Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Diet Face" - should we choose face over body or vice versa?

Replies

• grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited November 2019
    No contest; I would choose to have diet face over diet body.

Face makeup, including contouring, is a thing and easy (comparatively speaking) if I ever reach the point where I feel I had to do something nonsurgical about it. Full body makeup and where the excess skin hangs out...eh, not so much. And I haaaaaate compression "shapewear" with the energy of a thousand suns. Tried it once and I will never voluntarily pay for that kind of torture again. Ever.

When it comes to surgery, face and neck are going to be way cheaper than body from clavicles to patellas. As a result, the much more likely of the two to be financially feasible in my life. Unfortunately for me, it is beginning to look a lot like I am going to end up with diet body > diet face in terms of the skin ravages secondary to chronic obesity even though I started with less than 100 lbs. to lose. :\

Granted, not much less than 100 lbs., but I admittedly blithely hoped it was the magic number. Kinda like the body modification rule of thumb lore that anything smaller than aught (0) gauge - 8mm - stretch of the ear lobes will shrink back to relatively normal if the plugs/tunnels/etc. are removed. I stopped stretching at 2 gauge (6mm) and can attest no daylight is seen through my lobes if the tunnels are out for more than 3-4 days or so. So the logic went if the ear lobe one is true, ergo... :D

Finally, I would prefer a SO to have diet face over diet body as well. For the exact same reasons. :)

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    For those suspicious that diet face isn’t a thing, here’s a pic I snapped where my face looks like a deflated balloon. 7spim1xojec4.jpeg

Did you lose a very substantial amount?
    I lost over 100 pounds, and while I have loose skin, I don't think I really have any in the face - the neck is the closest to it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I've yet to reach a point where my face did not look better when thinner. I've never been super lean, but that's true for around BMI 22 (vs BMI 26, say), so I guess I'd pick face over body in that if BMI 20 affected my face I'd be fine being less lean.

Other goals, like running, might change the equation, but not just being leaner on its own.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited November 2019
    For those suspicious that diet face isn’t a thing, here’s a pic I snapped where my face looks like a deflated balloon. 7spim1xojec4.jpeg

I lost over 100 pounds, and while I have loose skin, I don't think I really have any in the face - the neck is the closest to it.

I’ve lost 39 lbs to date. I’m 58, so that’s probably a factor.

But my version of “diet face” isn’t the same as what I’ve seen in others. Although I’ve seen it mostly at the gym, it could be “steroid face” for all I know. Kind of a flatness in the upper part of the face, and deep lines when they smile. I’d happily trade my version for that version.

I don’t really have “diet body” as @grinning_chick phrased it. No stretch marks or hanging skin (besides my face), at least not more than most 58 year olds.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    A woman at my gym who is in her mid-30s competed in a bikini bodybuilding competition last year. I saw pics of her at the event and while her body looked incredible her face was shocking. She looked like she was in her 60s with terminal cancer. She had lost all the fat in her face and looked old, haggard and wrinkled. So yeah, “diet face” is a thing.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member

I’ve lost 39 lbs to date. I’m 58, so that’s probably a factor.

But my version of “diet face” isn’t the same as what I’ve seen in others. Although I’ve seen it mostly at the gym, it could be “steroid face” for all I know. Kind of a flatness in the upper part of the face, and deep lines when they smile. I’d happily trade my version for that version.

I don’t really have “diet body” as @grinning_chick phrased it. No stretch marks or hanging skin (besides my face), at least not more than most 58 year olds.
    Like what I call the Tom Platz smile?
    19424206_1892601370979314_267675653528248953_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQkLS4dhN06OoEvD-UHGu3BJ519gT5maM8R-O9wdAbLiM04lu07r99tHAFowzgxL-TI&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=06a1fa3afa3f917a3f431c5004d95e62&oe=5E46DBBC
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    I have big puffy cheeks no matter what. At my highest weight, my face was very round and it has decreased as I've lost weight. But, my dang cheeks, especially when I smile and my dimples come out. They're so pronounced that a friend once said she could stick a cheerio in one, haha. I didn't know "diet face" was a thing. I would like my face to be much less round when I smile, since your face is typically the most prominent part of you in photos. But I don't think I'm ever going to have a not-puffy face no matter how much more I lose :(
  • angelgreathouse9
    angelgreathouse9 Posts: 103 Member
    jo7tei1isus8.jpeg
    iv8afv3yq51k.jpeg
    Black & white photo... definite diet face
    Pink shirt... not so much 😂
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    One of my husband's friends claimed that a gain of half a pound a year after age 40 would fill in all the wrinkles and keep you looking young. I figure at my current age and weight I could get well into my 90s before actually becoming overweight.

But seriously, I know it has been said that after a certain age, people (specifically women) have to choose between their tush or their face looking good. At 50 I know that when I am at the weight and body fat where I feel most confident in a bikini, my face does tend to look a little gaunt. I haven't given into Botox or fillers yet (and I may be the only woman in my neighborhood over 35 who hasn't) but I think I would rather use cosmetic procedures to plump up my skin, than gain enough weight to bring back the chubby cheeks of my youth.
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    If I were so unhappy with my face due to weight lose I'd save up for a face lift. The cost in the long run is much greater when you're fat over being skinny with a face skin issues that could be improved with a face lift.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2020
    So I guess that what I'm embarrassed about most when I gain weight is actually a blessing. If I gain 10 lbs, it all goes to my face first. And I'm not kidding. It's insidious. I don't even need to get on a scale, though I do. My wife is the opposite. She can gain 20 and her face looks the same. No weight gain.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    So I guess that what I'm embarrassed about most when I gain weight is actually a blessing. If I gain 10 lbs, it all goes to my face first. And I'm not kidding. It's insidious. I don't even need to get on a scale, though I do. My wife is the opposite. She can gain 20 and her face looks the same. No weight gain.

I get the face gains pretty early too. I still pretty much get recognized 60lbs lighter because so little has come off my face (I got rid of a lot of chin fat, fortunately, but I still definitely carry more than many women with my stats).
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I always show weight gain in my face too. The curse of chubby cheeks! I've been forever envious of people who could carry some extra weight yet still look exactly the same in the face. That is so not me.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member

I get the face gains pretty early too. I still pretty much get recognized 60lbs lighter because so little has come off my face (I got rid of a lot of chin fat, fortunately, but I still definitely carry more than many women with my stats).

Still twinning, I see.