NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Replies

• cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,546 Member
    edited November 2019
    Morning all, Sorry I have been MIA. I have no excuse except Friday was a very emotional day and I am just getting back to not being depressed. aej54zg4zid0.jpg

Thank my Grandson for trying to ruin my no sugar or sweets...but it is still unopened..

@RetiredAndLovingIt Sounds like you are on the right track...and no thanks on the snow.

@TeresaW1020 I bet your home looks great. Yes you can do this. I just finished going through my clothes closet and I have a huge lawn & garden leaf bag to give away!!!

@trooworld LOL I had to laugh at the PJ workout remark. I am so glad you post your recipes. Helps me get ideas. Congrats on the loss, you are doing great!

@its_cleo It's so good to hear laughter in your post!!!! Yea Dec is a big or was a big month in our family.

@theslightedgeforever I am glad you have found something to know that you know you are getting this down this time. It makes me happy....besides, I can steal your ideas...LOL

Cbabie
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    @cbabie that does look tempting! Tell yourself it's for the kids. Yeah thank you I am feeling good again.

@RetiredAndLovingIt I eat the oats cold, though you could warm them up if you want.

@theslightedgeforever Thanksgiving- I think it's the same as US- the settlers came from England/Europe. The only difference is here they still wanted to be part of the Commonwealth....thus the Queen is still our head of state, but it's just a formality. She has no power.

We also don't make a big deal about Plymouth rock. Like when I watch TV they show kods doing Thanksgiving plays about the pilgrims? We don't really do that.

@TeresaW1020 yeah dogs love snow. And it's nice for kids. I don't mind it except I can't exercise outside as much. I don't ski or anything.

@trooworld I might watch them over xmas lol. It's the only time I have to watch movies really.
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    Hi all
    Just a quick note tonight.
    I'm kind of struggling to get my head in right place to stay focused. I'm tracking but need to be more accurate. I also need less sugar- so I'm trying to plan a little different.
    Looks like quite a few on organisation tasks at home. We start next weekend as kitchen prep starts a week today!
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,196 Member
    @renaegry I have premium and I answered you on the comments where you posted on Home. I mentioned I like it because I have different calorie goals for different days. Higher on Thursdays and Saturdays when I'm more social. Plus I like seeing my carbs listed in order of highest to lowest so I can be aware of what foods I need to be careful with. You can do that for any nutrient or macro. Like if someone had high blood pressure, they could track all the sodium items in one place. It's just a time saver I think. Plus you can change your dashboard to show the things you care about tracking the most. Hmmm. I don't have anything by my bell. Maybe I don't have that turned on in my settings.

@teresaw1020 I too struggle with that start/finish thing. I'm getting better but.....still needs work. I guess cause I'm busy chasing the next shiny object.

@trooworld Even with spur of the moment occurrences you can plan for them. By that I mean think of a situation that might occur. You know what kind of things in your life has thrown you off of your plan. Visits to the family, dh not wanting to help with meal prep, going out with friends. These are just some of the things I know you mentioned. Why not have a contingency plan in place for these situations. The thing is do they happen often enough to hinder your weight loss or are they just a one off. If they hinder you, time to tweak the plan to include them. Set a slightly higher carb goal just for those days/situations.

@retiredandlovingit I have a corner of my office that needs sorting. Been there a LONG time. It's much smaller now. I hope to get it done before I die. I noticed the snow. My son has to drive from Johnston to Grinnell every day. It worries me in the winter.

November goals: continue following carb cycling program each day, strength training 2 times a week. 4.5 glasses of water.

• theslightedgeforever
    @cbabie turn it upside down as a reminder that you will gain 2 lbs if you eat it. You can't steal what I give away for free. :P Besides February was the best month in our family.

