Starting again

Hi im Lena and I'm having a hard time having motivation to exercise or even get up at all... Any body got any tips maybe that would help me

Replies

• Start slow. Start with 5 minutes. Take a walk around the block. You don't have to jump into going to the gym every day for an hour (and you don't ever have to do that actually!). If you have a fitbit or download a step counting app on your phone, see how many steps a day you take. Then try for 500 more. Set small goals, they really add up over time.
    Thanks you so much
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Start slow. Start with 5 minutes. Take a walk around the block. You don't have to jump into going to the gym every day for an hour (and you don't ever have to do that actually!). If you have a fitbit or download a step counting app on your phone, see how many steps a day you take. Then try for 500 more. Set small goals, they really add up over time.

^This is great advice. Starting too hard, too fast, can also lead to injury.

I started with a 60 minute workout goal each week and then added on as I got stronger. 2x30, 3x20, 4x15, or 6x10. I started with 10 Minute Solutions and Leslie Sansone walking DVDs, but Youtube videos are free. Short videos are great for figuring out what you like while minimizing time spent on what you hate. Keep yourself accountable by marking it on a calendar. Like ShortGirl said, it really does add up over time.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Don't "exercise".

I mean this in two ways
    1. Exercise, while good for your overall health and fitness isn't a huge factor in weight loss. Particularly when starting out many people find it helpful to put off the exercise portion while they get their eating and calorie intake under control. Sometimes it's better to tackle one thing at a time.
    2. Rather than force yourself to 'workout' instead find a way to be active that you enjoy. Find a hobby that gets you up and moving so that working out and getting exercise become incidental and a side benefit to having fun. You don't need to try and stay "motivated" if you're actually looking forward to it.
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Start somewhere, take 1 step, log breakfast, and then take the next step
  • denise5692
    denise5692 Posts: 4 Member
    I’m starting again too. I like Leslie Sandstone’s walking videos. She has many free to watch and walk with on YouTube. Start with the one mile and work your way up. Do what you can, that’s what I do 🙂
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    There are a couple of things that I did when I first started. I entered the time into my calendar for exercise. I make appointments for everything else, why not this too? Secondly, I started slow. I also know that I am a social being, so working out by myself isn't sustainable. I found workout classes to take. So, I started with one class the first week, two the second, etc. I work out 5 days a week, but take off the weekends. I'm old an my body needs the break.

I also don't allow myself to question whether or not I go to the gym. I think of it just like I do my job. It's something I have to do, no questions asked. For me, I found early morning classes to work best. It is done and out of the way.

Find what works for you. If you don't like something, try something else.

Best,
    E