Struggling to get enough protein

I don't really like meat or fish or beans and I can only stand so much chicken so I am struggling to get enough protein. I think it may be a texture thing. I do have a protein shake each morning, but am trying to do low carb so I only want to do 1 per day. Any suggestions for how I can get more protein into my diet would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    how about low carb yogurts- like the two good yogurt or kroger has a carb master brand yogurt thats good.
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    janetek2 wrote: »
    I don't really like meat or fish or beans and I can only stand so much chicken so I am struggling to get enough protein. I think it may be a texture thing. I do have a protein shake each morning, but am trying to do low carb so I only want to do 1 per day. Any suggestions for how I can get more protein into my diet would be greatly appreciated!

If it’s a texture issue, you can try throwing the cooked meat in a mini chopper with some hot water or broth and blend it to more of a ground meat texture. I had to do this last year when I was recovering from surgery and it made meats a lot more tender and helped bring out the flavour (I was addicted to ginger beef this way for about three months).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,847 Member
    edited November 2019
    Different cooking methods will produce different textures, so experiment. Also different cuts of meat. For example, a grilled ribeye steak has a very different texture than chuck which was pot-roasted or cooked in a crock pot. My OH finds grilled skirt steak too chewy but he loves my beef stew made from chuck.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,847 Member
    janetek2 wrote: »

If it’s a texture issue, you can try throwing the cooked meat in a mini chopper with some hot water or broth and blend it to more of a ground meat texture. I had to do this last year when I was recovering from surgery and it made meats a lot more tender and helped bring out the flavour (I was addicted to ginger beef this way for about three months).

@unstableunicorn I'd love your ginger beef recipe!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Dairy (yogurt, cottage cheese, milk) and eggs.
  • There are several protein rich vegetables peas, spinach, kale, broccoli, etc. You can try to substitute some other vegetables for these on a daily basis.