Split or full body?

Milax19
Milax19 Posts: 15 Member
edited November 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
My goal is to lose 20 pounds. I want to be “toned”. Mfp gave me a daily caloric defecit of 1430cals to lose weight. Atm I’m doing 3 full body weight training sessions per week. On top of that I go kickboxing twice a week. When I do full body weight training I find it it takes me more than 1hr and 30 min to complete the sessions.

I’m thinking to do a split workouts. Maybe 4 times per week.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    It won't impact weight loss one way or the other. That comes down to diet and calories deficit. The rest is preference. I prefer an upper/ lower split because I find recovery from full body sessions to be a little harder. But I'm 68.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    I tend to pick whichever works with my schedule easiest to ensure that I remain compliant - mostly because I'm not a professional body builder or a model, so I have other things that have to come first.

If I don't *continue* to work out over the course of my life, I will not remain toned. It is most important to me that I do things in such a way that I can continue to keep up with them indefinitely, so that my hard earned results also stick around.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    edited November 2019
    I used to do split 20 years ago in my 30s but I've been doing full body this go around alternating days with cardio. 3 & 3...max I spend is 30-45 min. that's enough for me..
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Milax19 wrote: »
    When I do full body weight training I find it it takes me more than 1hr and 30 min to complete the sessions.

You're probably doing the wrong exercises or too many sets. For your goals, you don't need more than 3 sets per muscle group 3 times per week. For efficiency, do only compound exercises (google that term if it's new to you). Shouldn't take you more than 45 minutes. :+1:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    When I do full body weight training I find it it takes me more than 1hr and 30 min to complete the sessions.

Think you need to review your choice of exercises as that's an awful long time.
    Are you predominately doing compound or isolation exercises?
    And why?
    Where did you get your routine from?

BTW - your goal is 1430 + exercise calories and the rate of weight loss you selected in your goal set up has a huge bearing on the goal you end up with.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I prefer splits, been working out for about 20 yrs. When I did full body, mostly as a beginner, I did enjoy it but did find it took longer than I preferred. My splits are basically chest, back, shoulder, legs and abs. I usually work two of the five splits listed per workout.
  • 84creative
    84creative Posts: 128 Member
    edited November 2019
    I do...

Monday: chest, triceps, side delts
    Tuesday: back, biceps
    Wednesday: legs
    Thursday: chest, triceps, side delts
    Friday: back, biceps, rear delts

4 sets per muscle group on these days. My workouts usually last around 25-30 minutes.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    My goal is to lose 20 pounds. I want to be “toned”. Mfp gave me a daily caloric defecit of 1430cals to lose weight. Atm I’m doing 3 full body weight training sessions per week. On top of that I go kickboxing twice a week. When I do full body weight training I find it it takes me more than 1hr and 30 min to complete the sessions.

I’m thinking to do a split workouts. Maybe 4 times per week.

Which ever you will adhere to is best choice.

Most people I train with a year or less ecperience can do three full body sessions averaging an hour each session. Perhaps your volume/template is inappropriate for you goals.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I used to do full body, around 1hr 3xweek.

I now split into 3 workouts a week.
    Mon : shoulders/arms
    Tue : chest/back
    Thur : legs.

I always start with the big compound lifts and then move on to other isolation exercises designed to help me reach particular goals (I'm off season for running now, so doing a lot of leg work, plus doing work designed to lead to.finally managing pull ups)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I do full body and it takes me about 30-35 min. When I have more time, I might take longer rests, or do more exercises and go for about an hour. How many exercises are you doing in that time?
  • I do a 5 day split: lower, upper, legs, push, pull. It’s a better way for me to get the volume I need as an intermediate. Plus each workout take less than an hour.