My biggest issue now is..

BREAD! It always comes back to bread for me.

I'm don't often buy chocolate and sweets, I'm more of a savoury person though obviously if they're readily available I will consume them.
Cutting sugars, crisps, constant snacking is all fine with me but I constantly crave soft bread/bread buns.

I've been told to replace them with stuff like rice cakes, special low carb style breads etc but even afterwards I still have that craving.

I was considering swapping my daily lunchtime sandwich with a cereal as they seem to somehow cure my craving for bread.

I'm just wondering, is there any point? My choices are mainly weetabix, porridge, shredded wheat. Is two servings of cereal a day too much? I can't find any articles that give me a clear answer, all I want is try and get rid of this bread addiction.

Sorry for the essay, but I appreciate any help and would love to hear your own experiences giving up bread.!

Replies

• hudsonhaley1214
    hudsonhaley1214 Posts: 1 Member
    Iced Coffees!
    Absolutely obssesed with coffee and have been since a younger child.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Iced Coffees!
    Absolutely obssesed with coffee and have been since a younger child.

How is that a problem? Unless you are adding tons of sugar and cream iced coffee has almost no calories.
  • armyvet25
    armyvet25 Posts: 48 Member
    edited November 2019
    You don't have to give it up entirely, most breads are somewhere between 70-120 calories per normal slice for size comparison, I have the same weakness, so I make my own so I know what goes into it, get a bread maker to make the task easier. I also make a lot of veggie breads, zucchini, carrot, butternut squash, pumpkin, various fruits, nuts added, solves the bread lust for me with a lot of added benefits, avoid sugars when making them, add small amounts of honey instead.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    I love bread. I eat bread. I lose weight. You don’t have to cut it out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

I'm don't often buy chocolate and sweets, I'm more of a savoury person though obviously if they're readily available I will consume them.
    Cutting sugars, crisps, constant snacking is all fine with me but I constantly crave soft bread/bread buns.

I've been told to replace them with stuff like rice cakes, special low carb style breads etc but even afterwards I still have that craving.

I was considering swapping my daily lunchtime sandwich with a cereal as they seem to somehow cure my craving for bread.

I'm just wondering, is there any point? My choices are mainly weetabix, porridge, shredded wheat. Is two servings of cereal a day too much? I can't find any articles that give me a clear answer, all I want is try and get rid of this bread addiction.

Sorry for the essay, but I appreciate any help and would love to hear your own experiences giving up bread.!

There's nothing wrong with bread. I'm having a big hung of sourdough with my chicken soup for lunch today...there's nothing wrong with that.

As to whether two servings of cereal is too much...just depends on whether or not it is prohibiting you from hitting your calorie targets and making you go over. Weight management is about calories...not bread or cereal.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with bread. I'm having a big hung of sourdough with my chicken soup for lunch today...there's nothing wrong with that.

As to whether two servings of cereal is too much...just depends on whether or not it is prohibiting you from hitting your calorie targets and making you go over. Weight management is about calories...not bread or cereal.

I don’t think anyone’s suggesting there’s anything wrong with bread! But, certainly for me, it’s very easy to derail my adherence to my calorie limit. If it’s something that is hard to resist, as it is for me (and I suspect the OP too, then it can be a problem! I could certainly eat well over half my daily calories in a hunk of bread, without that hunk even being that big. Obviously, whether that’s an issue or not depends on individual calorie levels...as a very short older woman I have to think about bread as something to limit, which was the point of the original question.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Mine is my posture and lack of mobility. I have lost a decent amount of weight (still a little more to go), but my desk job has taken a toll on me and I have rounded shoulders and anterior pelvic tilt. So not I have done research and implemented a mobility routine in with my workout routine to try and correct this until I go after my final goal: advanced calisthenics and isometric holds.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited November 2019
    Explain, please @AndyTempest . Are you trying to quit bread completely, or just keep it reasonable. And if keep it reasonable, how much do you consider reasonable?

Some of us seem to be interpreting your post differently than others.
  • psychod787

I don’t think anyone’s suggesting there’s anything wrong with bread! But, certainly for me, it’s very easy to derail my adherence to my calorie limit. If it’s something that is hard to resist, as it is for me (and I suspect the OP too, then it can be a problem! I could certainly eat well over half my daily calories in a hunk of bread, without that hunk even being that big. Obviously, whether that’s an issue or not depends on individual calorie levels...as a very short older woman I have to think about bread as something to limit, which was the point of the original question.