@its_cleo You eat the oats cold? :imagine my face: lol That's interesting. Thanks for the Canadian history lesson. I never thought of the settlers going to Canada. Who were the indigineous people? Indians well Native Americans? (can't keep up with all the word changes)

@joannadavison You know I'm not an all or nothing person. But baby steps. So could you incrementally lower your sugar intake? Of course tracking is the most important part. Otherwise how will you know how much you've eaten? So how about for rest of November track every bite, lick, taste that goes into your mouth. Also just eat half of anything sweet that you were going to. Instant reduction on sugar grams and calories that way. Bonus: You get to enjoy the little part you had. I've learned to take smaller bites on things like that. I enjoyed a couple of Milky Way minis today. In actuality, I can pop the whole thing in my mouth and swallow and not even really taste it, it's so small. But I deliberately have been making each one last about 5-6 tiny bites and enjoying the flavor and texture to make it last longer. Very satisfying. I can't imagine life without chocolate.

@trishastime If you're lurking, we miss you.

Yellow day- Stayed OP. Went to a friend's house for brunch. She's struggling with controlling her diabetes so this was the first time that we got together and didn't have sweets or desserts. I said don't make any on my account. I can get mine at home. I walked 23 min in the morning and then later realized it was my rest day. Oh well. Better for my body.

November goals: continue following carb cycling program each day, strength training 2 times a week. 4.5 glasses of water.
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,782 Member
    Good morning gals! Yesterday seemed like a long day and I was so tired. I had a work function and there were cupcakes from a bakery that won some baking show on Food Network, but I didn't have any, I just had unsweetened iced tea and watched as my coworkers ate the cupcakes. Luckily, they all said the cupcakes weren't very good. My weight is up still from the mac and cheese and steak, or possibly the poke bowl I had the other night. I'm so mad. It's amazing how slowly I lose weight but how quickly I gain it back. :(

@renaegry That's interesting, it may be worth trying then.

@RetiredAndLovingIt Just start on those rooms, you'll feel better! Just set a timer and do an hour at a time. :)

@cbabie Sorry you have been having a tough time. Yikes to the candy corn! LOL yeah it just wouldn't be comfortable in those PJs ;) . I'm glad it helps someone to post the recipes, I'll keep doing it. Thanks for your support.

@its_cleo That's interesting about Thanksgiving for you. Is it called Thanksgiving, too? Christmas time and horror movies, perfect time lol.

@joannadavison What kind of plan are you trying?

@theslightedgeforever Here's a for instance: The other day, neither of us felt like cooking and so we ordered poke bowls to be delivered. That was safe, but it could have been disastrous. How would I have handled that? Adjust my carb goal for the day?

EMPOWERED.
    November goals: track 5 days a week, drink 50 oz of liquids a day, ride the stationary bike 5 minutes a day 3 times a week, lose 2 lb
  • theslightedgeforever
    c1gyjra5a5kd.jpeg
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld Looks like just you and I. Maybe you are holding onto a bit of sodium bloat. I've been staying within my guidelines each day and I'm up a lb. I'm say oh well. Moving on and keeping to my habits. I'm also about 6 days late on my period so hopefully it's just that.
    So situation is that you don't want to cook:

possible solutions: Keep items in the house that is easy to prepare or grab. yogurt, scramble up some eggs, (I know you said you don't want to cook but really it's 5 min or less) pepperoni slices, almonds, cheese cubes.
    Low carb frozen meal in the freezer
    Order keto-friendly take-out
    Prep all your meals for the week so they are ready to eat
    Allow yourself X amount of carbs weekly as a bonus like WW does. On WW, we had our daily smartpoints and then we had weeklies that we could tap into if we needed them. Most of the time we can choose not to need them.
    If you lived by yourself this would be an easier choice but you have an accomplice in helping you deviate from the plan. So in your mind you could be practicing your response to his conversation: Honey, I don't feel like cooking tonight. Let's order out tonight. I think X sounds good. What's the proper response to that. It depends on how much you want to lose weight. You could say, yes I'm tired but I really want to stick to my plan so tonight I'm going to go scramble me up a couple of eggs and add a bit on the side. I'll feel better later cause I stayed in control. I'll be so happy when I step on the scale and see it move downward. OR you could say, Yes I'm tired too. Let's order poke bowls. He says oh honey, I don't feel like eating poke bowls today. let's order pizza. You say, but it's not on my program, you know that. He says, just this one time isn't going to hurt and tomorrow you can go back on your plan. Come on. So pizza is ordered and you eat one slice. That was really good so you eat one more. I think it's more important to plan the pizza than giving in. Because then you stay in control. Look how good you are doing at the office now. Eventually it will spill over to your home life.

