WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,062 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    🎄🤶 30 days of Gratitude for Christmas 🎅🏻🎄
    #1, 15 Nov: Scents: loved the smell of the roses I put into my Floral arrangement
    #2, 16 Nov:Technology: Glad that I had my car and didn’t have to stand in the cold waiting for a bus
    #3, 17 Nov: Colour: the colour of the beautiful sunset as I walked home in the late afternoon
    z8iz97lle1ip.jpg
    #4, 18 Nov: Food: Fresh produce form my own garden ..... or ....... Chocolate! 🍫 My ultimate comfort food

#5, 19 Nov: Sound: I'm grateful for the sound of DH moving about downstairs. It's very comforting.
    #6: In Nature: I love the view of the night sky from my bedroom window on clear nights
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,526 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Greetings one and all.

It’s only been four days with some quick replies and I feel like I am a week behind. Tomorrow will be another food-filled day, it’s our Annual Thanksgiving Potluck at work. The company provides turkey and all of the fixings, in addition to pork roast. I am going to partake and will lean heavy towards the vegetable dishes so I have some calories for a sweet treat. One of the gals makes the best flan and I must have a taste of it. I am prepared for a very light breakfast and dinner.

Barbara – Love the Tumble and Shadow show. They are adorable together and it looks like the pups are getting along. Animals, like humans, have to take measure of each other.
    Kenna – Welcome to a fine group of supportive and diverse women.
    KJ – Wow, you are a minimalist! The bread looks wonderful. The kids are so lucky to have you!
    Rita – I hope your pharmacist friend is able to help with the medications and it’s a timing thing versus another trip to the doctor’s office!
    Pip – Yogi is adorable. He looks like such a happy pup.
    Changeisnoww – Welcome.
    Machka – Thank you for the password information.
    JanetR – Big hugs to you.
    Kim – Looking forward to seeing some cookie pictures! What a nice tradition.
    Heather – Glad the new route worked out. And, all agree with the financial plan.
    Terre – Welcome back – looking forward to getting to know you. Congratulations on your permanent employment.
    Amber – Great bargain shopping. Your little man certainly keeps you on your toes!
    Meg – So sorry to hear about your dear friend.
    Lanett – Love Dodo. When I get stressed at work, I pull up a video and it melts away.
    Suchaprettyface70 – Welcome.
    Bananasandoranges – You have some schedule. Glad you found the walking path.
    Yvonne – I will never look at my toilet in the same way. I always think about the poor souls without access to potable water and how difficult life could be if I was born in another place.
    Vicki – Sorry to hear about your niece. Big hug. Hope the heater issue is just an adjustment.
    Rori – Happy for you getting the support you and DH need. Hoping more good and support is on its way to you.
    Annie – Yeah! No more PT!
    Viv – Hope the kitchen is finished soon. It’s such a life adjustment while things are being redone – especially the kitchen!
    Annie – What a great trip planned. And, a motivator to hit your go
    Michelle – Glad you’re happy with the new do. Great price!

Wishing everyone sparks of happiness.
    SuziQ – Broward County, FL

He is, loves being with us
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Got a cold but not stopping. Getting stuff ready for JR to Daughter still. Tired but no time to be.
    Amber Tx
    Tired of sneezing 🤧 y throat itching... any itchy throat remedies out there that work for you?
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,526 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym, windy- 7.52min, 140mhr, 12.1amph, 1.58mi= 87c
    apple watch- 63c
    MANUAL TREADMILL, walk- w/some slow jogs- 40min, 106ahr, 130mhr, 2.25mi= 242c
    apple watch- 276c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.30min, 141mhr, 16mph, 1.46mi= 70c
    apple watch- 49c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 16.14min, 148mhr, 11.3amph, 3.05mi= 174c
    apple watch- 110c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 5.28min, 144mhr, 9.27min mi, .57mi= 65c
    apple watch- 60c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.27min, 9.51min mi, 147mhr, .45mi= 81c
    4apple watch- 81c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 14.30min, 11.3amph, 145mhr, 2.55mi= 211c
    apple watch- 113c

total cal 930
  • Maritill
    Maritill Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well, I ended up with a ham sandwich for supper. Play practice went longer than it was supposed to but the play starts next Friday. It is going to be rough until then as I have to get her there as parents have to work. I still went over, not by much. Now to see what tomorrow brings .
    Marianne-WV
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😴
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Beautiful Day!

"Beauty surrounds us. It is in music, pictures, flowers, people, and pretty much everything else. It is in the smallest and most mundane things we walk past on the street, and in Earth's most magnificent landforms. Today all things of beauty are celebrated. It is unclear who created the day or when they did so, but by doing it they truly did something beautiful."

Annie - Congratulations on getting through your physical therapy!

Maritill - I second Mary's advice about exercising to give you a calorie buffer. It may sound frivolous, but seriously the biggest motivator to exercise for me is that I get to eat more. I don't go out of my way to eat back all the calories from exercise, but I do appreciate having that extra margin of error. Other than that, just read every label and for things that are high in calories, think hard about whether you could use less, find a substitute, or go without. For example, I find that a salad tastes fine with a tablespoon or less of dressing.

Michele - Oh, man, I'd be in big trouble if I worked somewhere with free ice cream!

