Lossing Belly Fat with dieting only

Dear MFPs,

Good Morning,

I would like to know, is it possible to lose belly fat only by sticking and eating less calories and not doing any excersie

I would be thankful for your guidance in this regards.

Thanks
Muhammad

Replies

• nasim_nasri
    nasim_nasri Posts: 19 Member
    Thanks Sir,

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited November 2019
    Sadly for many of us you cannot spot reduce - meaning you can’t choose or influence where any excess fat is lost from!

Losing weight will help by reducing the amount of fat overall, of course, but often the tummy is the last place to go!

Exercise is not essential but would certainly help to tone up what’s under the fat covering which can help, but losing the weight is probably a good place to start!

The bolded has not been my experience. I lost from an area for awhile (including my stomach) and then the weight loss caravan would move and set up shop somewhere else for a time. If there was still fat to lose it would return eventually to a place it had already been for another wave of loss.

I had A LOT of weight to lose though so that might explain it.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Sadly for many of us you cannot spot reduce - meaning you can’t choose or influence where any excess fat is lost from!

Losing weight will help by reducing the amount of fat overall, of course, but often the tummy is the last place to go!

Exercise is not essential but would certainly help to tone up what’s under the fat covering which can help, but losing the weight is probably a good place to start!

The bolded has not been my experience. I lost from an area for awhile (including my stomach) and then the weight loss caravan would move and set up shop somewhere else for a time. If there was still fat to lose it would return eventually to a place it had already been for another wave of loss.

I appreciate there’s no hard and fast rules where the human body is concerned, hence my use of ‘often’ rather than ‘always’! 😉

But really, I think there’s an element of how much you have to lose, gender and genetics at play.
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Hiya nasim.
    Try doing the ab challenge.i did this and it helped my tummy go down.i didn’t get abs but it made it look less podgy aswell as counting calories and reducing carbs of course.
    I think some of the time we are bloated and that can make our bellies look bigger and the things we eat/drink
    It’s really hard to lose weight in certain areas when dieting but if you certain exercises like sit ups for tummy and squats for booty then I think it helps xx
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Yes, you will definitely lose belly fat through diet alone. Exercise will help with definition
  • You can lose get from all over your body with no exercise. Calorie deficit is what makes that happen
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

I appreciate there’s no hard and fast rules where the human body is concerned, hence my use of ‘often’ rather than ‘always’! 😉

But really, I think there’s an element of how much you have to lose, gender and genetics at play.

I wasn't trying to correct you. I was just trying to add a layer to the answer.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member

Totally understood! And in fact I agree with you too...there’s definitely a layer by layer tendency, no matter the gender, genetic predisposition. I always lose neck, collar bone, thigh and bum first, trunk next, then back to the start, the next round begins, I’ve never had more than 30lbs to lose at any point but it does ‘peel’ off in layers! Sounds vile when I put it like that...but I see it as if it goes on a reverse of the way it creeps on.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,015 Member

Totally understood! And in fact I agree with you too...there’s definitely a layer by layer tendency, no matter the gender, genetic predisposition. I always lose neck, collar bone, thigh and bum first, trunk next, then back to the start, the next round begins, I’ve never had more than 30lbs to lose at any point but it does ‘peel’ off in layers! Sounds vile when I put it like that...but I see it as if it goes on a reverse of the way it creeps on.

Man, I wish mine were more "layer by layer" like an onion or something. Just as you did, I also had the effect of different areas depleting more at different times, in varied phases . . . but it was less an effect of "peeling off the outside" and more a "deflating fat mass" kind of thing, with areas getting squishy and kind of droopy along the way, until a particular area had lost most of its excess fat.

It created kind of a misimpression about how droopy I might be in the long run, but it turned out that after the fat was pretty well gone, things started to tighten up and look better. Whew!

But, yeah, the fat loss is all about the calorie deficit, and we don't get to pick where it comes off first or last, or how it looks along the way, unfortunately. :grimace:

Pretty OK in the long run, though. :)
  • nasim_nasri
    nasim_nasri Posts: 19 Member
    Thanks MFPs,

Appreciate your replies.

I know it is a long journey but this time I am motivated enough to nail it (InshALLAH)

It is a very good community helping each other.