I stayed OP today. I walked for 58 minutes. It has begun. I got an invitation to a Christmas party. I can see alot of food related events happening in the next 6 weeks.

• TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    @cbabie, Yikes Candy Corn is like crack for me!! I would have to get rid of that or it would be in my belly!! What are you going to do with it? Want my address? Kidding!!! :D:D

@theslightedgeforever, I bet you didn’t even miss the sweets or desserts when you saw your friend. I love brunch!! <3 Hubby and I did brunch on our weekend trip and I had the chicken and waffles. Big mistake because that was wayyyy more carbs than I could handle. I am still waiting for my mind to catch up to what my body can and cannot handle. :/

@trooword, great job at staying away from those cupcakes!! I am so proud of you! Theslightedgeforever gave you some great tips! I really like the idea of giving a bonus weekly carbs to use or not use. I just might have to give that a try! She is totally right that it’s better to plan than give in to food. Wayyyy less guilt. ;)

Good grief its 23 degrees and only going up to 45 degrees today! :o Hubby wants us to go get our flu shot and I need to return an item to Hobby Lobby but I don’t know if I want to do all that now that the Arctic has come to Georgia! Yesterday, I did my first day of 80 Day Obsession and it went great. I did have to modify some of the exercises to fit into what I’m capable of doing but I did the full hour and this morning my body isn’t screaming in pain. Today, it’s an hour of working out the booty. I might be screaming tomorrow. :#
  • trooworld
    Good morning gals! My, I have a headache and am tired but I'll live lol.

@theslightedgeforever I guess so! I like the graphic. Yes, or carb bloat. Hopefully, the next time I get on the scale it will go away. Thanks for the ideas. They are all good. I think I need to really concentrate on making sure meals are done ahead of time, and maybe having some snacks on hand to make meals out of (I hate eggs, so that's out for dinner...I tolerate them for breakfast sometimes if there is a lot of cheese in them lol). I also think I will have a pool of "Weekly Carb Points" that I can dive into for emergencies. I'll have to think about how many. What a nice walk you had. Are you going to go to the Christmas party?

@TeresaW1020 Thank you so much! She did, I like that idea, too and I am going to use it. I just need to decide how many "Weekly Carb Points" to have. I'm thinking maybe 25? 35? Oh dear, that is cold!!! Great job getting 'er done with the 80 Day Obsession!!! :D

EMPOWERED.
    November goals: track 5 days a week, drink 50 oz of liquids a day, ride the stationary bike 5 minutes a day 3 times a week, lose 2 lb
  • cbabie
    Morning gals! I am on a spiral downward....hoping to catch myself today. I find I am eating more carbs than I want because I too give in to my family. Like last night, my DH cooked steak on the grill for him and my DGS...then I made baked potatoes and carrots...know what I got to eat? Baked Potato...then I filled up on PB...so I too have to get my house in order...

I have to go get ready for Bible Study group....so no time for personals..just know I am proud of each one of you and your choices and support in this group.

Cbabie
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Hi all,
    @cbabie Hope you are doing better today. Sometimes it takes awhile. We have been back from dd's for a week & I am just starting to regain control, lol. The steak sounded good, and the baked potato, too, but I don't watch my carbs that much. You can do this!

@theslightedgeforever I love the graphic, now to remember it! You are always so helpful & full of advice. I now we parents worry about our kids, but I am sure your ds takes I-80 to Grinnell & it is usually pretty good in winter.