Heather - I'm with you: I want to spend our eating out money exploring food we can't get at home. I've never really understood the appeal of a steak restaurant, for instance, when we can do that at home for a fraction of the price. And when we're out of town I try to avoid chains in favor of local restaurants for the same reason.

I worked extra hard at the gym yesterday and went up on almost all the weights. I had some twinges today but I'll bet I feel it even more tomorrow! I'll have to miss the second workout this week unless we decide to go tomorrow, and I don't know if I'll be ready for weights again so soon. But we're getting ready to leave town so we won't be able to do our usual Friday workout.

When we get back from Aggieland I really need to hit the ground running because there is so much to do! It's time for my mammogram, and I need to make an appointment with the dentist, and I need an eye exam so I can get my scratched-up glasses replaced, on top of all the various holiday planning and shopping and cooking.

Hope you beautiful people find beauty all around today!

-Yvonne in TX
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    Maritill wrote: »
    Machka,
    I don't prelog my food as every day can be different and I'm on the go a lot of time. I have started weighing my food in the last month with a scale. Thgvg is Thanksgiving abbreviation. Salads were iceberg, carrots, cucumbers, sometimes onions,celery & cherry tomatoes when I grew them-sweet vidalia onion dressing by the TBSP. Yes. I go for a walk every day I can as I have hip & back pain. Am I doing it right? I've been with MFP for 6 yrs, ?
    ydailey wrote: »
    Maritill - I second Mary's advice about exercising to give you a calorie buffer. It may sound frivolous, but seriously the biggest motivator to exercise for me is that I get to eat more. I don't go out of my way to eat back all the calories from exercise, but I do appreciate having that extra margin of error. Other than that, just read every label and for things that are high in calories, think hard about whether you could use less, find a substitute, or go without. For example, I find that a salad tastes fine with a tablespoon or less of dressing.
    -Yvonne in TX

I agree. IF I use dressing, and I rarely do, I'm happy with about a teaspoon's worth. Even on my burritos, they want to give me about 4 "lines" of dressing up and down and I tell them to gently squeeze slightly less than 1 line of it.

I can taste the veggies and other food better without it! :)

M in Oz
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Also going to schedule appointment to check out widows benefits, A rep I talked to at work said that since I am 65 and still working, I should be able to get some of my husband's social security. Don't know what amount it may be, but he worked for it and I will take whatever I can. Will most likely just put it in the grandkid's college fund so there is something there from Papa.

While not responding to everything, keeping those having difficulties in my prayers.

Take care,

Ginny in Ohio

Hi Ginny.

Be very clear at the SS office to ask for "restricted" benefits as a widow. It's usually best to make an appointment because this is a specialized request and you will want to speak to someone who has been trained in this area. By "restricting" the widow's claim it will allow your SS to remain as is and continue to grow (as we all know 70 is the ideal age because our benefits grow approximately 7% per year between full and late retirement years). You can research online - there's a lot of information there even if you ignore all of the complex stuff (calculations and such) you can glean enough to see the benefits of restricting your claim. When you decide to officially retire you can then switch to your benefits, if the monthly amount is higher. If not you can continue to claim your husband's SS. Because of my age I have to wait until I am 60 to speak to them about a restricted claim and because of my birth year (the rules keep changing for the last of the baby boomers) I may or may not be able to claim widow's benefits.

Sorry to hear about your manager/co-worker.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Day 7 - November 21
    I am grateful for all of my memories. Bad memories are there to remind me of all of the good memories and there are many good ones. There are too many for me to select just one which is also a reminder to enjoy each day because we never know when a moment in time will bring sheer joy.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Went to ceramics tonight and picked up my crab and the mug I made to take to FL.
    Michele in NC

The crab is very cute and the mug is perfect for Florida.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Barbara-yes, I do indeed mean Medicare (you would think I would keep that straight since I am responsible for department that handles Medicaid!) When enrolling for part A it gave notice about B and penalty so I clicked and after paperwork came I was kicking my butt. The local rep from SSA I talked to at a retirement fair my employer hosted assured me I am not the first person to make that error. I am covered by employer insurance and have no need for Part B yet. When I do retire, our retirement system currently handles signing up for any of the supplementals.

Suzi-yes, she was very clear that it is a restricted benefit and may change when I get to 66 and retire. I will not receive full SS benefit since I have full service in a government retirement. I will be working until I turn 66 so will most likely receive the partial from my own SS.

I agree with most here--buffets are not my favorite. I will go with group occasionally to one, but even before I was watching food, I wouldn't eat everything there, just the one or two things I really like. Would rather have a special meal when I eat out.

Off to start my day,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka do the heart valve issues cause you pain? Had to google orecchiette, “panache” of vegetables, buttered pink eyes, burghul and Berliners. Sounds pretty fancy to me... enjoy!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie

No ... I don't think so. The arrhythmias are a little annoying at times, and there's speculation that the reason my heart rate doesn't do what coaches etc. think it should when I exercise is because of the valve issues. But it's not too bad.

I actually had to google orecchiette and burghul too ... and then discovered I know both by other names. :)

I'm expecting the buffet will be quite fancy! :) They had me at "Roasted root vegetables, ancient grains, goat’s feta, salsa verde" under the salad selection ... I've had similar elsewhere here and enjoyed it.

The buffet was a bit on the pricey side, but it's Christmas! :) Looking forward to it!

Machka in Oz