Your favorite 3 day split workout!

Options
I'm looking to do a new 3 day split strength program. What's your favorite?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    There are a number of options here.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

My preference is AllPro, 3day full body.

Cheers, h.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Reney_13 wrote: »
    I'm looking to do a new 3 day split strength program. What's your favorite?

My trainer gives my my programming, but before that, New Rules of Lifting Supercharged was probably my favorite off the shelf type of program. I liked it because it had a variety of rep schemes to work with and it didn't assign you a specific lift, but rather a template for each workout with type of movement to be performed (ie hinge, single leg, etc) and then a whole host of lifts that checked the box for that particular movement, so you could get quite a bit of variety. I find programs like Starting Strength and Stronglifts to be boring AF...but it really depends on what you're after.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Shoulders arms
    Chest back
    Legs
    + A little core each day
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Shoulders arms
    Chest back
    Legs
    + A little core each day

Pretty much this.
    Monday: shoulders and arms (main lift barbell shoulder press)
    Tuesday : chest/back (main lift bench plus working on pull ups)
    Thursday : legs (main lifts squats/deadlifts)

Most of my compound lifts work the corr anyway, but also do core work with PT. Do cardio mon-sat, on my own, with a PT and in classes. Also do trx and bodyweight stuff with PT
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Shoulders arms
    Chest back
    Legs
    + A little core each day

Chest and back are massive muscle groups and in my opinion should be done on separate days. It makes mores sense to group Chest and Triceps together as well as Back and Biceps because the muscle groups are complimentary. Chest exercises work your triceps, then at the end of the workout you can hit your triceps with isolated lifts to burn them out. Same with Back and Biceps. My 3rd split is usually Legs and Shoulders, but if you're open to a 4 day split, you can give each of those their own day.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    My primary days are generally Chest and Legs, Shoulders, Back and Abs.
    I hit arms whenever I feel like it to supplement a workout but do not really schedule them in anymore as I tend work them pretty hard with my compound work.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

AJ_G wrote: »
    Shoulders arms
    Chest back
    Legs
    + A little core each day

Chest and back are massive muscle groups and in my opinion should be done on separate days. It makes mores sense to group Chest and Triceps together as well as Back and Biceps because the muscle groups are complimentary. Chest exercises work your triceps, then at the end of the workout you can hit your triceps with isolated lifts to burn them out. Same with Back and Biceps. My 3rd split is usually Legs and Shoulders, but if you're open to a 4 day split, you can give each of those their own day.

Thank you. I reworked a 4 day program into 3 because that works better with my schedule. My intent was to put opposing muscle groups together, but I’ll consider your suggestions.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    When I have 3 days to lift, rather than my usual 2, I tend to stick with full body, but break up the exercises so each gets worked twice. For example:
    Mon squats, bench, deadlift, ohp
    Wed squat, bench, split squat, row
    Thurs deadlift, ohp, hip thrusts, pullups Something like that anyway...
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If I only lifted 3 days per week I guess I’d do a Push/Pull/Legs routine. I’d be sad only hitting legs once per week though.