Day one of cutting back on sugar

Today was my first successful day of not going over or anywhere near my sugar limit! Not gonna lie I'm really craving a soda right now. 😭

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    Good job. 👍

Can you fit sugar into your calories?
  • JessWasHere1998
    JessWasHere1998 Posts: 25 Member
    Only a little bit
  • jc4meandu
    jc4meandu Posts: 273 Member
    oh and congratulations on your first day of many successful days of beating sugar!
  • Polaris180
    Polaris180 Posts: 19 Member
    Keep it up! Soda is poison and will steal your life.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Polaris180 wrote: »
    Keep it up! Soda is poison and will steal your life.

Ok, while I share the sentiment that sugar soda is not the "best" option for weight loss or maintenance, liquid calories are not as satiating as eating calories, the body also does not compensate for them as well. Its not "poison". A regular 20oz soda has 69grams of carbs vs 3 medium apples for the same. Coke is not out to kill you. If they did that, who would buy their products?
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    You can do it! If you're like me you will crave for a week or two and then it will get easier. I made sure I always had healthy snacks at hand within my calorie count and I was very clear with myself working out what snacks are ok to buy and eat.

I had a huge sugar addiction and would drink 1.5 ltrs of Coke a day plus huge amounts of chocolate and candy every day. I went cold turkey on coke and chocolate on 4th of August this year and have kept my sugar within the MFP guidelines every day since. I've lost a huge amount of weight (34lbs/15kg). I haven't done anything special. Just trying to eat healthy with none of the old triggers. I've had no chocolate since August and only a coke once at work in the three months since.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    edited November 2019
    Great job! I’ve also been sugar free since September 1st! I’ve had a treat week this week and I’ve felt horrible with all this sugar. It’s not good for my energy levels. I’m doing it with my sister and we feel so much better. Back on track today 💪🏼
  • Hybrice
    Hybrice Posts: 117 Member
    I started a Keto diet last week, the first 3 days of <5g/day of sugar were excruciating lol my body has stopped shouting about it now though xD
  • gemiller87
    gemiller87 Posts: 137 Member
    Congrats! The general consensus on this forum often tends to be "eat all the sugar you want as long as you keep your calories in check" but I disagree personally. I fasted out sugar to barely a few grams a day for a few weeks. I've since re-introduced some sugar (and try to avoid artificially added sugar completely still as much as possible, I save my sugar for social drinking hours lol). I monitored by blood glucose and found without sugar it to be much more stable, and after the initial "cravings" and adjustment period I didn't really crave it near as much and some things even started tasting sweeter than I remembered. I kinda remember 2-3 weeks being the "craving" period I had to overcome, with the mid 1st week through mid 2nd week being the hardest.

The reality is yes, you can have sugar and lose weight if you keep your calories where they need to be, but it's relatively worthless calorie intake compared to something with nutrients which fuel a lot more of your function than what sugar offers. I'm not a nutritionist by no means, but I did a notable amount of research in this prior to really getting on my weight loss "path". I really do attribute the greater lack of sugar to be a big part of what got me to 85lbs lost since March and on track for 100 by the end of the year.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Moderation in all things. Including sugar!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Well done! I assume you know or think you've been having too much added sugar?
  • krystlpierce
    krystlpierce Posts: 69 Member
    You can do it! I haven't had any added sugar in 3 weeks due to sensitivity and while it was initially difficult, it has gotten better. I know it's hard, but you'll feel better without it I promise!
  • BreezyWerner
    BreezyWerner Posts: 24 Member
    I can’t even do sugar in moderation. If I have just a little bit, I feel like it wakes up a monster who just wants more and more. I honestly think it wakes up an addict in my brain. So, I have to stay off it. The withdrawals were horrible, but very much worth it. I know people can have sugar in moderation, but I am not one of them.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!