Just left the 200s

Hi, I just left the 200s. Its been a struggle for over 15 years... But for some reason its this year that I'm seeing a real change.

I've been working on it one habit at a time very actively for the last 6 years... I've changed a lot, from breaking food addictions to living a more active life... But come January one I always seem to have to start at square one again. This year I'm determined to start January under 200 pounds...

This is my history.... In 2007 I hit 225 pounds, at just over 5 foot that's a lot... I freaked out and asked my best friend, a marathon runner to help me exercise. She did, but I suffered an injury and I stopped. I worked on eating less and got down to about 215.... I stayed steady for a year and then dropped down about 5 pounds which I maintained for the next several years. I met and married my husband and was 207 on my wedding day in 2013. Before you knew it I was up to 222 pounds again. I found a healthy cookbook and resolved to make all my meals. I went down to 212 in 2014.

We tried to build a family but without success. I joined bicycle groups to get through the depression in 2016. By 2017 I completed my first century ride. Even though I was eating less and exercising more I was holding steady at 205 pounds. Each year I'd get down to about 195 pounds, then the holidays, and by January I'd be up past 200 again. I was so confused. I asked my doctor to check my thyroid, my hormones etc, but I've always been healthy. Nothing was never wrong.

But then one day my brother in law wondered how many calories I really ate... I swore just 1600... Which for my height would put me at about 210 pounds anyway... But with all my exercise would put me at exactly where I was... So the answer was that I was just eating too much.

This year I decided to just clean up my diet by 50 calories... And its finally coming off... But all these habits I've been developing over the years are finally accumulating enough that its finally working. Today I weighed 183 pounds... My goal is to weigh in the normal range for a person my height... I already left obese level 3, and this year I left obese level 2... I'm in obese level 1 now and overweight is just around the corner. I know I'll make it, although it might just take me another 6 years. The goal is to be healthy and happy. When I plateau again, I'll take off another 50 calories... You can always clean up your diet by 50 calories.

Replies

• Kathi7501
    Kathi7501 Posts: 62 Member
    That's so fantastic! Really happy for you that you're finally seeing the results of all the good habits you've been working toward. I'm on the tail end of two really bad years that included the death of my mother, two surgeries, two other procedures, pneumonia and other infections/injuries that have severely dampened my ability to exercise and my motivation to do much else. I'm at 227 now and have been working with a nutritionist for the past two weeks and am hoping she'll be able to help guide me through some challenges that would normally derail me. So far so good, so I'm optimistic.

Congrats on your success!
  • Railgrl
    Railgrl Posts: 21 Member
    Congrats! 190-200 is my comfort zone but I gained 20 lb in 2029! Hoping to get back to my zone and find ways to maintain it.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Yay congrats!!! Keep going you're doing great
  • IAmGainingHealth
    IAmGainingHealth Posts: 18 Member
    Well done!
  • Goldstr324
    Goldstr324 Posts: 19 Member
    Inspiring!
  • LuluGetsHealthy
    LuluGetsHealthy Posts: 1 Member
    This is my exact struggle. I needed this today! Thanks for sharing
  • sashimimaniac
    sashimimaniac Posts: 71 Member
    congratulations! your advice is really motivating. i’m going to look at my diet again and see if i can clean it up anywhere :)