, I am running without pain and to me that is 100% worth the effort it took to fine tune my stride over the past year.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I've never enjoyed running, but after I lost a bunch of weight, I enjoyed being able to run. Glad you're starting to love it. I love the bike, but either one of them can be a joyful way to blow off stress and keep yourself fit and happy. I wish everyone had a healthy way to do that.
  • moonangel12
    Options
    I've never enjoyed running, but after I lost a bunch of weight, I enjoyed being able to run. Glad you're starting to love it. I love the bike, but either one of them can be a joyful way to blow off stress and keep yourself fit and happy. I wish everyone had a healthy way to do that.

That’s kind of me - I am learning to enjoy it more, but I am embracing the fact that my body can do it after many years of chronic health issues making me feel like I would never function as a normal human again!

Biking is my first love - I grew up on two wheels - but with a <1 mile loop neighborhood it’s running that gets me out the door on a regular and consistent basis, far more convenient for this stage in life (homeschool mom to 4, with a very supportive but busy husband).

Outdoors I have found both have their perks and benefits - I can cover more ground and see more miles on a bike, but it’s easy to miss things as you’re speeding past...

This mental conversation I have with myself regarding running and biking (and growing up in AZ, swimming was a big part of my childhood) is why I have the new desire to try a Sprint Triathalon this upcoming year.