Does constipation prevent you from losing?

I “go” just small amount every day. I weigh 221 and I’ve ate 1200 calories the last week and I’ve gained .5lbs, I’m assuming it’s because I need to go to the bathroom :(

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    It won't prevent you from burning fat, but it will keep your scale weight a bit static, yes. As will water retention.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! And get to walking! Eat a few of fibrous vegetables every day.
  • armyvet25
    armyvet25 Posts: 48 Member
    I “go” just small amount every day. I weigh 221 and I’ve ate 1200 calories the last week and I’ve gained .5lbs, I’m assuming it’s because I need to go to the bathroom :(

same here, I even went up 2 lbs one day then down 3 the following. Between that and water retention, don't sweat it. I weigh in each day but look at my weekly to determine my results.
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    edited November 2019
    If you can budget the calories easily, I've found that Fiber One bars do the trick to resolve that problem. :smile:
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Weight loss is a long term process. You can't tell anything by a week. Constipation could certainly be affecting the scale. Or soemthign unrelated. A lot causes short term movements up or down in the scale besides fat loss. Give your current plan at least a month before you consider reevaluating.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Do you drink protein shakes at all? Or consume pudding or yogurt or cereal? I add a tbsp of uncrushed chia seeds to many things but the items I listed above are super simple to add it to and I like the texture(if you are a thick texture person) they add to things when they are given a chance to soak a bit. I have chronic issues my doc is blaming on so many years of being refused treatment for hypothyroid. Chia helps a little bit without blocking things further for me like some other fibres will.

Your scale will fluctuate yes, but if you weigh daily you will spot the trends.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    If you can budget the calories easily, I've found that Fiber One bars do the trick to resolve that problem. :smile:

I love Fibre One bars, I'm not really sure how effective they are but they're certainly worth a try :)
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    i take magnesium 400 mg, friend at the gym told me Dr Oz says do this and it works.