@TeresaW1020 Our low yesterday was around 0 & high was about 20! So you are having a heat wave! Seriously, our dd has been south for 12 yrs (first Alpharetta & now Tulsa), and she does not appreciate the cold either. I think the worst about both is that you can get so much ice instead of snow. I hate trying to drive on ice..I just can't do it. Not a big fan of snow either, it can wait until Dec 24 & be gone by Valentines, and hopefully I have had a short reprieve somewhere warm in between, lol. Yes, get your flu shot! I have had it some years despite the shot & it is not fun!

@trooworld You are doing so great on the treats at work, soon it will spill over to home, too. I need to be better when Dh suggests something to eat that is more calories than I have left. It can be so hard, because it sounds so good. One thing that maybe helps is if I go ahead & have it, I enjoy it & don't feel guilty, & try to get back to my plan as soon as possible. I don't think feeling guilty helps at all, sometimes it makes me eat more.

Not much planned for today, already did my 30 minutes on the treadmill & may do more later.
    Forgot to write down by November goals, but they are walk, drink water.
  • theslightedgeforever
    @teresaw1020 We could split the candy corn so we'd be helping out each other. lol So when you say waiting on the mind to catch up with the body, is that weight gain or carb symptoms or what? Yaaay on completing Day 1 of the Obsession.

@trooworld Yes I decided to go to the party. I go to bookclub every month. I can miss one. Weekly carbs: Just start somewhere and then tweak as necessary. The trick is to be satisfied cause you stayed within your "boundaries" and still lose weight. You know me, I'm still trying to eat as much as I can get away with and still lose weight. My rate of weight loss has slowed so I've been cutting calories by 50 each week on one day a week to see if that gets things moving. One week I tried increasing burned calories by 25. I'll figure it out eventually.

@cbabie You can still lose weight on baked potatoes. I once knew someone who lost weight eating kettle corn and WW fudge bars. Is your carb goal too low? Being successful everyday keeps you motivated to continue each day. We are proud of you for hanging in there when the going gets tough.

@retiredandlovingit Yes he takes the highway. He says I'm fine mom. I keep telling him to move to Grinnell so he doesn't have such a long commute everyday. He says no. :smiley: in my Diet Traps book, I've been reading about giving in to family pressure on food. This is the escape plan. Identify a future situation in which a food pusher trap might arise. Record your sabotaging thoughts. Write a compelling response to each sabotaging thought. Develop a list of strategies. Review and revise your escape plan often. There's a part in the book where the author says that we really want the food so we don't fight the food pusher very hard. The most important part is having a response ready. Visualizing how you will answer in that situation. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But keep your goal in mind. Which muscle do you want to make stronger? The giving in muscle or the resistance muscle.I'll be doing a lot of this before and during that party. Yaaay on getting on the treadmill.

I stayed OP today. Green day. Actually I was very low in carbs. Just a bit above a red day. That's how I know I'm changing because I didn't go all out and eat every last carb I could have just because I can. I had a salad tonight while the family had spaghetti. That's a shocker. I've planned the spaghetti for tomorrow lunch. I went to walking club and did 41 minutes and then did 38 min walking earlier.

• trooworld
    Good morning gals! I don't know what is getting into me, but yesterday, I totally refused to eat my breakfast (which was a frittata with bacon, cheese, and spinach that I made). I had it two other days this week, so that may be why. Or because I hate eggs. So I went to the cafe at work and made the best decision I could: I got a yogurt parfait (low-fat vanilla yogurt, berries, and granola). But that yogurt was sweetened. :( So, after work, I bought some unsweetened plain Greek yogurt and berries for my breakfast for the rest of the week. But I may have to just not eat breakfast again if I can't find something that I WILL eat. :( I can't be running to that cafe!

@cbabie I am finding myself craving carbs, too. I don't know if it is the season or stress or what? I hope we both catch ourselves.

@RetiredAndLovingIt Thank you for your support! <3 I do hope so. It's hard when the DH's suggest something else, I have the same problem. You are right, feeling guilty makes me eat more. Great job on the treadmill!

