Not doing as well as I had hoped

I started counting calories around October 21st or so. I seem to do ok doing the week, but fall apart on the weekend. I am 5'1, and current weight is 131. Starting weight was 132.6. GW is around 113 to 117 (I will decide more when I get there).

I am going to try a bit of a revamp this week. I am on 1450 calories a day, and I feel pretty hungry. I am adding more healthy food this week to try a bit more volume for my calories. I bought some containers to do some lunch meal prep bowls. I have been eating Lean Cuisines, and they aren't filling. I seem to be consistently low on protein, so I figure that might be part of my hunger issue. I have also figured out some foods that I seem to have trouble eating in moderation, and I have removed them from the house for now.

On the positive side - I feel pretty determined, and I am still somewhat sticking with it. I guess it's a learning process. My blood pressure was really high, so my provider wants me to lose a few pounds and limit my sodium.

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    You're on the right track by adding volume with veggies. There are other frozen meals that are more satisfying, so maybe look in your freezer section for other ones that fit your calorie profile. I've had luck with Frontera bowls.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Cinder333 wrote: »
    I started counting calories around October 21st or so. I seem to do ok doing the week, but fall apart on the weekend. I am 5'1, and current weight is 131. Starting weight was 132.6. GW is around 113 to 117 (I will decide more when I get there).

I am going to try a bit of a revamp this week. I am on 1450 calories a day, and I feel pretty hungry. I am adding more healthy food this week to try a bit more volume for my calories. I bought some containers to do some lunch meal prep bowls. I have been eating Lean Cuisines, and they aren't filling. I seem to be consistently low on protein, so I figure that might be part of my hunger issue. I have also figured out some foods that I seem to have trouble eating in moderation, and I have removed them from the house for now.

On the positive side - I feel pretty determined, and I am still somewhat sticking with it. I guess it's a learning process. My blood pressure was really high, so my provider wants me to lose a few pounds and limit my sodium.

Re low on protein - oddly, when I am low on protein, it's not that I want, but carb and fat combos like snacky things, which never fill me up. So I look at the protein count for every meal and snack and strive to hit my protein goal each day.
  • kshama2001
    ps - what's your weekly weight loss goal? If it's too aggressive that is likely the cause of hunger and falling apart on the weekend.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • MirandaLouuuu
    MirandaLouuuu Posts: 3 Member
    You're doing great! I know its a pain but try to steer clear of processed foods and stick to whole foods. Eating clean whole foods you can actually eat a lot more for fewer calories plus it just makes your body feel amazing (more energy & less bloating)!

I got super discouraged and fell off the wagon for like 3 months bc I was weighing myself all the time and the scale was not changing at all. So when i started back in August I swore off the scale and I'm only going to track my progress with pictures, maybe something like that could work for you?

Just remember its a process and these things take time!
  • Itmustbu
    Itmustbu Posts: 19 Member
    A lot of good advice here. My blood pressure came down after losing a few pounds so hopefully yours will also.

I feel for the smaller people who get so few calories but sounds like you’re on the right track
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Like you, my doctor asked me to limit my sodium intake due to high bp. It was a new way of cooking/eating/grocery shopping and took a few months for me to get good at it. Once I figured it out my bp rapidly went down to normal but then my weight just started to come off without really trying.

I was focused on that sodium level, quit buying pre-packaged food, and started using fresh veggies and fruit daily. Ms Dash was a life saver when it comes to cooking meat, soups and anything that needs a little spice flavoring.

I lost 23 pounds when I changed that one thing, sodium. I'm short too and wanted to lose 15lbs but here I am and without much effort beyond diet change which is a lifetime change also.

I don't limit my intake of vegetables and fruit, I use olive oil and flavor infused vinegars on my salads (a sodium thing) and steam or bake my vegetables now. It is gratifying for me to look at what seems like a mountain of veggies yet I can eat the whole thing if I want to without worry or regret. I rarely get hungry if it isn't approaching mealtime.
  • nfgchick1979
    nfgchick1979 Posts: 8 Member
    I used to eat lean cuisines all of the time. Never again! Be sure to look at the sodium content on those because they are usually really high. I am also short and around the same weight as you. I try to fill up on veggies like a lot of the people here mentioned.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    I agree with the poster who suggested getting more active so you can have some more calories. I’m also short 5’0” and getting more steps, daily workouts, running - it all makes it easier for me to stay in a calorie deficit. There are days I can be between 1400-1600 calories which is so much better than my low activity days at 1200-1300.

Egg whites and Greek yogurt are my go-tos to get more protein. And I do feel more satisfied when I’m hitting my calorie goal.
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    I'm short -- 5'3" -- and I'm pretty sure the only reason I exercise at ALL is to "earn" more calories, lol. Heart health? Meh. Muscles, longevity? Meh and meh. Gimme that extra 100 calories for a hummus and pretzel stick snack.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    The important bit is that you are starting to do something for your health and you are educating yourself what's good for you. Give it a chance, relax, stick with MFP and take it day by day, meal by meal.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    You can do it! I had high blood pressure too and was actually on meds for it the last three years. This year in Jan I started back up on myfitnesspal to lose weight and I lost about 20 pounds over the first 6-7 months - and I got completely off of blood pressure meds! Simple things I focused on that helped me, as I too would get too hungry at the beginning of this:
    • I found that I stayed fuller on the same calories when I added more fiber. Fiber is also supposed to help with blood pressure - I swapped one of my macros on my diary settings to be fiber to help me track it. So I added beans or lentils to my menu more to help bulk meals out and add fiber for example. Or if I have a lean cuisine (not filling) I'll add an apple and a small (weighed!) portion of peanut butter and that will add a decent bit of fiber. An apple has as much fiber as a fiber one bar or an instant oatmeal. Avocados also have tons of fiber (but are calorie dense so weigh them).
    • I have a fitbit and I made it my goal to walk every day (and as I've done it more I walk more briskly and further distances). Walking has been shown to reduce blood pressure - and it helps me get some calorie burn (which the fitbit helps track). I worked this walking into my free time throughout the day whenever I'd take a break, and now I find it really good way to de-stress - I'll listen to podcasts while I walk. I monitor daily still and my bp is a couple points higher on days I don't get to go on a good walk.
    • Sustainable, not fast. Slow and steady. Find a way you can look at the long term trend of your weight so that daily fluctuations won't bother you so much (I do this on Fitbit app where it will show a trendline)
    • Log everything. Even when you know you are going to be over that day. I figured out my maintenance calories and so on weekends I could have an indulgent night out where I may choose to eat at maintenance - but that way it's an active choice and you don't go totally off the rails. If you have a crazy night, just start fresh the next day, don't give up.
    I personally did not focus on sodium at all - I lost enough weight that this seemed to make the bigger difference for me on blood pressure - I think some people are more sensitive to it though. However of course consult with your doctor.
  • kshama2001
    For petite people, it can make losing a lot easier if you get some exercise and eat back the exercise calories, since you start with fewer to work with. Regular exercise would also benefit your blood pressure.

At almost 5'7", I'm not petite, but cannot maintain a calorie deficit on just base calories without getting hangry. Exercise calories are the tastiest! Nom nom nom.