Finally "Normal" BMI

Ever since having my daughter in 2014, it's been quite a struggle to finally be able to figure this eating thing out. Now I feel like I get it. My heaviest weight after having her was 210. (It's so weird writing that. ) I am 5'8.

In the last 5 years I would lose some, put it back on, lose some again....and repeat the cycle. I wish I could say there was 1 thing that turned my mindset around. But honestly, it was a combination of things.

1. Reading Nerd Fitness - haha I know...but if you haven't read Steve's overall ideas about NOT having an all-or-nothing mentality when it comes to eating and exercise...I would highly recommend it. His website is full of great blog posts.
2. Realizing (to go along with the one above) that this really isn't an all or nothing endeavor. I would ALWAYS get stuck in this cycle: do really well with my food for a couple days, then I would "mess up" and overeat the next day. I would tell myself, "well, I guess I'll just start over next week." Then completely blow any deficit I'd created in those first few days by starting over. NOW if I indulge, I simply get back to my plan ON THE VERY NEXT MEAL. Or the next day, or whatever. As long as I follow my plan MOST of the time, in the long run, I'm still in a caloric deficit, and will lose weight. I know this now. Sure, sometimes it takes me 2 weeks to lose a pound instead of 1. But, this has allowed me to still LIVE and not feel deprived. Trust the process, and realize it's not a race.
3. Strong By Zumba. This workout is no joke. I LOVE it.
4. Strength training. I can't say enough how important this is. Whether it's body weight, with dumbbells, or barbells, we need this in our lives. I currently only do it twice a week but it's been a difference maker in how my legs and body overall are shaping up.

All of that to say: I'm now 164, which is officially in the "normal" range for BMI. I am not done yet, but I just wanted to share to hopefully motivate someone today. Remember: the weight didnt come on overnight, so it does take time. Trust the process, and realize it doesnt have to be all-or-nothing. (I'm eating a donut as I type this LOL.)
My phone is not letting me add pics at the moment but I'll try to edit the post later.
Thanks, and keep going!! Our health is worth it.

Replies

• kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Thank you for sharing @HeatherLeAnn622 I had my oldest in 2009 and my youngest in 2014 and I have been up and down my whole adult life. I did get pretty close to goal in 2017 but kinda gave up. I am back this year with a whole new attitude. I wanted to add I love NerdFitness he has seriously helped me answer so many questions. also I started a Zumba dance class and thats really helping me too. they offer a Strong by Zumba class and I might just check it out.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    congrats on your progress!
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Congratulations!

I have just hit normal BMI too, and totally agree with your points. I am doing so much better now that I have stopped with the all or nothing approach - yes it's slow, but it fits in with my life, and all those other parts of my life are just as important too.

(It's taken me a bit longer to lose the "baby weight"...my youngest turns 10 tomorrow!!)
  • victory291
    victory291 Posts: 15 Member
    @HeatherLeAnn622 thanks for the good advice about not having an all or nothing mentality. And congratulations on your success!
  • momefee
    momefee Posts: 66 Member
    Inspiring words, thanks! And you look so healthy and strong! Great job. I'm 5'8" SW 208 with a goal of 164, so this was very inspiring to see.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!