Elbow Pain

A good friend of mine is having issues where their elbow is hurting them. They had an Xray and nothing seems broken or sprained. Has anyone ever had this happen before? Any tips or advice?

Replies

• habitualman
    habitualman Posts: 2 Member
    Mine is messed up right now. It’s most likely something along the lines of tennis elbow which is just an overuse injury. Tendons get inflamed or forearm muscles can be strained and produce elbow pain. Mine is from lifting. Currently on week 2 of cardio only while I heal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    jadu1536 wrote: »
    A good friend of mine is having issues where their elbow is hurting them. They had an Xray and nothing seems broken or sprained. Has anyone ever had this happen before? Any tips or advice?

Did your friend's doctor do a physical exam and mention golfer's or tennis elbow? This won't show up on an xray.

https://www.summitortho.com/services/elbow/lateral-and-medial-epicondylitis/
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    edited November 2019
    I currently have a tear in one of the tendons in my elbow. It's extremely painful! It didn't show in x-rays, so I had an MRI. Have your friend see a sports medicine doctor.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    The cause are varied but elbow pain is a very cooking problem because the elbow is a very complex and weak joint.

Common "solutions" for addressing minor elbow pain, include but are not limited to "RICE," elbow sleeves, wraps, forearm bands, Tylenol or Ibuprofen and cortisone shots.

I have a degenerative condition due to age, arthritis and injury in my rt elbow which is more severe.

I began experiencing acute pain in my rt elbow after doing my normal pullups and pushups routine starting about 2cyrs ago. Had 2 rounds of cortisone shots to relieve the pain, which reoccurred after trying to do pullups and pushups again.

I do not experience any pain in my elbow doing otherwise normal activities

Had a procedure called "fenestration" done recently on the medical tendon of my rt elbow to promote rehealing of the tenfon in hope that it will help me to pushups and pullups w/o pain again.

Won't know for at least 6 mo if it worked. If not, I'll get a cortisone shot for the recurrent pain and will be forced to never attempt a pushups or pullups again.

Getting old s*cks!

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    I've had tennis elbow twice and it takes ages to go away. The first time I simply didn't do anything that actually made it hurt. It went away in about 8 weeks, but came back because I am trying to achieve an unassisted pull up and I over-worked it. Or did too much too soon, or something. The second time I saw a physio. She advised me to continue with the practice of not doing anything that actually made it hurt. She also gave me several exercises to do and recommended I wear an elbow support to see if that helped. It took 4 months to go away this time. I was diligent with the exercises and still do them. I also still wear the elbow support when doing full body weight eccentric pull ups because that still sometimes hurts a tiny bit if I don't.