I am addicted

2»

Replies

• steeleme7
    steeleme7 Posts: 28 Member
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    It is odd for me. I can go many days without eating cookies, cakes or candy. But once I do eat one it's, "Katy bar the door!!!" I'm shoving every form of sweets I can get my hands on into my mouth. So it's best for me not to start or to only eat it when only small portions are available. Dunno if that counts as addiction, or if it's just a "trigger" food.

Yes you're like me . My heart goes out to you and I will pray 🙏 for you also. Talking about it does help in holding your self accountable. You can beat it I believe in you
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    It is odd for me. I can go many days without eating cookies, cakes or candy. But once I do eat one it's, "Katy bar the door!!!" I'm shoving every form of sweets I can get my hands on into my mouth. So it's best for me not to start or to only eat it when only small portions are available. Dunno if that counts as addiction, or if it's just a "trigger" food.

This me exactly. If I don't eat any, I'm completely fine. Once I have one piece or one bite of sweets....it's over. All or nothing.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    AmyG1982 wrote: »
    I realized I had a problem with sugar (and junk in general) when I smuggled a full box of cookies up to my bathroom when my husband wasn’t around and ate the whole box in the bath that night and hid the garbage in my laundry hamper... and then did it again 3 days later. (Total addict behaviour). I gave up all added sugar and definitely felt the withdrawals for a few days (headaches, cranky, a little jittery). I do much better on a low carb lifestyle, if I have too many carbs it’ll trigger the cravings again :(

See, I don't understand how people can "disagree" that this is how she feels, and how SHE chose to deal with it?

There's no facts to disagree with - she's relaying a personal experience.

I know! As soon as you say anything other than “CICO” people on here get defensive. I get disagreed with any time I say anything about sugar or low carb (and I’m pretty careful about the way I phrase things to make it clear that it’s how I feel and what has worked for me)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I realized I had a problem with sugar (and junk in general) when I smuggled a full box of cookies up to my bathroom when my husband wasn’t around and ate the whole box in the bath that night and hid the garbage in my laundry hamper... and then did it again 3 days later. (Total addict behaviour). I gave up all added sugar and definitely felt the withdrawals for a few days (headaches, cranky, a little jittery). I do much better on a low carb lifestyle, if I have too many carbs it’ll trigger the cravings again :(

See, I don't understand how people can "disagree" that this is how she feels, and how SHE chose to deal with it?

There's no facts to disagree with - she's relaying a personal experience.

I know! As soon as you say anything other than “CICO” people on here get defensive. I get disagreed with any time I say anything about sugar or low carb (and I’m pretty careful about the way I phrase things to make it clear that it’s how I feel and what has worked for me)

Not from me.
  • steeleme7

I have honestly done thing like that 😂 Lol but I just recognize and know that I can be stronger. It helps knowing that I am not alone. Thank you so much.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    steeleme7 wrote: »

I have honestly done thing like that 😂 Lol but I just recognize and know that I can be stronger. It helps knowing that I am not alone. Thank you so much.

OMG glad it’s not just me lol. I was soooo ashamed with myself
  • steeleme7

*Raises hand* Yup, I use to hide food wrappers any where that I could. If I ran out to get food for myself and husband I would order more food for myself that I could eat in the car on the way home and then hide the evidence. Then I would eat the rest of it at home to make it look like I didn't eat that much. I'm very glad that behavior is far far far behind me!

We don't really realize what we are doing because it becomes like an adrenaline rush. You fooled them but our hips don't lie🤪
  • steeleme7

Learning to be positive about your self is key not just a cliche.
    Some people dislike me because I'm so happy.I can be skinny or fat and be happy. I'm doing this for my health. God bless you and be with you each step of the way 🙏❤️
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member

Learning to be positive about your self is key not just a cliche.
    Some people dislike me because I'm so happy.I can be skinny or fat and be happy. I'm doing this for my health. God bless you and be with you each step of the way 🙏❤️

You are so right about being positive and loving yourself. I doubt that people dislike you. They may be jealous. They may be intimidated. That's their issue, not yours.

Changing eating habits isn't easy but it CAN be done. It takes patience and consistency and no one is perfect so just aim for doing your best at any given moment.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    You don't realize how addicted you are to sugar. Help 🤪

I went cold turkey with my sister for 6 weeks with refined sugar. So that’s stuff like chocolates, cakes, pastries and biscuits etc. It was the best thing ever. Hunger levels went down and I was so satisfied with my food. Then during the holidays we agreed to go on a break and consume it in moderation and let me tell you: my teeth are still hurting! Couldn’t wait to cut that stuff out again. My advice is to go cold turkey for a few weeks then slowly add it back in to see how your body responds.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Reading this post was like checking off boxes. Guilty, guilty. Yes, when I think of sugar I match it up with its best friends of fat, and flour in some combination. or at least fat and some other dairy.
    And I was totally off the walls bad. Could not seem to control myself even though I knew it was in my best interests to do so. I fall in the all or none category.
    And oh the stories of hidden food, wrappers and so on. Eating the frozen yogurt, so had to go buy more, and eat some of that so it would be about the same amount left as before I started. Insane 10X over.

So to break the cycle, and get my health as a priority I went low carb. And took large steps away from white sugar, flour, pasta etc. As a type 2 Diabetic I have the blood numbers to back up how huge of a difference it has made.

