How important is water intake?

13»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Its not important for weight loss. We need water for hydration. Sometimes we think we are hungry but its just thirst.

This has literally never happened to me, nor to any other overweight person I have spoken to.

I guess it must be true for someone out there, but I don't think it's remotely as common as the advice seems to assume..

I don't really get this one either. When I am thirsty my mouth is dry. When I am hungry my stomach rumbles. Not to mention I tend to like salty food and snacks so I can't imagine being thirsty and trying to quench it with something salty.

I am not saying that it does not happen to some people but I don't recall it ever happening to me.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited November 2019
    Hydration is very important. I never force myself to drink however. I've been at this long enough that I know my body and I know when I need more or when I need to slow down with the water intake.

I also eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies which all contains high water content.

Between that, the weather, my workout/sweat level, what I eat (excess sodium makes me thirsty) and monitoring the color of my urine (TMI sorry) my daily intake varies.

I keep track of the amount of liquids I drink (almost always just water and unsweetened tea) in my journal everyday.
  • iheartmyyorkie
    iheartmyyorkie Posts: 163 Member
    Its not important for weight loss. We need water for hydration. Sometimes we think we are hungry but its just thirst.
    Does this mean I'm 100 pounds overweight because I was actually thirsty? :o
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    I'm terrible at keeping up with my water intake. Any words of wisdom? How important is water intake to weight loss?

Water is a critical component not just to weight loss but our entire wellbeing and overall health. Without staying properly hydrated, you could become very ill, and even end up in the hospital. That happened to a friend of mine, and let me tell you- it's not pretty or pleasant! So yes, water is really important. Our bodies need it to survive. Water helps flush out toxins in your body, aids in digestion and elimination, and helps you feel fuller longer. You can track your water intake through MyFitnessPal. Just look at how many ounces of water are in your water bottle, and log it every time you finish the bottle. The general recommended amount is 64 ounces per day (or eight 8-ounce cups of water).

If you are finding it difficult to down a bottle of plain water, you can try adding fresh produce to it. Some people add berries, leafy greens (I've seen infusions using spinach, oregano, or mint), apples, oranges, kiwi, the list goes on. I personally like to add fresh lemon slices to mine just to change it up a bit. There's a lot of different combinations out there, just Google "water infusion recipes".

Hope this helps. And please stay hydrated!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2019
    NovusDies wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »

This has literally never happened to me, nor to any other overweight person I have spoken to.

I guess it must be true for someone out there, but I don't think it's remotely as common as the advice seems to assume..

I don't really get this one either. When I am thirsty my mouth is dry. When I am hungry my stomach rumbles. Not to mention I tend to like salty food and snacks so I can't imagine being thirsty and trying to quench it with something salty.

I am not saying that it does not happen to some people but I don't recall it ever happening to me.

I always want water or some other beverage with it if I am eating anything other than fruit or maybe a pickle, so it doesn't make sense to me either.
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member

I drink 2 12 oz cups of coffee in the morning before any pure water intake. Might have to pack a bottle with water in my lunch bag, I hardly find the time to fill my desk cup.

I drink a couple of cups of coffee, too. I make myself drink a bottle of water in between. I think of it as earning my second cup of coffee. Then, I drink another bottle before I can have soda with my lunch.

I find when I drink half my weight in ounces of water, I lose a little quicker. It's probably from all of the running back and forth to the restroom that does it. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'm terrible at keeping up with my water intake. Any words of wisdom? How important is water intake to weight loss?

For weight loss? Not really important. Water is important for staying hydrated and being hydrated is important to your health. Not everything is about weight loss.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I definitely used to believe it helped weight loss. However, in the last few years my water intake hasn't changed at all and it didn't help or prevent me from gaining 40 lbs, or help or prevent me from losing 30 so far. I drink a ton of water because I feel better doing that, but I don't think it helps weight loss.
  • PTA4LYF
    PTA4LYF Posts: 87 Member
    PTA4LYF wrote: »

It's not terribly important as most of your food is water (even meat, like human tissue, is 70% or so water before cooking). Follow your thirst. We live in a culture of unnecessary hyper-hydration. Having said that, dehydration can affect athletic performance but is unlikely to be a problem unless you're extremely dehydrated. Too much water can (in extremely rare cases of hyponatremia) kill you.

i have to take issue with this because water is extemely important. research shows from dr Agatston that for your major organs to function properly and maintain normal function of your body that an individual should drink half their body weight in ounces when drinking water. so if you weigh 150 you should drink 75 ounces a day. as for helping with weight loss it helps decrease water retention so the more we drink the more we expel and are able to dispose of the toxins in our body and most hunger pains are not caused from hunger but from dehydration.

So if I weighed myself in stone, I would only need about 11 oz of water a day. Thanks for the advice. Good to know.

ETA -- whoops. Forgot to halve it. Five and a half oz of water a day. Good thing I caught that. I might have hurt myself with that extra five and a half ounces.

no i used the measurements for the US you will need to convert stones to pounds which 1 pound in US is 16 ounces. so lets assume 1 stone is 14 US pounds if you weigh 10 stones that would be 140 pounds thus you would drink 70 ounces of water a day