tea to help with chocolate/sweet cravings after dinner?

Any ideas out there for a type of tea that help with chocolate and/or sweet cravings after dinner? I've tried and enjoyed Tazo glazed lemon loaf tea but need to expand my horizons. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    We like Stash Licorice tea, also lots of different ones from Celestial Seasonings - the seasonal Gingerbread one is especially yummy.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I like adding sugar free syrup to my tea (salted caramel, chocolate truffle, chocolate chip cookie dough, etc)
  • pecabonitas
    pecabonitas Posts: 153 Member
    Just eat the chocolate! Everything in moderation is my motto. Eat why you like! Don’t overdo it and if you don’t have a calorie deficit, make room for it the next day. Or work out and burn some calories to make room for your favorite treat.

On a side note, and I would never recommend this but I’m being transparent.... I used to drink smooth move tea when I cheated. It’s gave me a stomachache but it got rid of everything on the inside lol
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    kroger has a store brand decaf chocolate mint tea that is really good. If you add a sugar free syrup in chocolate or vanilla there are no cal.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Tazo brand. Vanilla bean macaroon and glazed lemon loaf. Both taste like cake.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Chocolate is chocolate. Tea is tea. One is not like the other.

Speaking as one of our resident chocolate and tea snobs, I have not found any tea that tastes truly chocolately, though there was a now-discontinued Mighty Leaf dark chocolate black tea a few years ago that was very nice. I still mourn the loss of that tea. There are some "chocolate mint" and similar teas out there, and you can also brew cacao shells and/or nibs. None of those, in my opinion, taste anything like a piece of chocolate.

If you want chocolate, you can budget calories for chocolate. I usually recommend Ghirardelli squares. They are about 50-80 calories per square depending on which flavor you get, and individually wrapped if that helps you with portion control. The squares are relatively large for the calorie count. They are in my opinion one of the better quality chocolates that can be found in most grocery stores.

If it were me, I'd have a piece of chocolate with a nice cup of tea. Win win.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    There are chocolate teas, but most are disappointing. I find, they smell like chocolate, but don't taste like it. The one I did like isn't made anymore.....go figure.

Hot chocolate may be the way to go. Other low calorie chocolate options: sugar free fudgesicles or sugar free pudding.

I agree with Apullum. I like dark chocolate Ghiradelli squares. They are individually wrapped which I think helps.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I enjoy licorice tea. It gives you that dessert kind of satisfaction.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    I like chamomile tea. I used to add just a drop of honey but now I like it without anything added.

Peppermint tea is also good.

Also, hot apple cider. I buy the sugar free packets and it’s only 15 calories.
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    I enjoy the Sugar Cookie Sleighride tea by Celestial Seasonings ,
    Just eat the chocolate! Everything in moderation is my motto. Eat why you like! Don’t overdo it and if you don’t have a calorie deficit, make room for it the next day. Or work out and burn some calories to make room for your favorite treat.

On a side note, and I would never recommend this but I’m being transparent.... I used to drink smooth move tea when I cheated. It’s gave me a stomachache but it got rid of everything on the inside lol

I am also working on eating things when I want them :) A couple days I had a couple Kinder Bueno Bars and felt very satisfied after :) I don't eat a lot of chocolate, but I do my best to listen when I want something and to really enjoy it :) Also that smooth moves technique sounds like a method of purging through laxatives :( That is really difficult
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    To OP: I often like to eat blueberries and cream or other berries with it. OR a hot cereal like oats with brown sugar and milk :) These offer nutrition. If I really want a few cookies or chocolate, I let myself have it and really enjoy it
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    I find a cup of mint flavored or vanilla flavored tea with one 40 calorie Dove Dark Chocolate Promise takes care of my chocolate cravings when I've pretty much used up my calories.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Chai teas are an especially good fall-winter tea. One of my favorites is Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice tea. It's an herbal tea (no caffeine) and it has great flavors of vanilla, ginger, cardamom, cloves and nutmeg (perfect for the holidays!). You can add a bit of sugar and milk to make it a true chai or drink it on its own (that's usually what I do). Quite satisfying!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    I'm a bit of a tea junkie, I like most teas and price range varies. I drink herbal teas at night. Celestial Seasonings and Stash have good Christmas blends. Yogi tea is on sale at Sprouts, one after dinner one i bought has roasted fennel, chicory, and cardamom. Another in a red box has rose and hibiscus. I love peppermint chamomile. Also love chai. Trader Joe's harvest blend is good. Good Earth Sweet and Spicy has a strong cinnamon flavor, it's great as iced tea too and it's cheap. Tazo Zen is great. Celestial Seasonings Tension tamer I lived on in college. I have loose rooibos chai, it's really good. Yogi Refresh has licorice in it, I love that one.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    nawk6 wrote: »
    Any ideas out there for a type of tea that help with chocolate and/or sweet cravings after dinner? I've tried and enjoyed Tazo glazed lemon loaf tea but need to expand my horizons. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

My cravings often have nothing to do with the specific food I think I want. On the way home today, I was really jonesing for a Boston Cream donut or an apple filled donut, but I was just hungry, and was satisfied with apple, cheese, and peanut butter.

Tea has helped me with the desire for something sweet after dinner, but now I am limiting my fluid intake to earlier in the day. But previously it was Twining Earl Grey (prior to the formula change in 2019) with a splash of Celestial Seasonings peach tea, 1 t sugar, and 1/4 t half & half.

If I don't have a big dinner, I will have 60 calories worth of canned peaches for dessert. I've also had 35-70 calories worth of chocolate chips or a Ghirardelli chocolate square. (I am unable to moderate chocolate bars, but am fine with chocolate chips or squares.)
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    I like mint tea- Bigelow mint medley. I don’t drink it after dinner, but I like it for after lunch or afternoon cravings.

After dinner, I like to have a smaller, portion-controlled chocolatey snack. I just discovered Yasso 100-calorie frozen yogurt bars (surprised at how good the cookie dough, fudge brownie & mint chip are- and no artificial sugars). I also get a monthly Daily Harvest order (I drink the smoothies for breakfast every morning) and like the Bites- there is a Hazelnut Chocolate one & one that tastes like cookie dough.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Mint or apple cinnamon.