I also learned how to bake with alternate flours like almond and coconut, use alternate substitue sugars. So if they decide they are bad for us, I will be in the first wave impacted. This way I can take care of cookie, muffin cravings just not often. But it keeps me away from the other stuff that got me in trouble. And I totally get it that this might not work for lots of people.

I think everyone to a degree has to find their own way for what works best for them. To curb cravings for whatever food that may trigger them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    A few things.

For one, I found that increasing my whole-fruit consumption helped reduce my cravings for less nutrient-dense but more calorie-dense foods like candy, cookies, pastry, etc. This doesn't work for everyone, but I've read others here saying the same, so it may be worth trying.

Second, self-definition is a powerful thing. Absolutist black & white thoughts about self that are like "I always . . ." or "I can't . . ." can become self-fulfilling prophecies. (OP, you haven't said these exact words, but others have/do, and "addicted" is a similarly strong/absolute concept.)

Sometimes, part of the path to change is figuring out how to say "So far, I haven't learned how to . . ." in place of "I can't . . .". Yeah, I know that's all kind of squishy and woo-woo, but I think there's some truth there. Our self-definition needs to incorporate the very real possibility of change, to recognize the cases where we sometimes do something different from what "I always do" and study those cases for clues about our best personal approach to change.

Third, there's a lot of discussion here about addiction to carbs or sugar (which is commonly mentioned on MFP) . . . followed by specific mention of foods that are commonly rich combinations of carbs/sugar plus fats, often much of the calorie load coming from fats. I'm talking about things like cookies, chocolates, potato chips, etc.

These are foods that hit the buttons natural selection installed over millennia of food shortages in the past, and now those reactions don't serve us well in a time of relative food excess. Veggies and fruits have carbs, and sugars, as do whole grains. Fruits are mostly simple carbs. White bread and white rice are mostly complex carbs (yeah, that's not what most people think, but it's true).

There are people who will binge on sugar straight out of the sugar bowl, or hard candies, things that really are "sugar" mostly . . . but for most of us, it's more common to have trouble with classic treat foods that are fat/sugar combos, not very filling (so easy to overeat), not very nutritious, and high in calories.

It's super important to identify our own individual trigger foods, and those foods that we personally can't moderate effectively right now. If we're thinking "addicted to carbs" when the problem is really (maybe, for example) "will eat all the oreos or potato chips if I have them in the house" . . . that's not necessarily the most helpful, productive way of assessing the situation.

Best wishes for much success!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    A few things.

For one, I found that increasing my whole-fruit consumption helped reduce my cravings for less nutrient-dense but more calorie-dense foods like candy, cookies, pastry, etc. This doesn't work for everyone, but I've read others here saying the same, so it may be worth trying.

Second, self-definition is a powerful thing. Absolutist black & white thoughts about self that are like "I always . . ." or "I can't . . ." can become self-fulfilling prophecies. (OP, you haven't said these exact words, but others have/do, and "addicted" is a similarly strong/absolute concept.)

Sometimes, part of the path to change is figuring out how to say "So far, I haven't learned how to . . ." in place of "I can't . . .". Yeah, I know that's all kind of squishy and woo-woo, but I think there's some truth there. Our self-definition needs to incorporate the very real possibility of change, to recognize the cases where we sometimes do something different from what "I always do" and study those cases for clues about our best personal approach to change.

Third, there's a lot of discussion here about addiction to carbs or sugar (which is commonly mentioned on MFP) . . . followed by specific mention of foods that are commonly rich combinations of carbs/sugar plus fats, often much of the calorie load coming from fats. I'm talking about things like cookies, chocolates, potato chips, etc.

These are foods that hit the buttons natural selection installed over millennia of food shortages in the past, and now those reactions don't serve us well in a time of relative food excess. Veggies and fruits have carbs, and sugars, as do whole grains. Fruits are mostly simple carbs. White bread and white rice are mostly complex carbs (yeah, that's not what most people think, but it's true).

There are people who will binge on sugar straight out of the sugar bowl, or hard candies, things that really are "sugar" mostly . . . but for most of us, it's more common to have trouble with classic treat foods that are fat/sugar combos, not very filling (so easy to overeat), not very nutritious, and high in calories.

It's super important to identify our own individual trigger foods, and those foods that we personally can't moderate effectively right now. If we're thinking "addicted to carbs" when the problem is really (maybe, for example) "will eat all the oreos or potato chips if I have them in the house" . . . that's not necessarily the most helpful, productive way of assessing the situation.

Best wishes for much success!

Yeah! I didn't have to bite the "lure" today! My favorite fit granny did it for me. Love ya hun!
  • steeleme7
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    You don't realize how addicted you are to sugar. Help 🤪

I went cold turkey with my sister for 6 weeks with refined sugar. So that’s stuff like chocolates, cakes, pastries and biscuits etc. It was the best thing ever. Hunger levels went down and I was so satisfied with my food. Then during the holidays we agreed to go on a break and consume it in moderation and let me tell you: my teeth are still hurting! Couldn’t wait to cut that stuff out again. My advice is to go cold turkey for a few weeks then slowly add it back in to see how your body responds.

I really think I need to go cold turkey because I do have a problem. After all alcoholics can't stop drinking unless they stop drinking. I need to learn to say no when people offer me sweets. Living in the south is not easy.