Keto help.

Hello everyone.

Im looking for some advice, Ill love to start a keto diet but have no idea where or how to start.

Im currently on a healthy "diet" which is the same food 6 days per week, so eating the same is not a problem for me.

Breakfast" Egg whites, green/orange/red peppers, mushrooms,spinach, 3 blend cheese, deli turkey breast.
Snack: Smoothie 2% milk, Greek yogurt, peanut butter, chia seed, spinach and frozen berries(blackberries, raspberries, blueberries) OR chicken wrap Spinach tortilla, chicken breast, feta cheese.
Lunch: Chicken breast, Cauliflower rice, mixed veggies(carrots, corn, green beans)

Dinner: Spring mix lettuce, chicken breast.

Like I said earlier ill love to start keto but I have not idea where or how to start.
Thanks

Replies

• cinm2014
    cinm2014 Posts: 15 Member
    Hello siveriano86

I just started the Keto diet and also using Keto supplements. I got a couple of books on Amazon on the Keto diet and started there. My Dad and I are also using the Supplement Keto BHB, also off Amazon.

I'm like you; I like keeping things simple. I eat basically the same thing every day because I know it works for me. One requirement for me is that I like the foods I am eating though. I don't like avocados, etc. It's true about the Keto diet; you can lose a lot weight at least what I have experienced so far.

One thing I am working on right now is getting the right balance of carbs, fat, and protein. It's not as easy as I thought, for me anyway.

It looks like you are off to a good start! I'd like to add you as a friend if I could.
  • marcusjgrose
    marcusjgrose Posts: 16 Member
    edited November 2019
  • RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    Is there any particular reason for wanting to go Keto? Just curious.

Check out Abel James aka The Fat Burning Man's podcast
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    There is lots of solid information over in the Low Carb group. Has some threads specific to Low carb, as well as Keto friendly.
    I am not sure of the point other MFP's people make when they come on threads where people are asking specific questions and immediately try to point out no this is not the way. That is not what the OP was asking.
  • I hear ya, man it's a bit daunting at first lol....seems like carbs are literally everywhere in everything (even air I think lol). I try to stick to a max of 50 carbs but often go over it. My main thing is that I do not want to consume 1500 calories and on keto I do understand that fat and sodium content are going to be higher because I just recently learned all the No-No's that kick you out of ketosis....such as caffeine. 2 cups of coffee and no more, making sure one is getting enough sodium too, apparently that is really important. There's a lot of calories in higher fat foods, so I notice of course I don't get the kinda volume on veggies I prefer to have since I am not eating fruit (sometimes berries), I'm not eating sugar (unless I have a mini treat such as a piece or two of halloween candy because I am weak lol), and it is restricive.

So...I believe what I am doing is just low carb intake and low cal intake. I have lost 8 pounds in 14 days though and myfitnesspal can't keep up with the amount im losing actually. I watch a lot of youtube vids about keto that are by doctors....but one thing is for certain, I have lost weight, I do FEEL better overall and my mood is better. I do feel clearer for sure! Since starting this, my Lupus doesn't flare up as much, I sleep better, my skin looks AMAZING! Everyone says I look slimmer and younger....who doesn't want that at 40?! LOL.

Great post I need to follow up on because I wish to do keto better than I have but I do struggle to kee that carb range. Best of luck! You got this! You can do this, no problem! *hug*
  • TeamScorpioRI
    TeamScorpioRI Posts: 56 Member
    Starting out can be daunting, as there are alot of macros that you have to watch closely if you want to be successful. I would do alot of research first on what you can and cannot eat. As one user said, there seems to be carbs in everything, and when you are first starting a little mis-step will kick you out. There are a few YouTube channels that have alot of info (Thomas DeLower is one that comes to mind). I'm not saying its all correct, but its a good start for basics.

Next is to plan your meals. Since you have no issue eating the same thing, this will be easier. I do the same breakfast and lunch almost every day. (Eggs, bacon, avocado for breakfast.. salad for lunch). Your goal is to keep your carbs super low while increasing your fat intake. What those targets are, is a little up for debate. I have heard 70% fat, 25% protein, 5% carb, but again, that can vary for the individual.

Get test strips. They can help especially when you are starting and playing with your macros. WalMart sells them now. They are not 100% accurate, but they are a good general guide.

Don't fear the dreaded "keto-flu" everyone talks about. It effects people differently. I found it wasn't so bad for me (I got a bit grouchy, and that was it). Other friends felt like death. Know its going to happen and mentally prepare.

Hope that helps. Do the research, plan it in detail, and then dive right in.

