Plateau help!

I am new-ish to MFP and have recently restarted using it again as I have hit a plateau in weightloss. I am averaging around 1500kcals/day when MFP states to maintain my current weight I should be eating 1900kcal/day (therefore always in a deficit).
I’m fairly active - I’m on my feet all day often walking 10-12000 steps/day plus going to F45 and pilates and/or running throughout the week. I also have the negative calorie adjustments switched on as I wear a fitbit and that makes me in even more of a deficit.
My question is, have I been in a calorie deficit for too long and should I increase my calorie intake for a while OR do I reduce my calorie intake further? I don’t want to put weight back on, nor do I want to loose weight crazily!

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    How long have you been on a "plateau?"
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    edited November 2019
    When was the last time your weight went down?

What has your weight been over the last 4-6 weeks?

How tall are you, how much do you weigh and how much are you trying to lose?

How are you calculating your calorie intake (weighing food on a scale, measuring cups, guessing by eye etc.)?

Edited for typo
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    If it has been less than a month since the scale went down at all, then it's not a plateau. That is especially true if you have a menstrual cycle. Weight loss does not happen at the same pace every week and you will have some weeks of no change on the scale.

If your exercise routine is new to you (i.e., you just started it within the past few weeks), then it's also not a plateau as you may be retaining water from the normal muscle repair process.

Having said that, now is a good time to make sure that a) you are weighing ALL of your food using a food scale, and b) your calorie goal is appropriate for your stats. What is your current weight, goal weight, and height?
  • nadynebrown92
    nadynebrown92 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for replying!

I am 5ft 2” and weigh 67-68kg and have been at this weight for the last 3 months (beginning of July) and my clothes are still the same tightness since then also.

I am only hoping to loose a couple kgs (aiming for 60-62kg). I know the scales don’t reveal all so more importantly I want my clothes to fit better 😂

I have been doing same exercises since April, so not new but also not old as I always try and mix it up.

I am now weighing everything meticulously using a digital scale but I am just unsure what my aims should be in terms of daily calorie goals.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    OK, over that time period, if you are being meticulous with your calories IN, it sounds like you've discovered your maintenance calories. Just lower your calories by 150-250 calories/day (should be about .5 lb loss or .25 kg per week.) and hold at that level for a few weeks and see if that doesn't get you jump started again. You only have a little to lose, so you'll want to go slow and steady.