Do you need to squeeze glutes at the top of deadlifts and squats?

So I’m new to the gym. My goal is to lose 20 pounds. Lots of videos on YouTube were saying to squeeze your glutes at the top of deadlifts and squats but some forums and articles were saying not to. I videod myself doing the sumo deadlift and I realised I’m hinging my hips too forward and making a big motion squeezing my glutes if you get wat I mean.

Please advise me on this
Thanks! x

Replies

• Nope. It’s not needed to complete the lift.
  • SSFx19
    SSFx19 Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you everyone!
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    SSFx19 wrote: »
    So I’m new to the gym. My goal is to lose 20 pounds. Lots of videos on YouTube were saying to squeeze your glutes at the top of deadlifts and squats but some forums and articles were saying not to. I videod myself doing the sumo deadlift and I realised I’m hinging my hips too forward and making a big motion squeezing my glutes if you get wat I mean.

Please advise me on this
    Thanks! x

there are lots of threads in myfitness pal that address the limited value weightlifting has on losing weight.

many of us here have proven to ourselves that it's the calories we consume (or not ) that have the significant impact on weight loss goals.

lifting will keep you strong and toned, but, you'll need to do a huge amount of it to get the same calorie burn as simply reducing the amount of food you eat.

good luck.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    My physical therapist has me squeeze at the top of the movement (making sure not to hyper extend) but maybe that’s just a PT thing. I’ve had bilateral hip FAI/labrum repair surgeries and glute activation and stability is the goal of almost all of my pre and post op PT exercises.