@theslightedgeforever I'm going to start with 25 Weekly Carb Points and see how that works. You will figure it out, I know you will. So will I. :D Spaghetti is my favorite/one of my favorite foods. I'm impressed you resisted.

EMPOWERED.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    @theslightedgeforever, good idea on saving cbabie from all that candy corn!! :D I think it’s both the weight gain and the carb symptoms that I mean when I say that I’m waiting for my mind to catch up to my body. It’s like a switch that I’ll call “I know better” gets turned off and then it gets turned back on and I’m left with the consequences. Icky feelings in my body and usually weight gain. How to keep the switch from getting turned off is the question? Since I know that I’m going to want to indulge, I wonder if I should focus more on Keto indulgences that will keep me from the stuff I shouldn’t be eating. I’ve steered clear of Keto treats but maybe that is the wrong way to think about it and maybe I should use some extra weekly carbs as a reward for sticking to my plan the rest of the time. Sheesh, I’m rambling but you have this way of making me think. ;)

@trooworld, yeah you have had this issue with breakfast, and you don’t want to fast breakfast as I do, right? What about drinking Keto coffee? Do you drink coffee? If so then you could get one of those frothers (I want one bad!) and add in some heavy cream and MCT oil, which is super filling. Also, there NO reason you need breakfast foods for breakfast. Leftover Fathead pizza microwaves beautiful and would make a tasty breakfast! :)

@RetiredAndLovingIt, yes, I know that the cold doesn’t compare to where you are living. I’ve lived in Indiana and Oklahoma and wouldn’t want to be back there for anything! :D

@cbabie, girl pull yourself back up!! I believe in you and know that you are stronger than you think. <3

Good morning! Yesterday, I did day 2 of 80 Day Obsession which focused on the booty and this morning my butt muscles are crying! I will probably take today off because hubby and I are going to get our flu shots after work and then while we're out I want to go to TJ Maxx and look for a charcuterie board for my Christmas party this year. They are all the rage and I can make it super Keto and still satisfy my guest. Then I have to go to Hobby Lobby and return a cookie jar that has a big chip out of it that I didn’t notice when I bought it. Weigh-in is tomorrow so today's plan is to eat Keto and keep it simple! :)
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,253 Member
    Hi all. Terribly sore today. Had a tmj massage then went for chiro. Been doing good. Terribly busy. Can’t wait for next week. Weight jumped up a bit this week. But that’s okay. I feel like I’m eating better. Got my head in the game since WW started new program. Now just have to find the time to workout. Lol
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Hi, just got the rest of my steps in for the day & leaving soon for gdaughter’s concert.

@theslightedgeforever Thanks for all the tips. Will try to remember them! I like Grinnell, but from what I’ve seen, not sure there is much “night life” for a young person, lol.

@TeresaW1020 Sorry, didn’t mean to make it a weather competition. Think I am just frustrated that winter is starting so early! But I don’t do well with heat & humidity, either. Sweat too much, lol. I need somewhere that stays about 70 all the time, I think. What is a charcuterie board?

Trying to kinda do IF. Well, eating in approximately 8 hr window by not eating after about 6pm. Think I have acid reflux which flares my asthma, so hoping not eating at night will help.
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld So if you hate eggs, why are you making yourself frittata. I was just curious. I like eggs but it depends on the way they are served. I won't touch a veggie omelette but love a cheese omelette. Who says it has to be breakfast foods? find something you like to eat. How about a cheesy cauliflower bowl. I'm finding that yummy for breakfast and I never could have predicted that. I only resisted the spaghetti because I needed to weigh in the following day. So I ate it for lunch.

@teresaw1020 I know all too well about the infamous switch. I've had one for years. Although I will say that since I started carb cycling it has been in the on position. I've tried visualizing a big lightswitch and manually flipping it on. That didn't work. I think following the Beck program about self-talk has helped me tremendously. It's just a matter of reinforcing and practicing the skills I've learned. Not just learning them and not doing them and later I try something new. I'm famous for chasing the shiny new toy. I'm glad I'm getting you to think. That's how we solve problems. Troubleshooting. What's your motivation for choosing the keto plan? Okay explain charcuterie board.

