Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is this fat shaming?

NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
The Russian airline Aeroflot has stripped a passenger of his air miles after he boasted online of sneaking his overweight cat onboard by switching him for a slimmer cat during check-in.

Mikhail Galin wrote in a Facebook post last week that his cat Viktor was judged too fat to be taken into the passenger cabin during a layover in Moscow on a trip from Latvia to his home in Vladivostok, in the far east of Russia.

“The weigh-in showed that the animal had fattened up to 10kg, a level not allowed for the cabin,” Galin wrote. The cabin limit is 8kg.

Galin could not abandon his feline friend to the cold luggage hold, so he refused to fly and said he took a “strategic decision to find a similar cat of a lower weight” in Moscow.

The next day, Galin returned to the airport with Viktor, the cat double and its owners, and successfully checked into business class after “the operation to switch Viktor the fat cat for Phoebe the miniature kitty was successful”.

He posted a photo of Viktor sitting on the plane with a glass of bubbly, becoming an instant hit with Russia’s cat lovers.

Aeroflot, however, was in no mood for jokes and told AFP the incident had triggered an investigation.

The investigation into the cat-swap revealed that Galin broke airline rules by switching Viktor for a similar animal weighing 7kg, which was confirmed on video surveillance footage, the airline said.

“Aeroflot has taken the decision to take this passenger out of its frequent flyer programme. All of the miles collected during his time in the programme will be annulled.” Galin had nearly 400,000 miles on his account, according to reports.

The decison angered many Russians, with some saying it amounted to fat-shaming and others attempting to start a flashmob in protest.

“Offending a kitty! Nobody will forgive this,” wrote Bozhena Rynska. Other owners of large pets feared that Galin’s disclosures could prompt the airline to tighten restrictions, making the trick impossible to repeat.

“Many of us often quietly flew around with our fat kitties, and now we won’t be able to,” Svetlana Pogorelskaya said on Facebook.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/12/aeroflot-fails-to-see-the-funny-side-after-passengers-fat-cat-swap

Replies

• sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    He should have flown an airline that didn't have that rule, or ask if he could buy a second seat for his furry friend.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited November 2019
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I sense a spinoff - CFP - Cat Fitness Pal

let me know when it comes out - I've got one that seriously needs to lose weight (doesn't help that she's one of 5, and the other 4 are fine and I work all day and must leave the food out since 3 of the 5 are browsers.....) lol
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    edited November 2019
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I sense a spinoff - CFP - Cat Fitness Pal

That whole idea is how the *kitten* swear filter came to be.

Go to "search" - enter "cat" into the title field, enter "within 3 days of April 1, 2013" in the date field and observe the shenanigans.

oh lordie, and please don't start bumping them...at least wait till April 1.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    OMG! That’s freaking hilarious!!! 😂
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I would assume the weight limit, and the weighing of the cat is to control the balance of the airplane and overall total weight of the plane.

That kind of matters when you are going to be flying.

He could have paid for a seat for his cat instead of using deception or putting it in the cargo area.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Considering how dangerous it is to entrust airlines with pets, I don’t blame him for breaking the rules in the slightest. He was a fool to post about it, however, and deserved to lose his miles as a result. There’s no valid reason for the weight limit - presumably it was created to prevent people from bringing other types of pet, such as large dogs aboard. A fat cat is not a large dog.

Or maybe if one worrirs about airline conditions for pets they don't travel with them instead of claimimg snowflake sratus and thinking he is above the rules.

Why would someone take a cat on vacation? If you are moving, take them in a carrier. Oh boy, someone is going to be triggered @Theoldguy1 🤣
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Sounds like the owner is an entitled little *kitten* who feels the rules don't apply to him and people are trying to justify his behavior by pulling the political correctness card. The airline apparently has a weight limit for animals in the cabin, it's not checking the bodyfat % of the animal.

I really hope this pun was intended!