Intermittent Fasting (16:8) for Weightloss?

Has anybody here tried to do the 16:8 Intermittent Fasting with successful results?

I just can't seem to commit to anything these days like I have in the past and to me it seems like I could possibly do this since I tend not to eat an actual meal in the mornings and just snack on stuff. I feel like it would give me a cut off time in the evenings so I won't stuff my face grazing. I would fast from 8pm-12pm and have healthier meals/snacks from 12pm-7:59pm.

I would of course also do some kind of exercise. I am unable to exercise now due to a terrible cold/cough that I have but once that's over I plan to incorporate some kind of workout.

TIA! :)

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    deniseg31 wrote: »
    Has anybody here tried to do the 16:8 Intermittent Fasting with successful results?

I just can't seem to commit to anything these days like I have in the past and to me it seems like I could possibly do this since I tend not to eat an actual meal in the mornings and just snack on stuff. I feel like it would give me a cut off time in the evenings so I won't stuff my face grazing. I would fast from 8pm-12pm and have healthier meals/snacks from 12pm-7:59pm.

I would of course also do some kind of exercise. I am unable to exercise now due to a terrible cold/cough that I have but once that's over I plan to incorporate some kind of workout.

Some people will have positive results, some people will find it too hard to do, some people will gain weight.

It is worth a try for you to do if you find it easier to commit to this than other things but you may still need to practice portion control.

Are you having trouble committing because you are trying to eat "healthier"? Losing weight is healthy all by itself. If eating "healthier" is getting in the way of your progress it is not actually healthier. Just eat less of whatever you normally eat. Only avoid things you have trouble moderating or things that do not keep your hunger satisfied enough for the calories.

Eventually you may need to work on balancing your nutrition better but you can do that with small changes over time.

• iheartmyyorkie
    iheartmyyorkie Posts: 163 Member
    Successful results would come from eating less calories than you need. What do you think would happen if you stopped eating at 8:01pm instead of 7:59pm ? Do you think your fast would be ruined? It's all just about calories in/calories out, dear.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member

Like others have said, give it a try, but be honest. Any snacks you have regardless of the time of day need to be accounted for.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    If grazing is the primary reason you tend to eat too many calories, IF may help you stay in a caloric deficit. However, it’s also possible to eat a huge amount of calories at a single meal. If someone ate out for lunch and dinner every day at a typical large portion, high fat American restaurant, it would be super easy to consume huge amounts of calories within the window you described. Just remember that eating at a deficit is what makes the difference. How you do that is up to you.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I personally love IF. It helps me stay in my calories which is huge but it’s not for everyone. Some people will eat more after being hungry all morning.

There are some studies that suggest IF might help you burn more fat or have other benefits, I don’t know if any of that is true... there are also some studies that suggest IF can be dangerous for women because our bodies are more reactive to “starvation”. A lot of things recommend working up to it slowly for women, especially if you start feeling negative effects from not eating.

I’d say if you’re going to try you might want to work up to it and then give it a few weeks for your body to adjust to see if you like it as there will likely be an adjustment period (the first week I was starving all morning but now I don’t really get hungry till lunch time).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

IF isn't some kind of magic. It ultimately comes down to calories. I did 16-8 IF (ie skipping breakfast) from May through September. I did it primarily because we built a pool and I knew there would be a lot more hanging out by the pool and eating/drinking after work, etc over the season. I figured IF could help me at least keep things from getting out of control...it worked pretty well, I only gained 5 Lbs over those 5 months.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    I count all of my calories religiously so I can't say that eating in a 16/8 hour window helped me lose weight. (I did lose weight, but I was already losing even when not eating in a 16/8 window.) It did help me gain a bit of self control and now I'm able to fast for much longer windows and not only has a lot of my general hunger gone away but I have also become comfortable with the feeling of being hungry. I actually feel physically better when I'm fasting than when I'm eating. My husband who doesn't count calories was successful at losing about 20lbs by simply going from an open eating window to a 16/8 window. He isn't really overweight but he has a belly that won't go away (but he's always had this even when young) His weight has stalled but his goal was to just get rid of the baby weight he gained after we had kids, which he's reached.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I have never been a great breakfast eater. Also work wise - by the time we sat down to eat something it was nearly lunch time. I am now 600 days with MFP (lost 44 kg) and have my first meal at around lunch time, sometimes a small snack in the afternoon and my main meal at around 6 to 7 p.m. Some call it IF, for me it just seems to be meal times I best function with. I also believe that weight loss means simply CICO and not what time of the day I eat.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I did 16:8 at maintenance but found it needlessly restrictive.
    Mostly I don't eat breakfast though, just don't like arbitrary rules.

Currently I'm losing some weight eating 3 meals a day (plus snacks) as I need breakfast to protect my stomach from some pretty harsh medication.

If 16:8 (or any other eating schedule) helps you to adhere to your overall eating goals then it's a good plan for you. Personally see no reason not to at least experiement with it. Even if you simply just take away a abit of self knowledge about your eating habits that alone can be a benefit.
  • Whydahdad71
    Whydahdad71 Posts: 316 Member
    I have used the intermittent fasting protocols and lost about 35 pounds. I enjoy the 16/8 best.
  • mrsjar5311
    mrsjar5311 Posts: 514 Member
    I've lost 21kg on IF but by deliberately creating a deficit.

I grew up fasting - thanks religion so it was pretty easy for me to start and stick to it. Once I hit my target weight and have the surgery I need, I won't continue with it in the current format I'm doing though as it's pretty restrictive and not very conducive to family meals together - at the moment I only have dinner with the children and I'd pretty much prefer to have all meals with them. Otherwise they start saying things like, I want only tea (the drink) for breakfast as they will very much copy their dad and me
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member

I've done IF several times and found it helpful -- in fact, I've gone back to it now. I've used the 16:8 schedule and delayed breakfast until noon. It was hard the first few days, but I got used to it. I do allow myself all the zero calorie drinks I want, like water and black coffee.

The main benefits: keeping to the 8 hour window reduced my appetite and eliminated a lot of snacking. I didn't feel the urge to eat giant meals during the window, in fact, the opposite.

I say try it and see what happens.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    I am doing 5:2 where I keep to 500 calories on a fast day and eat 'normally' the other days (generally around 1600 -1800 calories). I am averaging a loss of 2 pounds a week and have stuck to it for 18 weeks so far without a hitch.

This is working for me I think because 'diets' in the past have always lead to binging as I am never totally satisfied but with this I am 2 days out of 3.

And that is the only real trick - finding what works for you.
  • smmcglone
    smmcglone Posts: 3 Member