I've been around here for 7 years...a lot of people suggest that there's something wrong with bread because carbs = the devil and bread is bad...especially if it's the white kind.

All I read was that he craves bread...I get cravings too...then I eat what I'm craving and the craving is gone. I didn't read anywhere in the OP that he can't control himself and has some bread and then goes off the rails. He's also a male...so if a hunk of bread is half of his calories, his calorie targets are way too low. the minimum for a sedentary male is 1500 calories, and that's pretty aggressive...750 calories of bread is a lot of friggin' bread.

Agreed that there is nothing "wrong" with bread in general sir. The two problems I see with bread are... 1. Bread is surprisingly calorie dense. Once you chew it, the air pockets disappear. 2. What people are doing with the bread. MOST people, not all, are going to add mayo, cheese, peanut butter and jelly, butter... ect. Thus taking an already calorie dense food and making it more dense.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Machafin wrote: »
    Mine is my posture and lack of mobility. I have lost a decent amount of weight (still a little more to go), but my desk job has taken a toll on me and I have rounded shoulders and anterior pelvic tilt. So not I have done research and implemented a mobility routine in with my workout routine to try and correct this until I go after my final goal: advanced calisthenics and isometric holds.

Don’t want to derail OP’s thread, but could you share your mobility routine? I have these problems, too.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Yeah, condiments can get you pretty fast. My side salad can go from 25 calories to 200 just by putting on the dressing. :D
  • psychod787
    Yeah, condiments can get you pretty fast. My side salad can go from 25 calories to 200 just by putting on the dressing. :D

Yes ma'am my pink haired friend! I am sure @cwolfman13 is doing is using this bread as his carb source and in context of a chicken soup, it no different than adding say rice to it... jmho
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,125 Member
    I love bread. Fresh 100% whole grain bread. I like big artisan round loaves. I like real rye bread. Bread. Yum. But I don't bring it in the house anymore. It's super easy for me to eat a half loaf of a fresh 100% whole grain rye. At 90 calories per slice, that adds up fast. Usually has a lot of sodium too, but I'm not as concerned about that. I can easily devour a half of a round Kalamata loaf. Even a seeded baguette has a limited lifespan in my presence.

Yeah, I ~could~ buy a loaf and eat some then freeze the rest and pull it out as needed, but that's just no the same as fresh bread. So it's now a special treat for me. And I love it. Maybe I'll get some soon, but I get it that it's hard not to overdo it sometimes.

Today was a treat day for me. My favorite bagel shop closed 20 years ago. The original owner opened back up today! Best. Bagel. Ever. I went down after they opened and got a Tom Onion -- bagel with real cream cheese, fresh tomato, and red onion plus some green onion. I got mine on an everything bagel. Oh yeah... Of course I know these are not whole grain bagels; they are treats. Just the right amount of chewy. Just the perfect crust.

6z0cgx29psxw.jpg

Of course I couldn't leave without a plain poppy seed and a plain garlic bagel to eat later. So that's three bagels. Before the cream cheese, that's allegedly 730 calories. I could have eaten another one. Or two. So yeah, I can see how one might easily rack up half a day's calories with bread. I can do it, and I have. My calorie goal would be just under 1800 before activity, so it usually ends up around 2,200. Totally could wreck my day with bread.

Sorry @AndyTempest -- I don't have anything to offer that will help if bread is one of your trigger foods. You either have to find a way to moderate it, or leave it alone.

And for the record, I have no problem with carbs. They are wonderful. I eat them every day. I just have to be really careful about bread. I don't typically bring potato chips in the house anymore either.

But I will probably go back and get another bagel tomorrow..... And a bag of kettle chips :wink:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    At the moment I’m only eating a very small amount of bread and never as just a piece of bread. I use it to make bruschetta style meals where the focus is on the vegetable toppings and deep flavours. Makes a beautiful yet small piece of sourdough really satisfy me because I’ve treated it (and me!) to the very best ingredients.

Using it as a vehicle for other food does make it possible for me to really enjoy it without going overboard. I still struggle with soup though! What is soup without a huge chunk of bread to dunk!

I've found that the same works for me with pasta and rice. I pile on the protein and find that I am full with a much smaller quantity of rice or pasta (half what I used to eat), but still got to eat the thing that I love.

Yes, when I used to bake bread I would eat a truly ridiculous amount, with butter. But I can have sane amounts as part of a balanced meal that includes protein and vegetables.

@AndyTempest what % protein are you targeting and are you meeting that target?