Anyone 50s and older with lots of kids, little time/energy, struggling to lose weight??

Hi all! Yes, I actually do have 16 kids (8 bio/8 adopted/9 have special needs) but only 9 still live at home. Needless to say, there is little time or energy for much of anything else. I’m 52 and struggling with my weight. I am desperate to lose 25ish lbs in the hopes it will help my hip pain from having newly discovered hip dysplasia, and injuries from a car wreck two years ago. The Drs all recommend a double hip replacement. I’m doing all I can to push that to a later date because it’s just my husband and myself caring for our kids and I can’t imagine him doing it alone while I recover.

Replies

• momto16kids
    momto16kids Posts: 8 Member
    Haha, looks like I’m alone here too! Kidding!! I welcome comments from anyone in a similar circumstance.
  • Pool_Boy
    Pool_Boy Posts: 405 Member
    Can't top the 16 kids, but I do understand needing to lose weight and joint pain.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Losing weight will help with the pain but if surgery is needed not much you can do to prevent it...15 kids...you are a saint...

Start with small changes and log your food and weigh and measure it...try to fix meals the majority of you can eat and hide your special treats!

Good luck
  • dougpro
    dougpro Posts: 9 Member
    Hey everyone, I’m going to be 54 at the end of the month. I’ve been logging on mfp now for 7 weeks. I’ve lost 18 lbs so far. Started at 237. I used to be very active, but lower back pains and pulled calf muscles stopped me from playing tennis 3 times a week. I’m walking 3 or 4 time a week now, trying to get back in shape. I used to jog 4-5 miles like 5 times a week. I’m going low carbs and cutting calorie intake to 1400 day or less.
    Good luck, Doug
  • saskdad2021
    saskdad2021 Posts: 4 Member
    You will do this. Just having kids makes a person have to be organized. I have 3 girls and a granddaughter as well. My wife motivates me alot and if I can help you too and keep both of us accountable that would be great. All the best! Add me as a friend if you like!😁
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    dougpro wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I’m going to be 54 at the end of the month. I’ve been logging on mfp now for 7 weeks. I’ve lost 18 lbs so far. Started at 237. I used to be very active, but lower back pains and pulled calf muscles stopped me from playing tennis 3 times a week. I’m walking 3 or 4 time a week now, trying to get back in shape. I used to jog 4-5 miles like 5 times a week. I’m going low carbs and cutting calorie intake to 1400 day or less.
    Good luck, Doug

I don't think you need to go that low. I started at about 245 - also at 54 (two years ago). I lost 50 pounds eating around 2200 kcal per day. I may have a walked a little bit more, but if you really are only eating 1400 calories, you'll soon find that unsustainable. (I have a hunch, however, that you are likely eating more than that).

Anyway, kudos on the one thing important - getting started.