CO2 Meat??

I don't know if it's a debate or not, but find this fascinating. They are now taking CO2 and, with the help of microorganisms, creating protein as a byproduct -- accomplishing two things -- finding a use for CO2 and providing protein with a more sustainable footprint.

I'd try it if you don't have to add so many things to it that it's no longer healthy. I would imagine it might have more application as a replacement to whey protein or similar.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Bay-Area-companies-are-making-protein-out-of-thin-14827156.php

Replies

• MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    We could push policies to reduce population, all the (real) meat and sustainable too.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    MPDean wrote: »
    We could push policies to reduce population, all the (real) meat and sustainable too.

Pushing policies is not the answer. China is a good example of a policy to control population gone terribly wrong.
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    Great, no one will suggest I should eat less meat then.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited December 2019
    I don't know if it's a debate or not, but find this fascinating. They are now taking CO2 and, with the help of microorganisms, creating protein as a byproduct -- accomplishing two things -- finding a use for CO2 and providing protein with a more sustainable footprint.

I'd try it if you don't have to add so many things to it that it's no longer healthy. I would imagine it might have more application as a replacement to whey protein or similar.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Bay-Area-companies-are-making-protein-out-of-thin-14827156.php

Uh, microorganisms that convert CO2 into proteins? So...basically just phytoplankton or algae then.

Keep in mind that meat is protein but not all protein is meat. Your hair is protein for example.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited December 2019
    I'm not sure if this the same thing, and I don't pretend to actually know what I'm talking about, but I watched a netflix documentary the other day and it mentioned making chicken nuggets in a lab with chicken DNA or something. (Lol)

I am meaning to reduce my meat consumption because of the environmental impact but my husband eats a LOT of meat. He's not down for meatless dinners, but I guess I can just cut out meat from my other meals.