Beans beans beans!

I have been so hungry for spicier foods lately....I have a couple of great recipes using beans that satisfy this recent craving of mine!
Tostados
3 La Banderita corn tostados 165 calories
1/2 c. Old El Paso refried beans. 110 calories
1oz. Shredded Colby jack cheese 110 calories
3 T mild,medium or hot salsa
1 or 2 T diced onions

Mix together in a small bowl

Spread evenly over 3 tostados

Put in microwave until mixture bubbles

Put sliced peppers,shredded lettuce and 2 T lite sour cream ( 40 calories) on top of hot tostados
You can also add diced tomatoes if you wish

These are very filling and really hit the spot if you are hungry for Mexican food!..these tostados are really a good large size and they hold together to eat them...

Cannelloni Bean Salad ( white kidney beans )

1 can drained and rinsed beans
1 clove minced garlic
2T diced onion
Juice of one lime
1T olive oil
2T red wine vinegar
Black pepper

Mix together and chill until flavors mix....two or three hours....I like this as a side or on top of a tossed salad.

Black beans and yellow rice

Pour can of black beans with liquid in a sauce pan
1 T diced green pepper
1 T diced onion
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 to 1 tsp cumin
Hot sauce if you dare!

Heat until vegetables are soft but not completely cooked

1 package Yellow Saffron Vigo Rice using chicken broth to cook with instead of water...add No oil or butter...cook until rice is almost done and then remove from heat but leave lid on the pan until ready to use

Serve 1 cup rice with 1/2 cup beans and a salad for a healthy dinner...
You could also have a grilled chicken breast added to this for additional calories

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    A serving size of the white bean salad is 1/2 cup unless you want more calories
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    You might like this recipe:

Barley Salad with Black Beans

Last week, the gourmet sandwich shop downstairs from my office had a barley salad on the specials menu. It was delicious. So delicious that my coworker and I both need more barley salad this week. I just made a big batch with my usual "just put whatever sounds good in it" cooking method. Well it is delicious and the stats are great! Here is a vague recipe; it made a huge bowl that I am going to consider 10 servings, and it's very tasty!

Barley Salad with Black Beans

Cook one cup barley in two cups water; when done, let it sit until it cools off.
    Pour one can black beans into a strainer and rinse them well.
    Take the remainder of a bag of frozen corn out of the freezer and let it thaw.
    Chop up some red pepper, scallions or onion, celery and a jalapeno.
    1 cup cucumber or zucchini raw chopped or diced
    2 cups broccoli florets
    Tomato
    Basil

For the dressing:
    juice of one lemon, about 3 tablespoons EVOO, 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt and a shake of dried marjoram - mix together and let it sit while you chop up the vegetables.
    After the barley cools mix it with the chopped vegetables, then pour in the dressing and mix well.

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    The barley bean salad sounds really good!
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Here is another bean recipe that someone shared with me yesterday. I can't wait for it to get cool enough around here fo me to try this.

Mediterranian Three Bean Soup With Tomato Pesto
    Vegetarian. Gluten Free. Great to make ahead and freeze (see notes.)

Ingredients:
    Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
    3 Large russet potato, peeled, diced into small cubes
    3 medium yellow onion, chopped
    3 15-oz can diced tomatoes
    3 tbsp white vinegar
    3 tbsp ground coriander (cilantro)
    3 tsp Spanish paprika
    Salt and pepper
    15 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or broth of your choice)
    24-oz frozen spinach, no need to thaw
    6 cups cooked red kidney beans (or 3 15-oz can)
    6 cups cooked cannellini beans (or 3 15-oz can)
    6 cups cooked chickpeas (or 3 15-oz can)
    Basil leaves for garnish, optional
    1 cup toasted pine nuts for garnish, optional

For Tomato Pesto Sauce:
    6–9 large garlic cloves (you can start with less garlic if you’re not sure)
    4 1/2 cup diced fresh tomatoes
    45–60 large basil leaves
    1 1/2 cup Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
    Salt and pepper
    1 to 1 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions:
    In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat two tbsp of olive oil. Reduce heat to medium and add the diced potatoes and onions. Cook for about 4-5 minutes, tossing regularly.
    Add tomatoes, vinegar, spices, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Cover and cook for another 4 minutes.
    Uncover, add vegetable broth and frozen spinach. Raise heat to medium-high and bring to a boil for 4 minutes or so. Add the kidney beans, cannellini beans, and chickpeas. Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes (potatoes should be tender at this point).
    While soup is cooking, make the tomato pesto. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade, place garlic and tomatoes. Pulse a few times to combine. Add basil and puree. While processor is running, drizzle in the olive oil a little bit at a time. Transfer the thick tomato pesto to a bowl, and stir in grated Parmesan.
    When soup is ready, remove from heat. Stir in the tomato pesto.
    Transfer to serving bowl. Top each bowl with a few basil leaves and toasted pine nuts. Enjoy with your favorite crusty bread!

Notes
    Cook’s Tip: This soup is great to serve a crowd or for meal prep. To store leftovers, use glass containers with a tight lid and refrigerate for 2 to 3 days. You can also freeze cooked bean soup in portions. Thaw overnight in the fridge and heat stovetop over medium heat, stirring often.