Calorie advice please

Hi,

I am looking for some advice regarding daily calorie allowance to enable me to loose weight.

I am 5ft5 and currently 172 lbs. I work out 3 x a week for around 25/30 minutes. I’m a mum of a 3 year old and 6 month old twins (excercise in itself)

Would 1700 calories a day be enough or too much?

Thanks

Replies

• Heatherloulou87
    Heatherloulou87 Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks very much for your advice!

I have set my goals to loose 1 pound per week and active and it says 1890 calories! That seems so much! Hopefully it works 🤞🏻

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Thanks very much for your advice!

I have set my goals to loose 1 pound per week and active and it says 1890 calories! That seems so much! Hopefully it works 🤞🏻

Do you know what your step count is outside of activity? Because yes, that does seem high.

On MFP, your exercise activity doesn't count in your goal calorie calculations. If your non-exercise steps are less than 8000-10Kish, maybe take down to lightly active, and start from there, and readjust in 6 weeks or so...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Depending on your activity you could lose in a range of 1400 - 2000 calories per day. 1400 would be lightly active and 2000 would be extremely active. So somewhere in the middle would do you just right...
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Hey, I'm open to the disagreement! I've been through the parenting years and out the other side. I found the challenge of parenting more mental than physical. In fact, I got very heavy when I had young children. It was hard to stay active. It was also hard to get enough sleep. The one thing that wasn't hard was finding the brownies!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    My sister has two sets of twins. Any twin is an exponential effort modifier. It is a very different experience from looking after multiple children of reasonably diverse age.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Thanks so much for all your helpful information!

I’m going to try about 6 weeks on 1700 calories and see how it goes. If not much is happening I’ll bring my calories down a little bit?

Thanks 😊

This seems like a solid plan. You'll definitely lose weight on 1700 calories, and down the road you can decide if you wanna lose weight a little faster by reducing the number, or wanna have a little more food by increasing the number. It's good to just jump in and get started with a reasonable, non-punitive number that you feel you can live with and 1700 sounds like it will fill that roll pretty well for you.
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    I wish I could lose on 1700. I feel like these days if I go over 1200 I stop losing! 😂 (I'm short)