Brooks Beast Running Shoes

Does anyone have experience with these? I've read that this is a shoe that is appropriate for the 200+ lb guy. I'm using Mizumo Wave Rider for overpronation. Having issues with ankle pain while running. Thanks for any feedback u can provide.

Replies

• sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    edited November 2019
    I have Brooks Transcend and they've been great for me. I wear them with custom inserts as well, and I am over 200 lbs. I have issues with over pronation as well, and I never found shoes that fixed it but the inserts plus a quality pair of shoes like Brooks has really helped.

I found them when I went into a running store, and the associate helped me. I went to Fleet Feet, and they were very knowledgeable and able to recommend a lot of solutions and kept with me until we found something. Running stores also usually have great return/exchange policies as well.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Part of the problem may be that if you're an over pronator the Wave Rider may be the wrong shoe for you, it's neutral, you probably want the Wave Inspire for stability. I'm 200+ plus and have been running with the Wave Riders for several years problem free (switched from my previous Asics when they changed the drop from 12mm to 10).

Sorry, can't offer any info on Brooks.
  • reggiedrum
    reggiedrum Posts: 21 Member
    Thanks guys
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,518 Member
    Hi @reggiedrum - going on from your other thread it is not recommend to wear new shoes for a race. Break them in for a few shorter runs before hand.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Sorry I can’t help. I’m devoted to the Ghost model. Love my Brooks.
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    edited November 2019
    Sorry I can’t help. I’m devoted to the Ghost model. Love my Brooks.

Same, but it's a neutral shoe, so wouldn't be appropriate for the op anyways. Maybe Brooks Transcend would be a reasonable choice to try out. Probably should just go to a running store and get a gait analysis, though.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    reggiedrum wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience with these? I've read that this is a shoe that is appropriate for the 200+ lb guy. I'm using Mizumo Wave Rider for overpronation. Having issues with ankle pain while running. Thanks for any feedback u can provide.

I used to wear Brooks Beasts when I started running again at about 200lbs and overweight. They are very stabilizing, because of that they also feel pretty heavy, clunky, and stiff. If you need that much support they are great. After a year or two and a lot of lost weight they were just too much so I went to Brooks Adrenaline. Still a shoe aimed at stability but not as much as the Beast. I tried their Ghost model but that was too little support. Everyone is different, if you can get some help at a good running store as fuzzylop_ suggested that is best. Good luck and happy running!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    I use Brooks Beast, great shoe.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member

Your best bet is to go to a local running store and get properly fitted for shoes. What one person wears may not work for someone else.
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    What do you recommend for someone who want to start jogging, but has flat feet/weak ankles?Is there a non-specialty shoe like a New Balance that can do the trick?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

If you pronate, you need a shoe that supports that...you do not want a neutral shoe if you pronate.

I would recommend going to a running store that specializes in running shoes. They can bring you out several different shoes that will support pronation and you can see what feels best.

Personally, I love Brooks because that's what feels best for me. My wife hates Brooks and loves Hoka. What's most important is getting the proper shoe for your gait...after that, brand doesn't really matter...fit and how it feels personally will trump brand.
  • daniellethesheep
    daniellethesheep Posts: 117 Member
    A running store is a great place to start. The beast is a lot more supportive and a lot wider than the wave rider. Plenty of other stuff in between too!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    @JenniferM1234 I started running for the first time at 57 wearing New Balance shoes that had been fitted for walking. Within two weeks I had lost a toenail because the shoes were totally inappropriate.

It was totally worth going to a running specialty store to be video’d and fitted for the proper shoes for me.

They took video from behind of me running in the store and slowed it down to show how my feet pronated and what kind of stride I had and had me try on several models.

It made a complete world of difference in comfort and kept me from quitting in pain and frustration.

Yes, it cost a bit more, but not an astronomical amount for the service I got and was worth every nickel.