Oh, and no cheat days! To get the benifit, you need to stay in ketosis for an extended period of time. Having a weekly cheat day (or even a meal) can mess this up.
  • cinm2014
    cinm2014 Posts: 15 Member
    Starting out can be daunting, as there are alot of macros that you have to watch closely if you want to be successful. I would do alot of research first on what you can and cannot eat. As one user said, there seems to be carbs in everything, and when you are first starting a little mis-step will kick you out. There are a few YouTube channels that have alot of info (Thomas DeLower is one that comes to mind). I'm not saying its all correct, but its a good start for basics.

Next is to plan your meals. Since you have no issue eating the same thing, this will be easier. I do the same breakfast and lunch almost every day. (Eggs, bacon, avocado for breakfast.. salad for lunch). Your goal is to keep your carbs super low while increasing your fat intake. What those targets are, is a little up for debate. I have heard 70% fat, 25% protein, 5% carb, but again, that can vary for the individual.

Get test strips. They can help especially when you are starting and playing with your macros. WalMart sells them now. They are not 100% accurate, but they are a good general guide.

Don't fear the dreaded "keto-flu" everyone talks about. It effects people differently. I found it wasn't so bad for me (I got a bit grouchy, and that was it). Other friends felt like death. Know its going to happen and mentally prepare.

Hope that helps. Do the research, plan it in detail, and then dive right in.

Oh, and no cheat days! To get the benifit, you need to stay in ketosis for an extended period of time. Having a weekly cheat day (or even a meal) can mess this up.

I am new to Keto. I have done some reading on it. How do you measure your macro nutrients to know you are on the right track?

I see avocados in a lot of recipes or on menus. Is this one of the perfect Keto foods? Are there any alternatives to avocados that you're aware of?

How do you adjust macros? They mention macros in the beginner Keto books, but don't really talk about the how-to of them.

I've already experienced the Keto Flu. It's real. I felt like crap for a couple of days, but I feel great now. It passes. I don't know if it's something that will pop-up once-in-awhile of if was a one time deal. If it does pop-up, I'll know it's temporary.

Thanks for your post, TeamScorpionRI. It was very helpful to me, too.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Start tracking your food so you can see how many net carbs (carbs minus fever grams) you're consuming and where you need to make adjustments. Other than your snack, your meals look pretty low carb already, although it depends a bit on how much of the dairy products you're eating (because lactose). You may find that if eliminate or modify the smoothie, and find a low carb tortilla (or skip it and have the chicken and veggies as a salad), you'll be at keto levels for net carbs.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Check out zero carb diet and Carnivore diet - they are extreme versions of keto but a much easier to actually follow and require no supplements to be added.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    You do realize that the initial weight loss on keto is mostly water weight, and has very little to do with any actual fat loss, right?

The last time I checked, it was -3 pounds. I have lost 24.

After your prepared your meal for next few weeks, prepare to make bread, tortillas, and "tortilla" chips (Quest). Guacamole and chips! It's egg, Canadian bacon, cheese sandwich!

All require vegetables: greens, zucchini, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, etc. Good luck!

• candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    kjm3579 wrote: »
    Check out zero carb diet and Carnivore diet - they are extreme versions of keto but a much easier to actually follow and require no supplements to be added.

No, it's not keto. It's back to 1970s' Atkins plan. It is constipation-heavy and lacks essential nutrients.
  • That_Loser_Kid
    That_Loser_Kid Posts: 2 Member
    I lost around 40kgs on a ketogenic diet. But there are more benefits than just weight loss if you’re truly interested. I found that the diet had a very good effect on lowering my inflammation issues and surprisingly, cured my constipation. But... it will effect others differently. Simple way to start keto, avoid sugar and processed foods, try to lower net carbohydrates to 30g or under a day. Stick to dark leafy greens, lean cuts of meat and organ meat if tolerated. Limit fruit to maybe some berries every now and then for some added micronutrients. Remember that ketosis is a metabolic state and not a food group, despite what the keto police say, you can still eat carrots and onion - limit is the key. Track everything in the beginning and see how you feel. (The first two weeks can be draining given your activity levels). Calculate your macros - Protein is a goal, fat is a lever (adjust to your needs, but not exceeding your limit as very calorie dense) and carbs are a limit (generally 30g and under, higher under special circumstances such as breastfeeding women, age, goal etc.)

Whatever goal you set yourself, so long as you’re feeling good doing it, your rate of personal success will be easier to obtain. Good luck!
  • jim_n_virginia
    jim_n_virginia Posts: 59 Member
    I'm on Keto for the last 7 weeks and I haveloat 25lbs. I'm no keto expert but I try to stick with it there is a ton of Keto info on YouTube.
    Basically I just reduce carbs till I am in ketosis. We got test strips at Walgreens to confirm.

Mainly no sugar, pasta, bread, rice for starchy veggies.

Please feel free to add me if you need a MFP friend for support!