If you haven’t tried savory oatmeal, DO IT.

2»

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Hmmm, after watching a couple videos and checking a bunch of recipes, I might just see if I can throw some savory oatmeal concoction together for breakfast tomorrow. Thanks for sharing! Fried onions, spinach and an egg, maybe a little shredded cheese....sounds like a plan to me. :) It'll cut down on my sugar(always have fruit in my morning bowl) and up my protein, which I have a hard time reaching most days.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited November 2019
    My take on this
    I made oatmeal with spinach, onions, 2 egg whites and about 1 T. of shredded cheddar cheese, nothing else. I was going to make 1 whole egg instead but am not crazy about the whole runny yolk thing. But on a whole, it's not bad, scale of 1-10 about a 5.5. :) And I'll definitely be trying different versions to take it out of the bland level.
    On the upside less calories and sugar, more protein than my usual oatmeal breakfast.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    I think I should get back into making savory oats again. My favorite is oats with hot sauce, sour cream and turkey bacon.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    rhaiin wrote: »
    I think I should get back into making savory oats again. My favorite is oats with hot sauce, sour cream and turkey bacon.

I make something very similar, steel cut oats, green onion, bacon bits, havarti cheese and sriracha sauce. Yum!

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I actually made a steel cut oatmeal risotto...... pretty kitten good...
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I actually made a steel cut oatmeal risotto...... pretty kitten good...

Can you post recipe?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    In my family anything that can be cooked or served with rice, can be cooked or served with oats.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    In my family anything that can be cooked or served with rice, can be cooked or served with oats.

pretty much this, though, I suggest steel cut because it behaves more like rice.
  • Darren225g
    Darren225g Posts: 214 Member
    edited November 2019
    I eat oatmeal with chicken breast and dress it up with some spices. Everyone around me is grossed out by it, but it tastes good to me.
  • beulah81
    beulah81 Posts: 168 Member
    Yesterday afternoon I was craving something salty, warm and creamy. We were at my MIL's house. I microwaved quick oats and topped them with a drizzle of soy sauce and a laughing cow creamy Swiss scattered over the top. If I had fresh cilantro or flat leaf parsley at that moment I would have added a sprinkle of that. It hit the spot. When at home, for a quick meal, I often add "shredded" canned chicken breast to my oats.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Great ideas, thanks for sharing! I brought two big boxes of oats last year from Costco but I now have low carb breakfasts so I haven't really used much of it. I will definitely be giving this a go
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member

Agreed. Curry is really good when served over oatmeal.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »

pretty much this, though, I suggest steel cut because it behaves more like rice.

Oh, yes, I agree. We generally only eat steel cut.
  • PrismaticPhoenix
    PrismaticPhoenix Posts: 65 Member
    I'm going to try to bring myself to try savory oatmeal even though it goes against everything my brain says oatmeal should be. I'm trying to eat more vegetables and this would be a good way to do it if I liked it.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,533 Member
    This idea fascinates me, I'll have to try it at least once. I love oatmeal with apples, cinnamon, and maple syrup or almond milk so it would definitely be a change!
  • Your post piqued my interest so I tried it this morning. I went easy on ingredients because I was still trying to wrap my head around savory oatmeal and was about half way through the bowl when I realized hey, this is actually good. My brain was just stuck in the oatmeal must be sweet mindset.

I made steel cut oats added some cheese, Applegate chicken and maple sausage, a cooked egg and a little sea salt and pepper. A whopping 28 grams of protein, which is a lot more than my usual Greek yogurt breakfast...very filling. Now that I've tried it, I'm going to experiment with different ingredients.

Thanks for the post. I've never heard of this until now and expect it to become a staple in my diet. 🙂
  • Tried another combo tonight. Steel cut oats, extra lean hamburger, green beans, a bit of havarti cheese, and a dash of garlic salt and some pepper all mixed together. A--mazing! Reminds me of tater tot casserole, which I love. This post has opened a whole new world for me, lol.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »
    I haven't tried to make it myself but I ordered it twice at a fancy restaurant where they cooked it with cod, drizzled with basil oil and garnished with deep fried cod skin. Don't know how they got the texture to be similar to risotto.

I suspect you could get that risotto like texture if you used steel cut oats.

Once I ate steel cut oats, the flaked stuff seems like paste. For sure, steel cut would give a risotto texture and I like this idea