Body weight only exercises?

Any good successes from doing body weight only exercises? I have home gym equipment but honestly I hate using it lol but I do enjoy body weight exercises. I know you’ll get some results but I’m hoping to hear from people who pretty much exclusively do body weight exercises and got good results (just don’t want to be wasting my time).

I’m not looking to get ripped, just build some muscle for better posture and general fitness (and to help boost weight loss).

Thanks!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    The website Nerd Fitness has a couple of body weight programs, and I've seen many people recommend Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym, both books I believe.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    YAYOG has a phone app with little video clips and workouts that my daughter loves.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    some yoga programs focus on strength. sometimes called power yoga
    i had a couple of dvds. one by rodney yee and one by bob harper.
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    edited November 2019
    The /r/bodyweightfitness recommended routine is one option - https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

• Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    fuzzylop_ wrote: »
    The /r/bodyweightfitness recommended routine is one option - https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

This is what I was going to post as well. There a tons of people that get in great shape using body weight exercises only. If fact, there are calisthenic workouts and isometric holds that are quite impressive and require amazing amounts of strength that are only base on body weight. Check it out!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I almost exclusively do bodyweight exercises for upper body. You Are Your Own Gym is good for basic strength. If you want to get into Calisthenics or Gymnastics skills, then I highly recommend GMB Fitness or Thenx. I think AthleanX has a bodyweight only program too.
  • Cat_A_89
    Cat_A_89 Posts: 93 Member
    Youtube is full of workout videos just search bodyweight only workouts and you should get alot of results
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    I've been following the book "Body By You" (essentially the precursor to YAYOG) since June and I'm amazed at the progress I've made! I've never been in better shape, I have actual muscle definition in my arms, abs, and my thighs even! I don't think I'll ever step foot in a gym. Calisthenics is the best!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Piyo is good too.
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    I lift - because I enjoy it.

But I KNOW AND HAVE WITNESSED that you can get (and stay) in great shape "body weight only" training.
    And it need not take MONTHS AND MONTHS. I had a shoulder injury that lead me to take longer to even out muscle imbalances, but otherwise I'm here to tell you that crazy progress can be made in a mere 90 days ...