Can’t gain weight - help please

Hi everyone.
I’ve been hitting the weights at the gym for about 6 months now. Lots of protein in my new diet, but was still losing weight.
Hence I started using the app.
I’ve been adding my meals accurately, understanding the balance better and then adding in my active calories burnt (recorded on my Apple Watch).

Since using this app I feel like I have been eating constantly, even when I am not hungry but I never hit my calorie goal and the prediction I get after completing my diary says that I’m due to lose half a stone in the next 5 weeks!

My question is to do with how I manage these extra active calories. The app says that I have only completed a hundred or so. My Apple Watch tells me I have done 5 times that amount (the equivalent of another whole meal that I just can’t bear to eat) - and that’s in a day that I don’t work out. Am I doing the right thing by adding in the difference or should I just leave it alone.

Thanks for any advice...

Replies

• giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Can we get more information please? What is your current weight, how many calories are you eating a day, and what kind of training are you doing?
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    You never hit your calorie goal? Peanut butter, oils. Calorie dense foods. Donuts. Whatever it takes
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Can you tolerate whole milk?
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    If you are really constantly eating then you must surely be eating low calorie foods if you are losing weight. So perhaps it is what you are eating rather than the quantity that you need to think about.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    jdog022 wrote: »
    You never hit your calorie goal? Peanut butter, oils. Calorie dense foods. Donuts. Whatever it takes

This. Eat full fat meats and use full fat dairy. Put oil, cheese, and nuts on your salad. Snack on nuts and avocados. Cook using oil. Stop filling up on low calorie foods such as vegetables. Do the opposite of what people do to lose weight. Also, are you really getting plenty of protein? Or just the recommended daily allowance, which is a bare minimum, not what you need to bulk up.
  • Look at the threads at the top of this forum. Theres tons of good tips.
  • petertrimmings
    petertrimmings Posts: 7 Member
    Can we get more information please? What is your current weight, how many calories are you eating a day, and what kind of training are you doing?
    Of course...
    I’m 10st7. My calorie goal is 2400 and I average 2600. I’m ending up short because I’m biting 890+ active calories a day just through being active before exercise.
    I get to the gym 3 or 4 times a week.
    I use to do half hour in rowing machine or exercise bike, but I’ve cut that now. I usually spend half hour to an 45 mins doing core training and then the same again benches and dumbbells. I’m pretty new to it (6months on the weights) but have got good advice on technique.
    Tanks for your time.

• petertrimmings
    Thanks to everyone for the tips.
    I’ve always eaten pretty well and just been trying to increase the frequency and portion sizes. I’m guessing I just have to eat junk?
    Currently stuffing myself with eggs, chicken, nuts and avacados! Not too bad - can handle that, but not keen on the idea of too much fat. When I check the ratios on the app I’m 50 carbs 30 protein and 20 fat.

• petertrimmings
    Oh and I forgot the whey protein smoothies too.
  • petertrimmings
    wiigelec wrote: »
    Can you tolerate whole milk?
    I’ve only ever had whole milk but just for breakfast with cereal. Is it worth a few more glasses a day.

• petertrimmings
    jdog022 wrote: »

This. Eat full fat meats and use full fat dairy. Put oil, cheese, and nuts on your salad. Snack on nuts and avocados. Cook using oil. Stop filling up on low calorie foods such as vegetables. Do the opposite of what people do to lose weight. Also, are you really getting plenty of protein? Or just the recommended daily allowance, which is a bare minimum, not what you need to bulk up.

I’ve just checked - getting about 140g protein a day (for my 67kg body should be right?)
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Is it worth a few more glasses a day.
    yes

• meanplucker
    meanplucker Posts: 8 Member
    Once you’ve determined your correct maintenance weight then make sure you’re consuming at least 500 calories a day more in surplus’ consistently EVERY day. If it doesn’t put on 1-2 poinds in the first week then increase 100 more calories a day for a week, and so on until you start seeing 1-2 pounds a week. Cleaner calories are better but dont worry at first about macro balance, just aim for at least 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Basically, eat all the things a health nut would tell you not to if you have to until you’re used to balancing healthier intake. Eat as many small portion meals and snacks as you can and Stay away from processed food as its harder to digest. Use high protein whey protein and Boost shakes to Supplement on days your not making your protein goal. Aim for high carbs on active days and dont worry fat. dont listen to an app telling you what your goals should be as they are incorrect. Just use it to track intake and balance.
  • petertrimmings
    Once you’ve determined your correct maintenance weight then make sure you’re consuming at least 500 calories a day more in surplus’ consistently EVERY day. If it doesn’t put on 1-2 poinds in the first week then increase 100 more calories a day for a week, and so on until you start seeing 1-2 pounds a week. Cleaner calories are better but dont worry at first about macro balance, just aim for at least 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Basically, eat all the things a health nut would tell you not to if you have to until you’re used to balancing healthier intake. Eat as many small portion meals and snacks as you can and Stay away from processed food as its harder to digest. Use high protein whey protein and Boost shakes to Supplement on days your not making your protein goal. Aim for high carbs on active days and dont worry fat. dont listen to an app telling you what your goals should be as they are incorrect. Just use it to track intake and balance.

Thanks - that’s really helpful. I’ve been trying to avoid carbs but it makes sense on active days. What are the boost shakes you mentioned?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    See this thread for food and tips
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

Definitely do not avoid carbs when bulking, they are not only helpful and can be less filling but they can also help with workout performance and muscle gain.

I used to make high calorie smoothies with protein, chocolate milk, Greek yogurt, peanut butter, banana, berries etc.

You want to include nutrient dense foods of course but nothing wrong with treats to fill in the gaps and hit your calories.
  • meanplucker
    You can get boost brand shakes in 8packs at most retail food chains. 360 calories and 14g protein. The high protein shakes have fewer calories but 20g of protein. They are small servings and go down easy with a small meal. Strawberry is my fav.

Small snacks in between, baby bell cheese wheels, peanut butter, cottage cheese,

For carbs snack on fruit. Prepare cooked rice, pasta and mashed potatoes.

Red meat gets a bad name but is huge protein.

Boiled eggs ate quick in the morning with two slices of whole wheat bread and three table spoons of peanut butter.

All the whole fat dairy you can digest.

Drink lots of water to aid in digestion.
  • meanplucker
    Anyone who disagrees with what I posted either doesnt know what they are talking about or never loaded 4k a day onto a small frame. This guy isnt 200 trying to bulk to 225. If you’re ecto build like me when I started then the advice I gave is spot on and you’ll gain fast if your complimenting it with the right workout routine.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Carbs before and after a workout increase your insulin response, which is actually what you want if you’re trying to build muscle.