Quit drinking=Become lean..er

Will keep it short. Within 7 months of being alcohol-free I “somehow” lost 16kg (96kg in late March)..
How about such simple action to drop few kgs? *yup, without any superb fat-loss workout plans

Replies

• IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    edited November 2019
    Congratulations! 😀
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Yay you! That takes some true grit. My friend lost 30 lbs in 6 months when they stopped drinking IPA hoppy craft beers and didn't change anything else.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Great job! Alcohol has a lot of calories in it, and if you drank consistently, that is a lot of excess calories that you now are no longer giving your body. So you naturally created a calorie deficit for yourself by this one simple step. For some people, it's as simple as what you did (or giving up soda or some other thing that they like to indulge in).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Great job! Alcohol has a lot of calories in it, and if you drank consistently, that is a lot of excess calories that you now are no longer giving your body. So you naturally created a calorie deficit for yourself by this one simple step. For some people, it's as simple as what you did (or giving up soda or some other thing that they like to indulge in).

This. I call it an elimination diet. You create a deficit by eliminating some large calorie source of your day. I have known many people who lost 20-50 pounds just eliminating full calorie soda. Eliminating carbs works for a lot of people as does eliminating a meal like breakfast.

With alcohol it makes even more sense. Not only are you eliminating a lot of calories but also the food you ate with it while possibly less inhibited than normal.

The only danger is that calories can creep back up to replace the eliminated ones if you are not logging and tracking your food.

I am guilty of saying "Don't try to force weight loss just let hit happen" a lot lately but this proves that it can happen even without it being a goal.

Congrats on the weight loss and learning to live without alcohol.
  • XLNC1981
    XLNC1981 Posts: 114 Member
    Impressive - I too have knocked alcohol on the head until I get to where I want to be weight wise. I guess moderation is king. How do you feel at 16kg lighter? Any noticeable energy changes? I too want to drop a similar amount and have started my journey 🙏🏽
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    it is amazing how many calories are in alcohol.
    good work :)
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Congrats! That is fantastic. You should be proud!👏
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Yes! Sadly, it works!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Will keep it short. Within 7 months of being alcohol-free I “somehow” lost 16kg (96kg in late March)..
    How about such simple action to drop few kgs? *yup, without any superb fat-loss workout plans

Because alcohol has a *kitten* ton of calories...there's really no such thing as a fat loss workout plan...fat loss is about consuming fewer calories than you expend...if you were drinking frequently and/or a lot, you were consuming a lot of empty calories that aren't being replaced.
  • anna246marie
    anna246marie Posts: 15 Member
    Well done! I too have given up alcohol, mainly because I was bored of the anxiety that came the next day. Even one drink would set it off 😬
    I’m amazed by how much weight iv lost from not drinking! My skin is sooo much better too 😍 cheers ☕️
  • GoJohnGo71
    GoJohnGo71 Posts: 439 Member
    I've dramatically cut down to the point that I hardly drink anymore. 👍
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    I'm over halfway to goal and no alcohol is a key component. I do give myself (usually) planned breaks (next one is Thanksgiving.. woot!).

For me eliminating alcohol has two benefits: 1) the cals in the alcohol and 2) so, *everyone* has a fourth meal of whatever-snacks-are-available-whether-it-be-chips-chocolate-etc-despite-eating-healthy-all-day-and-sees-how-fast-you-can-destroy-your-deficit-right-before-bed....right?

One drink leads to the latter for me.
  • Yep agree. I was a regular drinker say half a bottle of wine 4 or 5 nights a week. I realised that if I cut that right down I would have a deficit. Bingo. I’m surprised at how little I miss it.

Great job OP.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited November 2019
    When I abruptly stopped drinking cold turkey in December 2012, I regained 13.6 kg by March that had taken me the prior to ~15 months to drop. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!