Looking for mature aged women having challenges with weight loss during pre-menopause.

I’m older and my metabolism seems like it’s at a halt. I have a diet plan I’m going to use and now just looking for support wi Th women facing the same challenges I am.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    I’m 61 and post menopause. I’m using mfp the way it was intended and am very happy with my weight loss so far. I’m halfway to my goal.

I eat a pescatarian diet, which is plant based with seafood, eggs and some dairy. I eat the foods I love so I don’t feel deprived.

Fill out your profile. Choose a reasonable weight loss rate per week. Let mfp assign your calorie allowance, stay in a calorie deficit and lose weight.

What diet plan are you considering?
  • 1derland0815
    1derland0815 Posts: 6 Member
    I’ve been following a keto type lifestyle geared around eating no processed foods. I try to keep them as raw as possible. I eat lean meats with many veggies and select berries.
  • kamilpcook
    kamilpcook Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, I also am experiencing the negative creep of menopause as well. I’m 52 and gained 25 pounds over 3 and a half years due to sedentary stressful job and associated poor eating habits. I have lost about 20 pounds over 18 months (20 to go) with partially using MFP and other apps to keep track of portions, meal quality and daily calorie goals. I am an avid exerciser and have found increasing strength workouts (body weight and actual weights) help me maintain weight loss better than just cardio.

I also have found that a higher protein lower sugar/carb diet works well to alleviate the symptoms of menopause (anxiety, sleeplessness, fatigue, weight gain to name a few). It’s just fun all the time!!
  • scaredofscale
    scaredofscale Posts: 24 Member
    I had a hysterectomy at 39 and I am now 50, so technically no menopause, but I seem to be having symptoms regardless. Caffeine and sugar are no longer my friends and I am allergic to dairy. Because of the dairy allergy, getting enough protein and calcium is a challenge. Strength exercises definitely help a LOT with knee pain.
  • 1derland0815
    1derland0815 Posts: 6 Member
    So far I’m seeing a lot of similarities in our overall health plans...I tried eating higher fat intake but it doesn’t seem to agree with my stomach. What type of diet is everyone following? What protein, carb and fat percentages is everyone following?
  • jidebb
    jidebb Posts: 2 Member
    Hi...I’m 53 and in full blown menopause...I couldn’t lose weight no matter how many days I hit the gym and tried intermittent fasting, keto, starvation, super hydration etc...I signed up for Optavia and started eating every 5 fuelings and 1 lean and green meal per day and lost 23 pounds in 4 months!! I go to the gym 3-4 days per week and do strength training with weights to build lean muscle and kick menopause right in the you know where!!! Now I’m starting to speed walk after weights for 30 minutes...I have my blood work done 3 times a year and am currently taking thyroid medicine and hormone replacement therapy too...testosterone and estradiol creams...they aren’t for everyone but are the way for me!! Hope everyone is having great success in all that you do...Debbie Boor
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    I'm 54. I just count calories - make sure my fibre is ok - otherwise I eat a reasonably healthy diet and exercise regularly (I walk a fair amount and weight train a couple of times a week). That's it. The calorie content of what you are eating is more important (for weight loss/gain) than the macronutrients.
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    I thinnkkk I'm post menopausal now? I still get the occasional hot flash but no other symptoms. I've been up and down the scale the same 20-23 pounds ever since I was in high school in the 1980s! So for me, I get and stay motivated while losing weight, but staying there is the problem.

I joined MFP relatively recently, when I was already less than 10 pounds from the usual goal weight - I'm two pounds shy of that now, but, I think this is fine and I'm considering it maintenance. Joined now because? This is where I screw up, historically. What's new is MFP -- hoping for accountability beyond my friend group and family/husband, who are all way too nice to give me a kick in the behind when I need it!

All this to say -- I'll "friend request" you. Hopefully we can be accountable to each other.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I am doing keto-ish to control my migraines, but leaning as far toward LCHF as I can while still controlling the migraines. I also calorie/carb cycle leangains style. My diary is open, so you are welcome to look at the specifics, the "rest day offset" is just a fake amount to track the low intake days for the cycle.

I'm not gaining weight so much as just getting a belly, like the fat is redistributing without my consent!!!!

Trying to lose a few pounds this month, but it does seem to be way harder than it used to be. I remember when I could lose 5 lbs in a month and it was relatively easy, now it's so hard and such a struggle to lose even 2-3 lbs, plus it bounces back on in a blink for no reason.

Peri-menopause, I'm not a fan.
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    edited November 2019
    I am SO not a fan, either, @tcunbeliever -- what a betrayal! What happened to my waistline for crying out loud. This reallocation of funds is met with voter disapproval. :D
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    When the menopause 10 became the menopause 20, I had to do something about it. I think once menopause is over, your hormones regulate and weight loss is easier - not that it's ever easy, mind you.