@renaegry Which WW color did you choose? That's great that you are eating better. That's a good goal for all of us. Enjoy life and eat better.

@retiredandlovingit I tell my son he doesn't need a nightlife as all he does when he comes home is sit and play computer games with his friends from high school. He can do that in Grinnell. lol He's probably worried the internet would be slow there. Yes, 70 degree year round temperature would be the perfect weather. Lots of fluffy clouds in blue skies. How was the concert? Since I have lost some weight, I'm not as bothered by the acid reflux which led to coughing. I don't have asthma but I have reactive airway disease. Two triggers are exercise and cold weather. But it's been alot better the past few years. So I hope the not eating after 6 will help you. I have been doing IF two days a week but this week didn't get it done because of appointments for my mil. So I'll be back at it again next week. Being a bit hungry never killed anyone.

Green day-I stayed OP with my carbs but forgot to track my 2 pieces of toast w/butter. I preplan my meals in the morning and usually don't have to go back in and track anything new because I just follow the plan. But for some reason I decided butter and bread would be a good thing to go with my spaghetti. Even better slightly toasted. When I realized it, I had already eaten dinner. I could have reduced my portions at dinner. But I still stayed within my carbs boundaries which is the most important thing and was over calories about 80 something. Oh well. We'll try again tomorrow. Exercise was rest day. Really need to work on the water. Cool weather does not make me want to drink pure water. I'll get there.

I lost 0.4 lbs this week. Told you it was going slow but the train is still moving. I haven't stopped or went in reverse for a while now. I keep tweaking.

• trooworld
    Dear ladies: it seems I'm also getting fussy about meat. This is not good when you are on keto. :( The texture and taste of meat is kind of creeping me out. I hope I can get over it. Ugh! Right now, I'm just going to eat a little meat and see if I can focus on the veggies and healthy fats.

@TeresaW1020 I am playing with the idea of trying to fast breakfast again. I tried it for like 3-4 months and I could never get over the hunger, but I may start slowly and ease into it (last time, I just jumped in). Yeah, I could eat some non-breakfast foods for breakfast, but now I'm having issues with all foods (see above). :( Maybe I'll do one of those coffees you suggest. Can you have one of those during a fast? Charcuterie boards...I love making those! I usually get my ingredients at my local international store, but I've heard you can get stuff at TJ's for a fabulous one. Good luck at weigh-in!

@renaegry WTG with the better eating!

@theslightedgeforever I made the frittata because I get sick of yogurt and berries. :D I am so ridiculous lol. I am so picky/have all of these rules: I can't have breakfast things more than 4-5 days in a row or I get sick of them. I hate eggs. Sometimes I can tolerate them if they have cheese in them, but then sometimes I can't. About the only other thing I can have on keto breakfast food-wise is yogurt and berries. I guess I could make some soup to have but then I'll get sick of it faster because I know it's not breakfast food (my brain will know). I think I'm going to just not eat breakfast anymore. I give up! I am still trying to up my water, too. Congrats on the loss!!!

EMPOWERED.
  • cbabie
    Morning all, I haven't walked, gone to the park...just living live in limbo it seems. I am trying to stay on top of my eating, but I think my emotions have control...so this too soon will pass...

@trooworld veggies don't feel me up, I have to have my protein...maybe protein bars, shakes, something with low carb?

@theslightedgeforever it is what it is...

@TeresaW1020 I just love Hobby Lobby...I used to call it Holly Hobby...always thinking of the doll that was such a hit when my girls were little..LOL . I am trying to find my way...just seen too many depressing things in families this past 2 weeks...I will get there.

@RetiredAndLovingIt I should watch my carbs more than I do....I think I know what is causing my heartburn..carbs..I haven't had it in years...so watching have toooooooo...

Cbabie