Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is this fat shaming?

2»

Replies

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    He was just dumb about the whole thing. If really wanted to boast about it, common sense would be after the fact. Like once back home. I read the story and laughed about it, and I am a crazy cat lady with 4 cats, and would never put them on a plane period.
    I understand people not wanting to put pets in cargo, but in that case find someone where you live to take care of your animal while you are gone. And the whole thing with all the dogs and other animals in planes these days that are not service dogs but the so called emotional dogs. Stuff like this bound to happen, sure it will not be the last time.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Sounds like the owner is an entitled little *kitten* who feels the rules don't apply to him and people are trying to justify his behavior by pulling the political correctness card. The airline apparently has a weight limit for animals in the cabin, it's not checking the bodyfat % of the animal.

I really hope this pun was intended!

Wow that turned out fantastic. Can't say it was intended though. I actually mentioned the female version of another 4 legged animal commonly considered a pet. MFP apparently didn't like that though.

I would totally have a beer with you bubba! Lol
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Considering how dangerous it is to entrust airlines with pets, I don’t blame him for breaking the rules in the slightest. He was a fool to post about it, however, and deserved to lose his miles as a result. There’s no valid reason for the weight limit - presumably it was created to prevent people from bringing other types of pet, such as large dogs aboard. A fat cat is not a large dog.

Or maybe if one worrirs about airline conditions for pets they don't travel with them instead of claimimg snowflake sratus and thinking he is above the rules.

I think I love you! 💕😘
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    That's hilarious, I saw this on facebook just a little while ago. I'm sad for him for losing so many airline miles, but damn, how stupid can you be for posting about it online??
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    The real takeaway here is not to let your airline miles accumulate!

And, I'm voting not fat shaming.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Sounds like Russian Garfield is a fraudster.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited November 2019
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Sounds like Russian Garfield is a fraudster.

Da comrade. I hate ze mondays! Lol
  • sarabear500
    sarabear500 Posts: 10 Member
    Ummmm this is an interesting story. Airlines should be more worried about passenger safety. Not fat cats. Especially after all the in air incidents involving violent behavior from humans.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I hope prone understand I posted this tongue in cheek. It's not too be taken seriously.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    That's hilarious, I saw this on facebook just a little while ago. I'm sad for him for losing so many airline miles, but damn, how stupid can you be for posting about it online??

Yep, I think anyone dumb enough to post about stuff that can get them on trouble on social media deserve that trouble.
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    I’m confused- what did he do with the extra cat?

It seems like he was just trying to get past a silly airline rule- how much could that cat actually weighed? Let’s say the cat is 10lbs overweight- what’s the difference between bringing the cat vs. weighing an extra 10lbs himself? There are all kinds of silly rules around pets, and this guy loved his cat and wanted to bring the cat with him.

Now, where he went wrong was being dumb enough to publicly flaunt it..
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    fitpal4242 wrote: »

That was my first thought too! Since only one person and cat could go through security how did they exchange cats again??
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    fitpal4242 wrote: »

That was my first thought too! Since only one person and cat could go through security how did they exchange cats again??

I think the weighing is done at the ticketing counter, not at security. One cat got weighed twice, or a cat that wasnt going to fly got weighed in place of one that was.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,129 Member
    Shhhhhh. You'll ruin it for everyone.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I sense a spinoff - CFP - Cat Fitness Pal

let me know when it comes out - I've got one that seriously needs to lose weight (doesn't help that she's one of 5, and the other 4 are fine and I work all day and must leave the food out since 3 of the 5 are browsers.....) lol

Here is one option - but with 5 cats, it's gonna get expensive...
    https://www.chewy.com/surefeed-microchip-small-dog-cat/dp/157145?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=SureFeed&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9dDwBRC9ARIsABbedBNxfVLPu2WKppXFVJozSy0SnLy3Octs0lK8xhITQxGgq3FvVdkEWDYaAgSiEALw_wcB