Trying to lose and avoid the big D

Good morning! My name is Tracy and I’m a 51 year old newbie here. I need to lose some serious weight, and not fall into diabetes! I’ve been on this app for a month for a month and have lost 7lbs, and my A1C is a 6.1. This morning I really screwed up and had a 71 carb breakfast ! It’s my first major screw up, and I am BUMMED! What’s worse? I have a horrible back injury, which required major surgery, and walking is a challenge! I’m signed up for PT, but in the meantime, I’m sorta stuck. A low thyroid isn’t helping matters. Anyone can relate to this scenario?? Eating oatmeal is great, I added too many goodies to it. Meh...

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    edited November 2019
    I was 6.1 A1C last April. Lost 80 plus lbs and it was 5.2 in Oct. Count your calories like a hawk and be consistent staying at your calorie deficit, no excuses and you will lose weight and improve your A1C. Even losing 20-30 lbs will help. Hearing the news last April is exactly what I needed to get my *kitten* in gear! You can do it. Weigh food on a food scale by gram.
  • tracydnevins
    tracydnevins Posts: 27 Member
    Thanks! I do need a scale, but for now, I’m measuring everything!! Also, I’m seeing a nutritionist. Still, oi! I really got upset by going over yesterday on the carbs. I still had plenty of calories, but since I can’t burn them with regular exercise at the moment, I try to stay under.
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Just stay consistent with logging your food and staying within your calorie goals and deficits. I measure out everything I eat .. I weigh my self everyday and watch my salt and water weight. Watch out for 2 much salt and drink a lot of water to flush out your body. B12 vitamins will boost your metabolism as well. I buy the energy gummy vitamins and they have worked 4 me. I have sent you a message to befriend me if u wish! Your making good progress!
  • tracydnevins
    Thank you April!! Another horrible start to the AM... meh...but....I’m not going to let the set backs get me down. I wish I had more support here, like someone to do this with!! I’m terrified of diabetes!! I can’t wait to start PT!! I think it makes a world of difference. I have titanium rods in my back, and it’s all messed up. I need a before and after pic. I didn’t get your request, but I’d love friends here!! 🌻
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    also, don't beat yourself up for one bad day. Everyone has a bad now now and then and one day is only a small part of an entire week, which is part of an entire month, and so forth. As long as the one day doesn't become three or four in a row, it won't derail your progress - just pick up and start again the next day!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Don't get too hard on yourself for going over carbs...making mistakes and learning from it is all part of the learning process that you go through on MFP. And the macros ARE secondary...the more important thing is to try to stick to the calorie goals anyway. And even then, you're going to make mistakes or it's Thanksgiving and so on. The goal is to do it most of the time.
  • tracydnevins
    The HOLIDAYS!!!! ugh...lol Thanksgiving won’t be as bad as Christmas. It seems like everyone has expectations, and I hate letting them down! The parties, a taste of this and that. The Dr. said my thyroid was super low, but it was up to me to get on synthriod. More meds. Nah. I HAVE to do this!!!!!
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    My A1C has been around the 6 mark plus or minus a tenth for a while. In May, just under a month out from second side hip replacement and not moving much beyond my PT, my weight was 281along with my 6 A1C. When I go in Wednesday for my next appointment, I have a good chance of being exactly 40 lbs lighter than I was last time. I was a pound or so away when I last weighed in. I am really hoping, expecting a major drop in A1C also. I have been targeting this day for a long time.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    My take on holidays: if they are only a "momentary" distraction from and not a total derailment of what you are doing, by all means enjoy, don't deny yourself; just keep it real. In my case, the first chance I get upon coming home is to walk or go to fitness center.
  • stanlfink
    stanlfink Posts: 267 Member
    I’m 57. I was pre-diabetic and had all kinds of ailments. I shed over 100 lbs and have kept it off. All of my physical exam panels look great! I feel great. You can do this too!!!! It’s all about watching calories and carbs....mostly bad processed food carbs like sugar white flour and such. Eating raw vegetables really helps. They fill you up, have low calories and lots of vitamins and nutrients. For me, limiting the number of hours in a day for eating helped me too with not giving myself so many hours to overeat and to not have a full belly at night and sleep better.

Friend me if you like for support or anything else you might need.

Best,

Stan
  • Rocoup
    Rocoup Posts: 669 Member
    I've got the BIG D
  • tracydnevins
    I’m sorry....my siblings all have it. Some is just Hereditary. I really hope you can control it without complications.