Gaining weight on a liquid diet

Hello everyone! I was just diagnosed with a rare disorder called SMA syndrome. Basically, I have an artery that is constricting my small intestine. The only non surgical way for me to fix this is to gain weight. I am am6 foot and 124 pounds and on an all liquid diet. Does anyone have any high calorie soup recipes to share? I would greatly appreciate it

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Make cream based soups. Basically stock and veggies and then heavy whipping cream blend it in a food processor or blender until smooth. You can add extra oil to this if you want to. Your smoothies/protein shakes can have added liquid coconut oil(coconut because the flavour blends better than olive or something), peanut butter, avocado, and again with the cream. Maybe start with small servings as many of the things I listed are not technically “liquid”. But you asked for soups so that is what I would attempt.

I have never had to deal with a digestive issue like this. I hope you can get some relief!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Heavy whipping cream, full fat sour cream, full fat cottage cheese and yogurts. Add some to the top of your soups. Can you add nut butters to your shakes, macadamia nut oil and avocado oil. Try LaTourangelle organic high oleic sunflower oil...tasteless, perfect for high temp cooking. 130 calories a tablespoon. Add it to everything.

824662000020-1_1_1.jpg?w=2000
  • Diatonic12
    La-Tourangelle-Organic-Sun-Coco-Oil-Blend-854259005268.jpg
  • Diatonic12
    They have everything so you'll have a wide variety of tastes.

NutOils-1195x450.jpg
  • Diatonic12
    The sky is not the limit.

Organic-1195x450.jpg
  • Diatonic12
    SpecialtyOils-1-1195x450.jpg
  • Diatonic12
    When you're on the fly and don't have time to make homemade soups, get some junior baby food and add a wide variety of oils to them so you don't get bored.

Infused-1195x450.jpg
  • Diatonic12
    Blended: Cream cheese chicken soup and cream cheese potato soup, cream cheese tomato, cream cheese pumpkin or butternut squash soup.

Think blended here.

soup-View-1-jpg.jpg
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,145 Member
    I’m not familiar with SMA, but have gastroparesis and it looks like many of the symptoms are similar. While fats are a great way to increase calories, I would caution you strongly about adding it in large amounts all at once. With my problems, fat can be difficult to digest and even if that’s not the case for you, sudden big increases in dietary fat can cause other types of “gastric distress”.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I’m not familiar with SMA, but have gastroparesis and it looks like many of the symptoms are similar. While fats are a great way to increase calories, I would caution you strongly about adding it in large amounts all at once. With my problems, fat can be difficult to digest and even if that’s not the case for you, sudden big increases in dietary fat can cause other types of “gastric distress”.

I also have gastroparesis but rely on j tube feedings (directly into my jejunum skipping over my stomach)of a semi elemental formula (Vital peptide 1.5 cal) plus some intake by mouth. I also suggest that you be careful with fats. I have to stay low fat/low fibre by mouth. Both of those can slow down digestion a lot.
  • Diatonic12
    Hello everyone! I was just diagnosed with a rare disorder called SMA syndrome. Basically, I have an artery that is constricting my small intestine. The only non surgical way for me to fix this is to gain weight. I am am6 foot and 124 pounds and on an all liquid diet. Does anyone have any high calorie soup recipes to share? I would greatly appreciate it

As with all medical conditions, no one here can diagnose what you should or should not do. I can tell you how to stack weight back on like a freight train but only your doctor can steer you towards the foods you should eat. Google is your best friend for soup recipes and you can blend all of them.