Vegan and protein

Options
I just started the began diet because my bf wanted to give it a try, so I thought why not? Any groceries I should get, and also what are good protein replacements? Thanks.

Replies

• flotek72
    flotek72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Negan diet. It consists only of pork. :D

tumblr_ogfu8xd4DE1sraveeo1_400.gif
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    flotek72 wrote: »
    I'm on the Negan diet. It consists only of pork. :D

tumblr_ogfu8xd4DE1sraveeo1_400.gif

My gut reaction was that "began" was "vegan+bacon". I'm a horrible person.

But I'm not a big meat eater, so when I need more protein I usually go for lentils and tofu. When I'm lazy I'll get soy protein meat. I do eat some animal products though so it's not as hard.
  • VictoriaTuel
    VictoriaTuel Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    I think of everything in a protein to calorie ratio and make decisions based on that. There's a lot of vegetables that are really high in protein that often get overlooked in a standard diet, so there's tons of options! Here are a few of my staples off the top of my head:

Whole foods: Mushrooms, broccoli, dark leafy greens, asparagus, zucchini, cauliflower, edamame, beans

Processed foods: soy yogurt, Boca burgers, tofu, tempeh, soya pieces, tofurkey deli slices, lightlife veggie hot dogs, powdered peanut butter
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Ari693 wrote: »
    I just started the began diet because my bf wanted to give it a try, so I thought why not? Any groceries I should get, and also what are good protein replacements? Thanks.

If your bf happened to be inspired to eat plant-based after watching "The Game Changers" you may wish to read our thread on that: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10770007/anyone-watch-the-game-changers-documentary/p1

I'm all for less consumption of animals for ethical and environmental considerations, and it will be an easier way of eating to adopt if you firmly believe in that, rather than some unscientific health claims.