pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    76btjbbc0jgx.png

i still eat these tbh
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited November 2019
    76btjbbc0jgx.png

i still eat these tbh

What are these? Looks like chicken nugget cereal LOL.
  • pancakerunner
    76btjbbc0jgx.png

i still eat these tbh

What are these? Looks like chicken nugget cereal LOL.

dhycl7xszzzq.png
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I haven't had most the things people listed, maybe because I grew up in the 80s? I don't believe I've ever had Little Debbie's. Definitely had Hoho's, Hostess chocolate vanilla and orange cupcakes, Zingers, and Ding Dongs were my favorite.

Little Debbie's are still sold now. Absolutely sold in the 80s.

Snack cakes, especially Little Debbie's, are the only food that I could probably say I "binged" with - mostly in the summer of 1983. (I'm not a binger generally.)

They were, however, the cheaper snack cakes. Some households may have felt they were inferior to Hostess and other brands, so that could be why you never had them.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Today ... The sweet n sour bite of NZ pre vinegared mussels is on my mind. Miss the tubs my Dad would purchase and stock the fridge with. I was more prone to reach for one of these tubs( slightly clear tubs in my day), with soft yucca spears or sweet potato to eat whilst watching movies or reading a novel.

l2kal6yc8gae.png
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    boldknee wrote: »
    I haven't had most the things people listed, maybe because I grew up in the 80s? I don't believe I've ever had Little Debbie's. Definitely had Hoho's, Hostess chocolate vanilla and orange cupcakes, Zingers, and Ding Dongs were my favorite.

Snack cakes, especially Little Debbie's, are the only food that I could probably say I "binged" with - mostly in the summer of 1983. (I'm not a binger generally.)

They were, however, the cheaper snack cakes. Some households may have felt they were inferior to Hostess and other brands, so that could be why you never had them.

Maybe Little Debbie is more regional? Because I grew up in the 80s too, in Missouri, and they were very prevalent alongside Hostess and others. Meanwhile I'd never had Tastycake brand, which I think is more East and/or Northern US? Not sure!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    boldknee wrote: »

I'm positive it's not that they were inferior, both parents grew up poor and my mom is great at pinching pennies. We did have a Hostess outlet by our house.
  • emsmiley12
    emsmiley12 Posts: 22 Member
    Literally anything Italian, for any meal. Especially cold pizza. That was a big ‘grab it on your way out on Monday morning after a weekend of friends and family’ thing lol!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    wa2h6c21bjwe.jpg

These came in different smurf designs. It's just plain chocolate poured into a plastic mold. The mold itself is surprisingly well detailed (doesn't look like it in the picture), but when you take the chocolate out you can tell exactly what the picture is on the chocolate. We used to have so much fun with this! We used to fill the mold with plaster of paris then color it, or hold it close to the heater (it kind of melts and flattens out) and make trading cards. The chocolate was cheap but good.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    We baked a delicious poppy seed strudel yesterday - haven't tried this since childhood.
  • 777Gemma888
    We baked a delicious poppy seed strudel yesterday - haven't tried this since childhood.

Tried that in Calabasas in my mid twenties, so not much a childhood memory for me. Our ( sis & I ) had a Hungarian friend's mum who would always make some for Shabbat dinner. Sometimes she added pecans or walnuts to them which was just as lovely a bite.
  • pancakerunner
    8nbxzkxx3hyj.jpg

omg
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    zaf0g4hwae5m.png

For a moment I thought the wicker in the back was long rows of nutty buddys and became envious.
  • bear2303
    bear2303 Posts: 252 Member
    cw1e26bf2ok2.png

Ok so this is VERY off topic but your package of hot chocolate mix made me think of it and i can't not share now. Anyway, so my best friend's boss is a geologist and a major chocoholic. Both are equally relevant to the story trust me.

So she used to sometimes just eat straight hot chocolate mix like in powder form if she didn't have any other source of chocolate around. One day she was working and got a craving so she spied a little pile of powder on the corner of her desk and scooped it up and ate it. It was then that she realized that the powder on her desk wasn't hot chocolate mix but was ACTUALLY DIRT. GIRL ATE STRAIGHT UP DIRT THINKING IT WAS CHOCOLATE.
  • RelCanonical
    edited November 2019
    bear2303 wrote: »
    cw1e26bf2ok2.png

Ok so this is VERY off topic but your package of hot chocolate mix made me think of it and i can't not share now. Anyway, so my best friend's boss is a geologist and a major chocoholic. Both are equally relevant to the story trust me.

So she used to sometimes just eat straight hot chocolate mix like in powder form if she didn't have any other source of chocolate around. One day she was working and got a craving so she spied a little pile of powder on the corner of her desk and scooped it up and ate it. It was then that she realized that the powder on her desk wasn't hot chocolate mix but was ACTUALLY DIRT. GIRL ATE STRAIGHT UP DIRT THINKING IT WAS CHOCOLATE.

🤮
  • slimtastesbetter
    slimtastesbetter Posts: 7,963 Member
    I will admit I've eaten hot chocolate mix powder with a spoon when I am craving chocolate and no other chocolate in the house.... But yikes on eating dirt thinking it was chocolate! Reminds me as a kid when I drank apple cider vinegar thinking it was apple juice! :s
  • RelCanonical
    I will admit I've eaten hot chocolate mix powder with a spoon when I am craving chocolate and no other chocolate in the house.... But yikes on eating dirt thinking it was chocolate! Reminds me as a kid when I drank apple cider vinegar thinking it was apple juice! :s

I must have a dry mouth because it would drive me up the wall from a texture standpoint to eat powdery things dry. I am a frosting fiend but I can't stand powdered sugar unless it is mixed with something.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    edited November 2019
    Have those Lifesaver "books" been mentioned yet, I used to get them every Christmas. I've been getting Pez dispensers in my stocking every year and I'm 48 now! Too bad I didn't save any of the early ones.
  • 777Gemma888
    bear2303 wrote: »
    cw1e26bf2ok2.png

I ate Milo granules mixed with dried fortified buttermilk powder by the spoonful as a child. Think that started before we were taught to serve ourselves from the thermos my Dad would prep for us. My sister could reach the milo and buttermilk powder, whereupon she would serve our wee cups with the correct measurements, where the hot water was the hurdle, until THERMOS. Pre-kindie.