Why do you want to lose weight??

potatoebake
potatoebake Posts: 1 Member
edited November 2019 in Motivation and Support
It was a stupid reason but my grandmother hasn't been the nicest regarding my weight, despite that I'm average. She's made stupid comments like "you know life would be easier if you were skinnier" and "I wouldve given you a bigger price of carrot but you shouldn't be eating at all", so I'm gonna loose weight and potentially gain muscle.

But yeahhhhhh.. very petty

Replies

• mrsjar5311
    mrsjar5311 Posts: 514 Member
    edited November 2019
    Cos I'm fat and it's impacting my health - simple reason. There's a whole load of other reasons but this is the main one
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited November 2019
    My reason was because I'm getting older and just cannot, should not be eating all the crap I was eating regularly, BIG junk food junkie here. :( My body didn't feel good, my blood pressure was rising, couldn't even climb stairs without huffing and puffing. But stress caused me to eat and my job was very stressful. I retired and said ok, it's time to finally figure this out, time to take care of me. And I am. :)

And it really makes me sad to hear what your grandmother says to you. Insensitive and not helpful at all. :(
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Your grandmother sounds horrible!

My primary motivation for losing weight is that my husband and I are planning to try for a baby next year. I don’t want my weight to cause fertility issues and I want to go into pregnancy as healthy as possible.

Also, vanity reasons 😄
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    It was a stupid reason but my grandmother hasn't been the nicest regarding my weight, despite that I'm average. She's made stupid comments like "you know life would be easier if you were skinnier" and "I wouldve given you a bigger price of carrot but you shouldn't be eating at all", so I'm gonna loose weight and potentially gain muscle.

But yeahhhhhh.. very petty

Are you sure you want to diet? It sounds to me like you might be more interested in recomposition (if anything).

As to your grandmother, I want to infer things (like, she loves you and wants the best for you but is out of touch with the how beauty is defined in 2019, and has no clue how to lose weight in a healthy fashion (hint: "not eating at all" is not a good plan)), but as long as you recognize that they're NOT wise comments, and therefore should absolutely not be the impetus for weight loss. If YOU want to lose weight, that's one thing (although you describe yourself as "average" rather than "overweight"). But because grandma made some "stupid comments"? Nah.
  • epangili
    epangili Posts: 818 Member
    edited November 2019
    I started my serious weight loss journey April 2019 because my older brother 5 years older than me lost his eyesight due to unmanaged diabetes. He regained it after surgery but a long road of disability and recovery. Shortly after my older sister was diagnosed with fatty liver and an autoimmune disease related to it. These two events made me realize that I need to lose for the sake of my own health. On the Asian American bmi chart, I was obese but overweight in American bmi chart in April 2019. Now in November 2019, I am overweight in Asian American BMI chart and normal in American bmi chart. I still have 12 more pounds to go, according to the doctor.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    edited November 2019
    Because at 220 I was fat, the worst part over the last six years I've abused my body even more, I'm now 236 I'm very fat, hate the look, I sweat, I'm out of breath, I can't even manage my shoe laces properly.

Why do I abuse myself?
    Why do I sabotage any weight loss?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,093 Member
    edited November 2019
    I didn't like the way I looked.
    I didn't like having to shop for oversized clothes instead of being able to shop in regular stores.
    I didn't like not being able to go hiking 'properly' (painful feet, out of breath uphill).
    I didn't like my gut being in the way of putting my shoes on.
    I didn't like the prejudice associated with being overweight: people assuming I don't like vegetables or healthy food, people assuming I am lazy and don't exercise.
    I'm pretty sure my weight was a negative factor when I was looking for a better job, even for a desk job.
  • helen_goldthorpe
    helen_goldthorpe Posts: 340 Member
    To get faster. I lost 100lb a decade or so ago, and then let my weight settle where it wanted - still exercising and eating better but not being too precise. That ended up being about 25lb over my lowest weight but I still feel relatively healthy/comfortable. I've subsequently got into cycling and realised that the extra weight slows me down, particularly on hills, so I'm trying to drop down again. Maybe not all the way, but lighter than I am now.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    #1 reason, for my health. I gained 100 lbs and my health was at absolute worst. At age 54, I couldn't afford to keep going down this path. From April of this year to now, I turned it all around and have dropped 83 lbs so far and reversed all the bad numbers on my labs.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    I refuse to buy larger jeans, so I haven't worn jeans since 2014.
  • ezzycool
    ezzycool Posts: 1 Member
    honestly i want to lose weight to be able to look at the scale and not see a number that defined me as just on average.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Number one reason Health far and away. I am a type 2 diabetic for 20 years. My labs mostly look great. But the dirty secret is once you get Kidney Disease as a result of Diabetes there is no going back to normal. All you can do, is get with the program, and work to keep it from getting any worse. So now I exercise for an hour 6 days a week, eat Low carb to keep my blood sugars in line. Have lost 75 lbs, and going for the other 57 to get to healthy weight zone.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    Maintaining now. Weight loss saved my life. Weight loss is liberation.