So you want a nice stomach

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    reina1979 wrote: »
    Looks like we need to bump. How long did it take for some of you to see your flat stomach? I'm 5 weeks in, trying to look forward to the next mini milestone of two months :)

My stomach is a ways away from "flat" but I've been doing progressive weight lifting for a few years and while I'm still in the "over weight" BMI range, I can see my obliques and the top 4 abdominal muscles are outlined. I'll probably need to lose about 12 more pounds before I start getting a center-line indent, but it's kind of cool that I can be this heavy and still see my muscles...

It's also kind of cool to know my body well enough that I can tell you that I need to lose about 12 more pounds to see a specific change in my body.
  • My stomach ain’t flat but there’s less fat than when I was heavier and not strength training. I think I’m one of those people who needs to put some direct core work into their programming but honestly I can’t increase my time at the gym atm. I’m focussing in other body parts namely legs and bum. The 6 pack is likely not achievable for me ever or maybe only at a competition level of leanness. Which isn’t a goal of mine presently.
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    I'll probably never have revealed abs or anything but I'd sure be happy with a tighter tummy..sitting at 21% body fat ATM so I still have a ways to go..but I'm finally just letting it happen now, no more "belly fat blasting" diets, compounds, potions, tinctures, herbs, magic spells, etc.. lol.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    jm_1234 wrote: »
    IIFYM isn't the healthiest of diet plans. Yes, it get's results, but so does the Twinkie Diet. Abs and malnourished shouldn't be the goal.

IIFYM doesn't leave people malnourished.
  • Wow, the IIFYM debate has livened this thread up.

IIFYM has been a game changer for me. It’s not for everyone though. I like the flexibility and my diet is reasonably nutritious overall.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited November 2019
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    IIFYM isn't the healthiest of diet plans. Yes, it get's results, but so does the Twinkie Diet. Abs and malnourished shouldn't be the goal.

IIFYM doesn't leave people malnourished.

It can. If one gets the vast majority their "correct" % of carbs from nutrient poor food as opposed to fruits, veggies, whole grains they will have a good chance of being malnourished.
  • sammivictoria1
    sammivictoria1 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you!! I’ve tried this last week and already am seeing results! I did try to eat leaner meats to digest easily
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited November 2019
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's actually pretty easy to be malnourished and hit your macros on any diet. My point with the original post was IIFYM is bad from a foundational/core principle perspective - eat whatever you want if it fits your macros. Yes, we can massage the definition into eat healthy and just have a cheat meal every so often as long as it fits your macros, but that is not truly IIFYM.

Hidden hunger: America’s growing malnutrition epidemic
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/10/nutrition-hunger-food-children-vitamins-us

Americans Are Malnourished (But Not for the Reasons You'd Think)
    https://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/americans-are-malnourished-not-reasons-youd-think

Quoted directly from IIFYM website:
    * Eat less food than you were eating when you gained weight
    * Move your body more than you currently are, to help get your blood flowing (this will also help with digestion which is a good thing).
    * Focus on being consistent. Though accuracy is super important and pretty much, undeniable.
    * …and if you can, try to get a wide variety of foods that are high in micronutrients, minerals, electoleyes, phytonutrients, plant sterols and probiotics (fermented foods are easy enough).

Otherwise, get loads of sleep, lower stress and perform those things that add to your happiness rather than add to your chaos and before long, you will have the physique and the life you want.

So terrible. Not.

P.S. Misspellings are all theirs. Note that I didn't unfairly chop the "if you can".

A zillion blogs and diet/fitness IG "experts" and such out there giving advice . . . the IIFYM advice is substantially better and more level-headed than most.

Also note: I'm not any kind of disciple or devotee of formal IIFYM. I have nutritional goals, and I try to hit them the overwhelming majority of the time. That's it.

Agree, not terrible, pretty much common sense. Personally don't like the "and if you can, try to get a wide variety of foods that are high in micronutrients, minerals, electoleyes, phytonutrients, plant sterols and probiotics (fermented foods are easy enough)." Be a *kitten* adult and do it.

I didn't realize the self acknowledged founder if IIFYM has no formal training in nutrition.

https://www.iifym.com/about-iifym/

He's basically telling people to do what the CDC tells people to do for free and getting rich off it. It's all in the marketing. CDC does't up up random before and after pictures on their site. But I guess if it helps people great.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Bumping for the new year.

*waves

Hey, chica! Good to "see" you.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Bumping for the new year.

*waves

Hey, chica! Good to "see" you.

Hi! Might be actually seeing you at a meet (or randomly at a fight) this year. 2019 was harsh.