Frozen vegetable calories

xKJAMS
xKJAMS Posts: 8 Member
edited November 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi... so I was just wondering if anybody else notices the inconsistencies with frozen vegetables and their nutritional value... ? I have a bag of Birdseye frozen cauliflower and broccoli. It says on the package one cup or 79 grams is a serving of 60 Calories...so I cooked them, and I put them on a scale and one large piece of cooked cauliflower was already at 65 grams... I put a piece of broccoli on, and it went up to over 79 already... but it was barley even a third of a cup.... I am so confused... which measurement should I use for accuracy???

I always have this problem with any frozen veggies... sometimes it’s the opposite though, like the box will say there are three servings ... but there’s actually only two if you go by the cups or whatever... ugh

Replies

• xKJAMS
    xKJAMS Posts: 8 Member
    Wait... really?! Frozen?? Because I never weigh anything frozen.... won’t they weigh more that way?? I understand the water, but they shrink ... like take meat... if you weigh a one lb roll of hamburger meat while it frozen, that thing is like a brick.. I thought the same for vegetables.... interesting.... the label isn’t very clear with veggies the way it is with other foods that day “Dry” or “cooked” etc. so I don’t know. I will try that next time and see if it makes a difference

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    you're supposed to weigh meat raw for calories purpose. I weigh all frozen things frozen.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I just eyeball it (I know I know) but most veg is super low in calories anyways
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Put the container you are going to cook in on some scales, tar it to 0 then add how much you want to cook while frozen. Presto. Not only do you have the correct weight as to the nutritional label, but you have also saved dishes as you don't have a cup to wash.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Frozen things don't conform to cups very well, so you'll get less in a cup frozen than you will thawed. Smaller frozen things like peas will have less variability than chunked frozen things like broccoli or cauliflower - though, I've found that a lot of non-starchy veggies have such low calorie counts that the measurable difference starts becoming negligible on my scale, which rounds everything to the nearest 5g.