Night coffee drinker

kittyhicks1041
kittyhicks1041 Posts: 2 Member
edited November 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Is it bad to drink black coffee in late evening? I love coffee and never have sleep issues with it, but have heard that is screws up metabolism in evenings.

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Metabolism relates heavily to circadian rhythm, so possibly only if it messes with your sleep? I drink coffee whenever and have no problem losing weight.

Not from the coffee anyway.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    if it doesn't affect your sleep, it will be fine.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Nah coffee is fine if its not stopping you from sleeping... I have to limit mine after 7pm or I end up having to go to the loo countless times and sometimes even have to get up during the night.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    I just read something about the long half-life of caffeine, and how even if you can get to sleep, it might disturb your sleep later on. https://www.thelifepilot.com/sleepguide/caffeine-half-life/

I now switch to decaf after 3 PM.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I just read something about the long half-life of caffeine, and how even if you can get to sleep, it might disturb your sleep later on. https://www.thelifepilot.com/sleepguide/caffeine-half-life/

I now switch to decaf after 3 PM.

That's me! Thanks for the article.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    If I want coffee at night, I just do decaf. If you're worried about it, you can slowly add in more decaf until it's full decaf at night.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    My very non expert thoughts on this is that there is a difference between being asleep and being in a good quality sleep. Just because caffeine does not keep you up does not mean it has no impact.

How that affects your metabolism is something I can't talk about intelligently. I don't worry too much about things like that despite the internet trying to scare me or sell me on an idea that it can be dramatically improved. My metabolism keeps me alive and there is only so much down downshifting it can do before very bad things happen.
  • Tiagosoares17
    Tiagosoares17 Posts: 3 Member
    There are here people saying that it doesn't affect them, but that ain't true. It might not prevent them from falling asleep, which is the case with some people, but it is well documented that it affects deep sleep.

That means even though you sleep the same amount of time, compared to not taking caffeine close to sleep, the person who does not take it, will increase the chances of having a better sleep - recovery, memory, and many other benefits.

I have studied the issue, and done personal experiments as well with my clients (I do coaching), and we ALWAYS saw improvements when we cut the caffeine. How do we know? We track the sleep with some tools.

After 5 pm, don't take more caffeine if possible. Go with decafs if you like the taste.

And if you want to improve your sleep, this video will help: https://youtu.be/LFnE_9-gSQA
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,550 Member
    I love a good cup or two of coffee after dinner but then I can't sleep well. I now have a big mug of tea unless I'm driving far at night. I don't like the taste of decaf but it could be that I've just had lost decaf coffee.