Introducing Supplements into diet help

Ok so I’ve been following my TDEE estimation and maintaining a caloric deficit of 500 calories or more a day for 1 month. Also for one month I’ve been hitting the gym with cardio for 30 min (2 miles on elliptical) then doing weight training switching muscle groups everyday. Got really bad soreness first week. I think that was DOMS. But after I’ve been feeling good. UP UNIT, I decided to push myself super hard as tho I was working out with a gym partner (did this because I read an article that stated people working out alone don’t push themselves to the limit). So this week was it. Pushed myself as hard as I could lol I was dying people at the gym probably thought I was gonna drop dead. Needless to say I’m sore again. I was talking to a friend who is in the military and very fit . He mentioned maybe taking a recovery drink post workout and before bed. I’ve never used supplements so I’m here for suggestions and Information.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I agree with both @cwolfman13 and @psulemon. I would just add that examine.com is a terrific website if you want to determine if a supplement actually does what it advertises.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Post workout (if you are doing heavy lifting, HIIT, etc) and you want to maximize recovery and results is the one time when a proper supplement actually can and does offer more benefit than regular food. Ideally, you would look for a low-temp processed rapid assimilation protein combined with a high glycemic carbohydrate. Not all supplements or proteins are created equal, personally a fan of the 1st Phorm products which I've successfully used for quite some time.

Other than that, make sure you are warming up and cooling down, stretching, and eating a good diet to support your workouts and goals the rest of the day. There may be other supplements that can help your particular situation, but those would be pretty individualized to what and when you are doing. As an example, in my case, because I'm doing a fastest, and generally relatively intense training, I also use a BCAA and some creatine - helps keep my workouts from falling on their face, and I find my recovery is much better utilizing those along with my post-workout shake.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I would suggest not simply basing your decisions off an article you read or some guy you know in the military. It is good to push yourself when working out, but you should not be pushing yourself to failure, particularly as you are just starting working out. That is a recipe for injury.

You don't need a "recovery drink" unless it is convenient for you. They don't have any magical superpowers that eating a balanced meal with carbs and protein can't provide you with.