Sneaky strategies

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Oh and this sounds weird but it’s actually really good. Tablespoon of peach flavored balsamic vinegar with sparkling water poured on top tastes remarkably like peach Fanta. And it’s less than ten calories. Fake it til ya make it!

I drink that all the time. I also "sparkle" cold earl grey tea, which is surprisingly cola-esque, but without the sugar.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Verrrry sneaky, sis! If it works for you, it's a good plan. Simple as that!

A real speedbump for me is alcohol. A couple glasses of wine out with friends, and I'm ordering allllll the carbs. But I don't want to be a teetotaler. So now, I plan to order a drink that I actually don't really enjoy, so I don't finish it, like a Moscow Mule or a G&T. Less tipsy = more in control of my carb cravings, but still having a fun night out.

Mind you: I haven't STARTED this plan yet. It occurred to me last weekend when I woke up feeling like *kitten* after a tipsy night out that devolved into all the carbs leaping right into my mouth magically.

I've kind of lost interest in drinking lately, but formerly if I wanted to drink slower, gin & tonic was what I ordered.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited November 2019
    Challenging myself to limit my added sugar to the WHO recommendations of 5% of daily calories has really helped with my snacking. Sometimes I'm just snacking less and sometimes it's a lower calorie snack (fruit.)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10769530/30-day-logging-limiting-added-sugar-challenge/p1
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Tea -- I have to have something to sip on at night and plain water just doesn't do it. I used to drink a glass of wine a night, but now most nights I drink this delicious cinnamon and blackberry tea from Bigelow and save the wine for the weekends.

Not surprisingly, the more hydrated I am the better choices I make, too. I think I must like doing things with my mouth, whether that's eating or drinking something, during the times of day when I'm least active. I have much more energy and my weigh ins are better overall.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    sarko15 wrote: »
    Tea -- I have to have something to sip on at night and plain water just doesn't do it. I used to drink a glass of wine a night, but now most nights I drink this delicious cinnamon and blackberry tea from Bigelow and save the wine for the weekends.

Not surprisingly, the more hydrated I am the better choices I make, too. I think I must like doing things with my mouth, whether that's eating or drinking something, during the times of day when I'm least active. I have much more energy and my weigh ins are better overall.

Actually... I find that having a biro, pen lid or cable tie that's particularly comfortable to chew on does reduce the amount I want to snack...
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Nothing sneaky here but I do have bread with peanut butter every day. Now instead of having a sandwich with 2 slices of styrofoam tasting lite wheat bread I'll indulge and have 1 slice of my preferred Italian bread with 1 T. of p.b. It better fits my taste buds so I'm more fulfilled. :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2019
    Hmm... I'm not very sneaky. I plan out what snacks I'm going to eat for the week that fit into my calories well, and I only buy those. Last night I was a little hungry before bed and was searching through the fridge and pantry but we didn't have anything that looked good so I didn't eat. I guess it worked.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Nothing sneaky here but I do have bread with peanut butter every day. Now instead of having a sandwich with 2 slices of styrofoam tasting lite wheat bread I'll indulge and have 1 slice of my preferred Italian bread with 1 T. of p.b. It better fits my taste buds so I'm more fulfilled. :)

Love peanut butter! Everyday on a toasted half of an Arnold’s thin sandwich!