I think I started gaining around 48 years old and was able to lose at 54.

• tcunbeliever
    I realized today that I haven't had a hot flash all week, and my usual water weight yo-yo isn't happening this week either...maybe things are leveling out a bit...finally!!!

I'll take it, even if it's only a week!
  • Chris_J99
    Chris_J99 Posts: 175 Member
    Reading these posts is like looking in a mirror! I am 50 and am peri menopausal (probably). Doc won’t confirm until I have been period free for a year... hot flushes (as they are lovingly referred to in the UK) seem to have paused.... have got steadily heavier over the past few years and now is the time for action! My diary is open so you are welcome to have a look. I am counting calories and try and eat lots of fruit veggies and salad. Today though has not been so good 😋. We can do this!!! 😁💪🏼
  • sunrise725
    sunrise725 Posts: 1 Member
    I've been tracking using MFP again since I started a keto-ish diet earlier (April) this year. I am T2 diabetic. :(
    Initially lost 4 lbs, then stalled. I think I've been eating too much, which is why I started tracking again. But after about a month of tracking, I am still stalled, so I am beginning to wonder if the keto lifestyle has something to do with it. I exercise at least 5/week with aerobics and weights 2x/week. I do acknowledge it's a very tough time of year to be trying to lose weight, so if i can maintain or lose just a couple, I'd consider it a win.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I am doing keto-ish to control my migraines, but leaning as far toward LCHF as I can while still controlling the migraines. I also calorie/carb cycle leangains style. My diary is open, so you are welcome to look at the specifics, the "rest day offset" is just a fake amount to track the low intake days for the cycle.

I'm not gaining weight so much as just getting a belly, like the fat is redistributing without my consent!!!!

Trying to lose a few pounds this month, but it does seem to be way harder than it used to be. I remember when I could lose 5 lbs in a month and it was relatively easy, now it's so hard and such a struggle to lose even 2-3 lbs, plus it bounces back on in a blink for no reason.

Peri-menopause, I'm not a fan.
    I am SO not a fan, either, @tcunbeliever -- what a betrayal! What happened to my waistline for crying out loud. This reallocation of funds is met with voter disapproval. :D

((Hugs)) I am starting to experience this redistribution myself and I don't like it! However, everything I've read said this is what happens to ladies at our age. The fat storage pattern actually does redistribute to around the waist. I need to get back on HRT. I think that might help with that.
  • aacczz
    aacczz Posts: 1 Member
    Hello all! Well, I am 67 and have multiple chronic health problems like CFS/ME and Fibromyalgia that are pretty well controlled. These illness started in my mid 50s. Anyway, I need to lose weight and have lost 14 pounds over the last few years. I am frustrated by all the articles and posts about exercise and yoga that show women in their 30s at the oldest. My joints won’t do most exercises shown and if I did do them, I would probably hurt myself. I have no replaced joints as yet.

Anyway, I tried Weight Watchers and felt awful. It was due to all the sugar in the free fruit. I came back to Fitness Pal and have lost 7 lbs in the last 4 weeks. I never eat desserts or any kind of sugar except maybe at a birthday party. I have learned to just say no. Nor do I use any kind of artificial sweeteners. I strive to eat 55 grams of protein which is recommended for my conditions. I limit my fruit. If I eat fat, I try to keep it healthy like avocados etc. Zero trans fats. Limited saturated fat. Other fats okay. Carbs okay if I follow my plan calorie wise. Eggs, fish, tofu and limited meat, chicken and pork are my friends.....hormone and antibiotic free of course. Women need to realize how much our bodies change after the age of 50. We are not 30 or 40 anymore. You need to do what makes your body feel better. And please, don’t put your body through those yoga poses I often see. Your hips will hurt like crazy later on. At my age, muscle strengthening seems to be more important than flexibility. I swim, walk, do arm, leg and core strengthening, plus modified pushups off a wall or table. We are all different but this is what works for me. Blessings, ladies!
  • tcunbeliever
    My goal for November is to lose 2 lbs...December 3 lbs...I feel like it will be a christmas miracle if I can manage that, and it's such a slow rate of loss...
  • MSWarrior7088
    MSWarrior7088 Posts: 167 Member
    Hi
    I'm 49 and have MS....trying to manage my symptoms through diet and exercise...I'm looking for some friends for my journey!
  • tcunbeliever
    This week is going pretty good...I feel like I might finally be gaining some control over the hunger monster.
  • Pamstimelines
    Pamstimelines Posts: 79 Member
    I can't seem to drop the lbs. I'm 49 and in the thick of it. I'm counting calories, increasing fiber and potassium and avoiding highly processed. I strive for 80/20 on point, so 80% healthy, 20% grace for when I'm not so healthy.

I am looking to add friends for encouragement and support. 🙂